Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Not a wake from sleep issue; G5 Freezes, black screen

Not a wake from sleep issue; G5 Freezes, black screen
ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Sep 12, 2006, 09:16 AM

To be clear, this is not a wake from sleep issue.

- I came into my room this morning, turned computer on and everything worked fine for approximately 5-7 minutes. Then, screen went black. No response from keyboard including eject key for cd tray and no response from mouse.

- I unplugged the monitor cable from back of computer, re-seated cable. Rebooted, worked for about 3 minutes, then black screen and no response from keyboard and mouse.

I read on Apple Discussion to verify video card and in fact I'm using an ATY, RV350. Is this bad or something???

- Rebooted again, checked through system logs and noticed a lot of activity (really have no idea what I'm looking at) for my Hewlett Packard printer and some activity for my TASCAM US-122 audio interface.

- Unplugged the TASCAM USB connector first just as a test/control. Well... screen went blank and system froze after 3 minutes or so. This time, I could not restart the computer. It would seem to restart, but no screen immediately.

- I shut back down. I unplugged the Hewlett Packard USB connector (the one that seemed to generate the most trouble in system logs), started back up and I've been up now for about 15+ minutes. It seems at least for now, the trouble is cleared.

What could this be and what should I do now? Find updates for my Hewlett Packard 'All-in-one' printer??? It worked fine a couple days ago, why a problem all of a sudden? I've run no updates and in fact have changed nothing for months.

***sorry. edited to include; dual 2ghz G5, OS 10.3.9.
( Last edited by ebuddy; Sep 12, 2006 at 09:22 AM. )
ebuddy

Forum Links
Forum Rules