Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Bug in updating prebinding in Tiger could be responsible for some errors

Bug in updating prebinding in Tiger could be responsible for some errors
Person Man
Professional Poster
Mar 16, 2007, 08:01 PM

An interesting Unsanity Blog post by Rosyna details a nasty bug in the update prebinding routine in Tiger that can potentially zero random files which may break things and causing real issues with updates.

Here is the blog entry.

Regardless of what people may think of Unsanity, it seems that this is an issue that Apple needs to fix and fix PRONTO!

Person Man  (op)
Professional Poster
Mar 17, 2007, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by Person Man View Post
An interesting Unsanity Blog post by Rosyna details a nasty bug in the update prebinding routine in Tiger that can potentially zero random files which may break things and causing real issues with updates.

Here is the blog entry.

Regardless of what people may think of Unsanity, it seems that this is an issue that Apple needs to fix and fix PRONTO!
Wow, I'm suprised there hasn't been any discussion on this. It seems to me that a bug like this that could be responsible for many of the random failures leading people to say "stay away from xxx update because it is teh evilz!" would be a relevant topic for discussion. Guess I was wrong.

barney ntd
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 17, 2007, 06:02 PM

Yeah, good catch. Explains why those of us who never touch our machines during system updates (left-over paranoia from MacOS 9) have never been stung.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Mar 17, 2007, 06:32 PM

Interesting. I'm kind of having trouble seeing why two things would be updating a prebinding at the same time. I wonder how common such a situation is.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Mar 17, 2007, 06:37 PM

On 10.2 and 10.3, prebinding would be automatically updated when an app was launched. That's not true for 10.4 though.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Hal Itosis
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 18, 2007, 02:12 AM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
Interesting. I'm kind of having trouble seeing why two things would be updating a prebinding at the same time. I wonder how common such a situation is.

Might could happen if a user is tooling around in Finder (opening docs or moving apps).

::shrug::

I've also witnessed OSX (from Jaguar on) _sometimes_ fall into a funky state... where it's constantly
and incessantly replacing one of the LaunchServices database cache files EVERY 5 SECONDS. It wasn't
a deadly affair or anything... but sufficient indication [to me] there is susceptibility for entering into a
race condition, or some similar sort of "hiccup" mode.

Originally Posted by barney ntd View Post
left-over paranoia from MacOS 9

(and Sys8 and Sys7 . . . ), I seem to remember updates would force-quit all other apps.
( Last edited by Hal Itosis; Mar 18, 2007 at 02:30 AM. )
-HI-

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Mar 18, 2007, 02:24 AM

Originally Posted by Hal Itosis View Post
Might could happen if a user is tooling around in Finder (opening docs or moving apps).
Even then, perhaps I'm misinformed, but I didn't think OS X would redo the prebinding unless the app or a library on which it depended had changed.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Hal Itosis
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 18, 2007, 02:49 AM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
Even then, perhaps I'm misinformed, but I didn't think OS X would redo the prebinding unless the app or a library on which it depended had changed.

I haven't studied Rosyna's blog... so I don't know if simultaneous prebinding matters.
As long as two procs are writing something into that database at the same time, and if
that situation isn't handled properly, then maybe that's all it takes. [I'm not sure.]

Note for example the warning in <this thread> about quitting Finder. [idunno really.]

I do keep fseventer running 24/7 for educational purposes, and have seen that
/Library/Caches/com.apple.LaunchServices-014501.csstore file being written to
in a variety of situations (installing and/or moving apps typically).
-HI-

Simon
Posting Junkie
Mar 18, 2007, 05:01 AM

Originally Posted by barney ntd View Post
Yeah, good catch. Explains why those of us who never touch our machines during system updates (left-over paranoia from MacOS 9) have never been stung.
I was thinking the exact same thing. I usually run updates on my main work Mac just before I go pick up some coffee. When I come back the update is usually finished. I never experienced any of these my-Mac-died-after-SU issues. I always wondered what those people had installed or what they did while updating that caused these bizarre problems.

Person Man  (op)
Professional Poster
Mar 18, 2007, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
I was thinking the exact same thing. I usually run updates on my main work Mac just before I go pick up some coffee. When I come back the update is usually finished. I never experienced any of these my-Mac-died-after-SU issues. I always wondered what those people had installed or what they did while updating that caused these bizarre problems.
To be fair, the bug probably doesn't explain ALL of the mysterious, random problems, but at least Rosyna gives a way the bug can be avoided in her blog... don't touch the machine while updating.

For now, that seems like a solid piece of advice that's much better than "update the permissions both before and after the update."

Forum Links
Forum Rules