Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Suggestions for 27" direct-view SDTV?

Suggestions for 27" direct-view SDTV?
SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 23, 2006, 06:24 PM

I guess the title speaks for itself. I'm looking for a 27", standard-definition, regular big ol' direct-view tv, and after reading reviews online nothiing is really jumping out at me. Sony seems to be the standby, but it is a tad pricier than other brands. Any suggestions?

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

awaspaas
Mac Elite
Sep 23, 2006, 06:32 PM

Picture quality on a 27" SDTV will not vary much from brand to brand, unless you start to consider one of the flat-CRT types, like a Sony Wega. The flat screens tend to reduce glare and have less distortion than a standard curved tube. You'd be best to see one in person though. Try Best Buy or Circuit City.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 23, 2006, 06:37 PM

becareful of circuit city, I had a tv delivered to my house by them and I open the box after they left and the screen was cracked, so i go over and tell them and they say that since i didnt inspect the tv before the delivery people left that it wasnt their problem.

Scifience
Mac Elite
Sep 23, 2006, 06:49 PM

Why not get an LCD TV? Something like this: SonyStyle.com | 26" BRAVIA™ S-Series Digital LCD HDTV

But if you really want to go with a SD CRT, get a flat-screen Sony WEGA, such as this one: SonyStyle.com | 27" FD Trinitron® WEGA® Digital TV

hookem2oo7
Senior User
Sep 23, 2006, 06:55 PM

Welcome to RCA Television. Digital TV for every Room & Budget.

i have that one, nothing spectacular, but it can do 720p and 1080i, so i guess it does its job...

indigoimac
Senior User
Sep 23, 2006, 07:53 PM

The WEGA is by far the best SD TV I have ever seen, I have one as do many friends of mine and an uncle, it's just a great tv, though the built-in analog tuner did break after a couple years on mine. Downscaled HD over SVideo looks great, even better than DVD over the component. This revelation has forced me to put off an HD set. Color accuracy is fantastic on this line if you calibrate it, though at this point, if you can afford HD I'd go for that.
15" MacBook Pro 2.0GHz i7 4GB RAM 6490M 120GB OWC 6G SSD 500GB HD
15" MacBook Pro 2.4GHz C2D 2GB RAM 8600M GT 200GB HD
17" C2D iMac 2.0GHz 2GB RAM x1600 500GB HD

Weezer
Mac Elite
Sep 23, 2006, 09:54 PM

Outpost.com�|�VIEWSONIC

pretty hot deal, 32 inch HDTV $500, refurb though

Imac Core Duo 1.83/1.5 GB/20 inch cinema, ibook G4 1 ghz

Railroader
Banned
Sep 23, 2006, 10:27 PM

I bought a 27" WEGA in 1998 because I wanted something good to tide me over until HD came out stronger. Now I am so happy with it I am satisfied with it enough that I am going to wait to buy HD for a few more years.

It wasn't cheap at the time, I have no idea what they're like now.

SpaceMonkey  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 24, 2006, 12:02 AM

Originally Posted by Scifience
Why not get an LCD TV? Something like this: SonyStyle.com | 26" BRAVIA™ S-Series Digital LCD HDTV

But if you really want to go with a SD CRT, get a flat-screen Sony WEGA, such as this one: SonyStyle.com | 27" FD Trinitron® WEGA® Digital TV
LCD is out, because I need wide viewing angles -- the room set-up is kind of weird.

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. Just to clarify, I am looking for a flat-CRT type.

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 24, 2006, 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by Weezer
Outpost.com�|�VIEWSONIC

pretty hot deal, 32 inch HDTV $500, refurb though
Is that a good quality TV though for the price?

SpaceMonkey  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 24, 2006, 05:17 PM

Well, I ended up just getting the Sony WEGA today, but the 24", not the 27". $300 from Circuit City. I'm quite satisfied so far, minus the pummeling the Giants are currently taking from the Seahawks.

Basically, I just needed something to tide me over for a while, because I am in very transitional/fluid rental market now in DC, so I'm not feeling ready to spring for HD yet.

Railroader
Banned
Sep 24, 2006, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by SpaceMonkey
Well, I ended up just getting the Sony WEGA today, but the 24", not the 27". $300 from Circuit City. I'm quite satisfied so far, minus the pummeling the Giants are currently taking from the Seahawks.

Basically, I just needed something to tide me over for a while, because I am in very transitional/fluid rental market now in DC, so I'm not feeling ready to spring for HD yet.
Excellent price. My 27" cost over $1k in 1998.

The 24" will look sharper and certainly be easier to move than the 27".

hadocon
Mac Elite
Sep 24, 2006, 07:06 PM

LCD is out, because I need wide viewing angles -- the room set-up is kind of weird.

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. Just to clarify, I am looking for a flat-CRT type.
Check the viewing angles on Sony's Bravia's - I used to be CRT and Plasma all the way, but after checking out the Bravia's I bought one... There is _no_ color distortion or viewing angle issues with these LCDs.
20+ year MacNN forum member. MacBook Air 11" 1.6Ghz 4GB 128GB Backlit Keyboard, 4S, iPad Mini

UNTeMac
Mac Elite
Sep 24, 2006, 07:45 PM

I've heard plasma's are horribly power hungry and run hot...anyone have experience?
"This show is filmed before a live studio audience as soon as someone removes that dead guy!" - Stephen Colbert

scottiB
Professional Poster
Sep 25, 2006, 08:34 AM

I have the 24" WEGA that I purchased in 1998 for $650. Still love it, though I do have a 26" HD LCD in the bedroom.

That said, if I were in a fluid rental market, the last thing I would care to do is move the that TV. I've moved three times since I've bought it, and I wish it were an LCD every time.
I am stupidest when I try to be funny.

SpaceMonkey  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 25, 2006, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by scottiB
I have the 24" WEGA that I purchased in 1998 for $650. Still love it, though I do have a 26" HD LCD in the bedroom.

That said, if I were in a fluid rental market, the last thing I would care to do is move the that TV. I've moved three times since I've bought it, and I wish it were an LCD every time.
Haha. True enough. My thinking was more that I would have to pay a lot more for an equal sized LCD. I was able to bring it home from the store without too much trouble, but it did leave me with some motivation to work out more.

Forum Links
Forum Rules