Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Do you not get fresh products in the states?

Do you not get fresh products in the states?
moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Nov 27, 2011, 02:30 AM

I was searching the web for Beef stroganoff recipes and the first 3 links are below:

Food Network (US)
Beef Stroganoff Recipe : Paula Deen : Food Network
1 (10 3/4-ounce) can cream of mushroom soup??

All recipes
Beef Stroganoff III Recipe - Allrecipes.com
1 (6 ounce) can sliced mushrooms, drained??

Betty Crocker
Classic Beef Stroganoff Recipe from Betty Crocker
1 1/2 cups Progresso® beef flavored broth (from 32-ounce carton)

These are ingredients you would expect to find in post war europe - yet they seem common place in US recipe sites - is it really tough to get fresh food? Do people really put cans of soup in other food? Do people really eat tinned mushrooms?

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 27, 2011, 03:08 AM

It's called being a lazy american't

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Nov 27, 2011, 03:16 AM

I am almost definitely not representative, but the only time I eat mushrooms that come out of a can is when I use cream of mushroom soup in a recipe. And the only time I do that is when I'm making some highly midwestern casserole of some sort or other (usually a tuna noodle casserole), which is very rare.

Fresh ingredients are certainly available in the US, but, for some reason, it would appear that many Americans can't/won't/don't use them.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Nov 27, 2011, 05:10 AM

Especially with mushrooms, I find that some recipes just need the canned ones.

I have a killer recipe for cheese soup which calls for minced meat, processed cheese, and a glass of mushrooms (among other things). It's just not right with fresh mushrooms.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Nov 27, 2011, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
Especially with mushrooms, I find that some recipes just need the canned ones.

I have a killer recipe for cheese soup which calls for minced meat, processed cheese, and a glass of mushrooms (among other things). It's just not right with fresh mushrooms.
It seems odd to me that something with meat in it would be called a cheese soup. Actually cheese soup kinda sounds wrong anyway.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 27, 2011, 09:06 AM

Well....it's convenient, isn't it?
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Nov 27, 2011, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
It seems odd to me that something with meat in it would be called a cheese soup. Actually cheese soup kinda sounds wrong anyway.
Main flavor is the processed cheese. The minced meat is there for substance and as a carrier, with leeks, champignons, and (I'm not so much a fan) corn. It's thick soup, almost a stew. Yum.

andi*pandi
Nov 27, 2011, 02:08 PM

It's a time saver.

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 27, 2011, 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
Killer recipe? Yes, I believe that could kill you. In fact, I think Mastrap's chest constricted just reading that.

I often create recipes from an amalgam of online recipes, and yeah, I close most US cooking sites pretty quickly.

Recipe: Thai Green Curry.

Ingredients: 1x packet green curry powder. Water.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Nov 27, 2011, 11:17 PM

I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

CollinG3G4
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 28, 2011, 01:47 AM

Originally Posted by moonmonkey View Post
Do people really put cans of soup in other food? Do people really eat tinned mushrooms?
The canned cream of mushroom soup consists of tiny bits of mushroom in a weak cream sauce. It's used primarily as a base, like vegetable broth, and rarely eaten as a soup. Same deal with cream of chicken soup.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 28, 2011, 02:00 AM

Yeah... I can't see going to the effort of making cream of mushroom soup from scratch when it's only being used to serve a larger recipe.

That said, I think to understand why recipes have gone the way they have insofar as calling for ready-ingredients, I think one needs to understand that Americans have the longest work weeks in the western world. That fact has slowly shaped many things in our society, as one would expect it to.

However, using canned/jarred/frozen ingredients has one major advantage beyond making things easier; packaged veggies are generally healthier by nutritional value than fresh produce because they're washed and flash-cooked almost immediately after being picked, locking in the nutritional value. 'Fresh' vegetables, on the other hand, spend anywhere from days to weeks off the vine before showing up on a shelf, and by that time have essentially died. Then there's the cooking process they would go through in your own kitchen, which is as well far slower than what packaged veggies are put through.
( Last edited by Lateralus; Nov 28, 2011 at 02:08 AM. )
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

Ω
Mac Elite
Nov 28, 2011, 02:11 AM

Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
I think one needs to understand that Americans have the longest work weeks in the western world.
I work 60+ hours a week and don't eat shit from a can.

"angels bleed from the tainted touch of my caress"

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 28, 2011, 07:06 AM

How?

I'm actually curious. At a minimum of 60 hours a week, I'll assume you're then working 6 days a week, 10 hours a day, from 8am to 6pm. That doesn't leave you much time to make all your meals from scratch.

I generally use a mix - some stuff is pre-packaged, but I try to have fresh whenever possible. But it simply takes much longer to cook everything from scratch, and I work long hours and don't want to spend too much of my precious time just doing food prep.

ghporter
Administrator
Nov 28, 2011, 07:45 AM

Using prepared ingredients does a couple of things. First, it saves time because the details of preparing the ingredients aren't part of the overall meal preparation. It also keeps you from having to have all the individual parts of the prepared stuff on-hand and fresh. And using prepared ingredients helps keep the way the resulting meal tastes as consistent as possible.

On the other hand, there certainly is a level of personal involvement that prepared ingredients removes from the process.

Final point: not all "prepared" ingredients are anywhere near the same. Case in point: the olive...

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 28, 2011, 09:20 AM

It also makes your meal, with very few exceptions, entirely less healthy than if everything was non-packaged. So there's always that.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Nov 28, 2011, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
I think one needs to understand that Americans have the longest work weeks in the western world.
This is so wrong... (Not the fact, but that it is a fact.)

I'm happy to be doing my part to pull that average down and maintain a relatively light workload despite making good money. Take that, suckers.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Nov 28, 2011, 10:52 AM

It's quite easy to get fresh produce in America during the growing season. Heard of farmer's markets? Pretty much any town has one.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 28, 2011, 11:17 AM

For me it's generally not the issue of getting fresh produce - it's the problem of using it. I get a bunch of cilantro and parsley and half of it goes bad within the week, because for one or two people you're not using it all before that happens.

At least up here in Canada, it's tougher to grow your own herbs for much of the year. I've started with green onion and parsley but I've already lost one of both plants - not much of a green thumb it seems, but in all fairness during winter months it gets down to 12 degrees C in my house during the day....

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 28, 2011, 11:53 AM

These recipes are catering toward busy families.

It's great to make everything from scratch, but with two working parents and kids, doing it every day is a pipe dream.

Sure, some may be able to pull it off, but we put our priorities in other areas.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Nov 28, 2011, 11:45 PM

Reminded me of this:
<Beaph> Whatcha gonna make?
<Alacard2k> Spaghetti, beef stroganoff, or tacos. I don't feel like the chicken tonight.
<Beaph> Mmm... Beef Strokin' off.
<Alacard2k> well it's down to two now

Ω
Mac Elite
Nov 29, 2011, 05:37 AM

Originally Posted by ShortcutToMoncton View Post
How?

I'm actually curious. At a minimum of 60 hours a week, I'll assume you're then working 6 days a week, 10 hours a day, from 8am to 6pm. That doesn't leave you much time to make all your meals from scratch.

I generally use a mix - some stuff is pre-packaged, but I try to have fresh whenever possible. But it simply takes much longer to cook everything from scratch, and I work long hours and don't want to spend too much of my precious time just doing food prep.
Work 7 days a week (Sunday being Gods day I only work about 4-5 hours doing paperwork), and typically the only things I have in the fridge is beer (and gin in the freezer). Work in a complex that has everything I need to cook a meal every night. May not be flash but still not sh*t from a can. I don't even own a can-opener. And when you can clock 40 hours in three days, getting past 60 is a breeze. I think my best effort was around 110 hours in a week where I was sleeping in my office and only going home to have showers.

Only really made the post to make fun of Lats for being downtrodden for being so hardworking! Poor 'Merkins.

"angels bleed from the tainted touch of my caress"

iM@k
Senior User
Nov 30, 2011, 12:19 PM

This link here shows the current culinary trends in the USA. for which I'm deeply embarrassed and ashamed:

5 Insanely Stupid Food Network Recipes | lovelyish
What, me worry?

andi*pandi
Nov 30, 2011, 01:06 PM

I think the food network, and Paula Deen in particular, has to fill the airtime with anything. I mean, krispy kreme sandwiches.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Nov 30, 2011, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by iM@k View Post
This link here shows the current culinary trends in the USA. for which I'm deeply embarrassed and ashamed:

Wow. That's just... wow.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 30, 2011, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
I think the food network, and Paula Deen in particular, has to fill the airtime with anything. I mean, krispy kreme sandwiches.
I remember when she was doing some sort of special with her sons and they made Snickers tacos. Really.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Nov 30, 2011, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by iM@k View Post

Bacon should never be cooked in a microwave. Not much should, but never bacon.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 30, 2011, 04:45 PM

In defense of those (seemingly stupid) recipes... I'm pretty sure that the Food Network has a policy of putting every single recipe that shows up on any of their programs on their website. So, if Paula Dean had a recipe for a pork roast or something, and said it goes well with "english peas, which is just some peas with a 1/4 of a stick of butter mixed in" then it would be considered a recipe by default and go up. I doubt she spent more then 20 seconds talking about English Peas on her show.
( Last edited by ort888; Nov 30, 2011 at 04:52 PM. )

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

Tiresias
Dec 1, 2011, 10:22 AM

Ha ha ha.

We've got a long way to go before they slog around the supermarket explaining the most obvious cost of the recession to the president.

Forum Links
Forum Rules