Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Stupid Question RE; multiple displays...

Stupid Question RE; multiple displays...
ebuddy
Posting Junkie
May 26, 2007, 02:53 PM

I'm using a dual, 2Ghz PowerMac G5 with 20" Apple Cinema Display. I've found a very inexpensive Samsung 19" SyncMaster 753DF CRT monitor. I'm wanting to mirror displays, but it is understandably defaulting to the SyncMaster's lower res on both leaving large chunks of real-estate unused on my Cinema Display. I've tried different Res settings on the SyncMaster to no avail.

When "mirror displays" is selected in Display preferences, will it always default to the lower res monitor? If not, how do I get around this? I've not used dual monitors before so please treat me like a complete newbie. It'd be nice for two of us to view EQ settings on audio tracks in DP without looking over one another's shoulders and fighting over the driver's seat, etc...
ebuddy

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
May 26, 2007, 03:03 PM

When mirroring displays, both monitors must use the same resolution.

That Samsung monitor you have is actually a 17" monitor, hence the 7 in the model number. The native resolution for your 20" Cinema Display is 1680x1050, anything lower will look horrible. The TOP resolution for the Samsung (which will probably be pretty fuzzy) is 1280x1024. It shouldn't go any higher, but if it did it would probably go bang!

So, either you ditch your cinema display or you get a 2nd screen which can match the resolution of your Cinema display.

mduell
Posting Junkie
May 26, 2007, 03:08 PM

What do you want?
To have the CRT only display part of what the ACD displays? switchresx may let you force the resolution, but funny things may happen with the CRT.
Or to have the monitors at different resolutions yet somehow be mirroring? Not really possible.

Honestly, I'd grab another 20" LCD for $200.

ebuddy  (op)
Posting Junkie
May 26, 2007, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
What do you want?
To have the CRT only display part of what the ACD displays? switchresx may let you force the resolution, but funny things may happen with the CRT.
Or to have the monitors at different resolutions yet somehow be mirroring? Not really possible.

Honestly, I'd grab another 20" LCD for $200.
I appreciate your help guys.

First, I don't know why I said 19".

Second, I appreciate the advice on switchresX and I gave it a whirl, but still couldn't get them to mirror properly so I uninstalled all.

I have a small and somewhat crowded recording studio. At times, two of us are both staring at the same EQ window or clock counter for punch-ins and outs. To suggest changes to an audio track or to see the counter, I have to wedge my face against his to see what's going on. I placed the small monitor a few feet away in trying to resolve the issue. I can still place the counter on the other screen in "extended desktop" mode, but we can't both be looking at the same EQ window on two different monitors without mirroring them.

Oh well, 1/2 the problem solved at 1/10 the cost for now.
ebuddy

Forum Links
Forum Rules