Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > US mass production vs Chinese mass production, who makes the cheapest beer?

US mass production vs Chinese mass production, who makes the cheapest beer?
moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Sep 26, 2009, 02:29 AM

I found it refreshing that the cheapest beer in my local Hong Kong supermarket is Milwaukee's Best, this is 20% cheaper than the cheapest of the Chinese beers.

FYI 32 HK$ for 12 cans thats approx. 0.34 USD per can

Go USA!

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 26, 2009, 03:19 AM

Funny you should mention.

I can often get German beer cheaper in the US than good American beer.
Of course, this excludes horse piss like Bud, Miller or Coors, which really is not beer.

Go Germany.

-t

downinflames68
Baninated
Sep 26, 2009, 04:58 AM

As a Milwaukee Native, I find this post humorous.

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 26, 2009, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by downinflames68 View Post
I would hope you would. "Milwaukee's Best" brand is a beer that may be useful for certain cooking applications-but probably not. It is the cheapest (not just least expensive) beer I've ever encountered. It was THE beverage at a cook out I went to once, and I picked up a can thinking "how horrible could it be?" One sip told me... I carried around an almost completely full can the rest of the afternoon. YUCK!

I'm probably a bit spoiled by being introduced to a variety of beers that are better made and better tasting, including my favorites, the darker beers like porters. But there's a pretty much authentic old-world brewery about 2 hours from my house in Shiner, Texas, that makes a nice, broad line of different beers that aren't wimpy or crappy-nor overly expensive-so I just choose local and I'm happy! My introduction to bock beer was in about 1981, when someone brought a gallon jug of Shiner Bock to a party...they don't sell it that way anymore (), but it's just as good in bottles!

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

OreoCookie
Sep 26, 2009, 10:31 AM

I doubt even Milwaukee's best qualifies as beer.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Sep 26, 2009, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Of course, this excludes horse piss like Bud, Miller or Coors, which really is not beer.
Seconded

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 26, 2009, 12:09 PM

Funny you should mention.

I can often get German beer cheaper in the US than good American beer.

Go Germany.

-t
Bud is good for cooking, as is Miller. Coors, on the other hand, is slightly carbonated water that has been in the same room with beer. Coors Light is slightly carbonated water that's been canned and then driven past a real brewery. Probably a microbrewery, too.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 26, 2009, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
I doubt even Milwaukee's best qualifies as beer.
I'd have to agree. However, we don't know the standards of beer from China. Milwaukee's best indeed might be superior to those.

-t

downinflames68
Baninated
Sep 26, 2009, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
I would hope you would. "Milwaukee's Best" brand is a beer that may be useful for certain cooking applications-but probably not. It is the cheapest (not just least expensive) beer I've ever encountered. It was THE beverage at a cook out I went to once, and I picked up a can thinking "how horrible could it be?" One sip told me... I carried around an almost completely full can the rest of the afternoon. YUCK!
It's not that bad, there is MUCH worse out there, and MUCH cheaper. Hamm's. Steel Reserve. Jaguar. Oh, and all of these have much more body than Coors.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 26, 2009, 04:10 PM

I'd have to agree. However, we don't know the standards of beer from China. Milwaukee's best indeed might be superior to those.

-t
Tsingtao is pretty decent. (Though not as good as it used to be - up until 1993, it was brewed by the German Reinheitsgebot of 1516, as it was founded by Germans in the early 1900's.)

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 26, 2009, 04:14 PM

On a different note: it's funny how even the cheapest German beer in the US (Wernersgrüner at Aldi) will beat any of the cheap US beers both in price and in taste. I think the 6 pack is like $4.50 or so.

-t

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Sep 26, 2009, 04:46 PM

On a different note: it's funny how even the cheapest German beer in the US (Wernersgrüner at Aldi) will beat any of the cheap US beers both in price and in taste. I think the 6 pack is like $4.50 or so.

-t
Price is probably the result of a successful campaign creating the impression that the likes of Bud are for manly men and anything European are for girly men.

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 26, 2009, 05:02 PM

It's not that bad, there is MUCH worse out there, and MUCH cheaper. Hamm's. Steel Reserve. Jaguar. Oh, and all of these have much more body than Coors.
I'd forgotten about Hamm's. You're right that it is horrible.

OreoCookie
Sep 26, 2009, 05:20 PM

That's the lamest excuse I've heard

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 26, 2009, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
Tsingtao is pretty decent. (Though not as good as it used to be - up until 1993, it was brewed by the German Reinheitsgebot of 1516, as it was founded by Germans in the early 1900's.)
From what beer-drinking* friends have told me over the years, Tsingtao is the best Chinese beer widely available in China. It’s not a beer-beer, though, if that makes sense. It accompanies a meal very well, and is good on a hot summer day; but go out and drink yourself into a drunken stupor on Tsingtao alone, and you’ll be frightfully sorry you ever came near it.

Yanjing, I’m told, is also decent. And there are many other smaller breweries that make decent beer, but those are usually only available in the city/area where they make them (as with all smaller breweries)—and they’re obviously more expensive, too. Tsingtao and Yanjing are the two major players on the Chinese market (of Chinese origin—Kirin and Carlsberg are major players, too).

(* Meaning ‘friends of mine who do drink beer’, as opposed to me, since I don’t—wasn’t implying that my friends are drunks)
( Last edited by Oisín; Sep 27, 2009 at 01:06 PM. )

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 26, 2009, 05:41 PM

Which cheap american piss advertises "triple hops"? I'm guessing they mean literally, they use exactly 3 hops. The commercial makes me giggle.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Sep 26, 2009, 06:19 PM

Bud is good for cooking, as is Miller. Coors, on the other hand, is slightly carbonated water that has been in the same room with beer. Coors Light is slightly carbonated water that's been canned and then driven past a real brewery. Probably a microbrewery, too.
The first beer I ever had was Coors, and I thought I hated beer for a long time after. The only carbonated water that could possibly taste like has already passed through a human urinary system.
( Last edited by Chuckit; Sep 26, 2009 at 06:20 PM. Reason: I accidentally wrote "waste" instead of "taste" — Freudian slip, I'm sure)
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

downinflames68
Baninated
Sep 27, 2009, 01:05 PM

I hate coors. HATE it.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 27, 2009, 04:51 PM

I hate coors. HATE it.
I never had one. Bad enough I tainted my taste buds (no pun intended) with Bud.

-t

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 27, 2009, 09:55 PM

I never had one. Bad enough I tainted my taste buds (no pun intended) with Bud.

-t
Regular Bud is "good beer" compared to Coors. Stay away from "the silver bullet."

Went to a "beer tasting" a couple years ago. It's in quotes because it really was a "beer drinking" (we didn't waste any of the beer) at a festival whose sponsors included Budwiser. So we had Bud Light at the tasting. It rinses glasses really well. Seriously, that's all we did with the stuff-rinse out glasses for reuse with a different beer. You'd be amazed at how different two different stouts, or two different porters can taste. And for the record, I like porter because it's rich and flavorful; the name is just an added benefit.

Arty50
Mac Elite
Sep 28, 2009, 08:57 PM

I'd forgotten about Hamm's. You're right that it is horrible.
Both of you are dead to me. Hamm's is gold in a can.

Part of being a beer lover is having a dirty, cheap beer that you love. Otherwise, you're just a snob.
( Last edited by Arty50; Sep 28, 2009 at 09:05 PM. )
"My friend, there are two kinds of people in this world:
those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig."

-Clint in "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly"

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Sep 28, 2009, 09:23 PM

I'm probably a bit spoiled by being introduced to a variety of beers that are better made and better tasting, including my favorites, the darker beers like porters. But there's a pretty much authentic old-world brewery about 2 hours from my house in Shiner, Texas, that makes a nice, broad line of different beers that aren't wimpy or crappy-nor overly expensive-so I just choose local and I'm happy! My introduction to bock beer was in about 1981, when someone brought a gallon jug of Shiner Bock to a party...they don't sell it that way anymore (), but it's just as good in bottles!
Shiner Bock is great. Have you asked them about the ram?

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 29, 2009, 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by Arty50 View Post

Part of being a beer lover is having a dirty, cheap beer that you love. Otherwise, you're just a snob.
I respectfully disagree. I'm no snob. I just prefer darker, more flavorful beers. And I peraonally dislike Hamm's about as much as I dislike Coors.

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
Shiner Bock is great. Have you asked them about the ram?
Next time I visit the brewery I will ask. Did I mention that they have a visitor center that offers tasting? Yep. Yum!

Arty50
Mac Elite
Sep 29, 2009, 02:15 PM

I respectfully disagree. I'm no snob. I just prefer darker, more flavorful beers. And I peraonally dislike Hamm's about as much as I dislike Coors.
I need to work on my sarcastic writing.

Seriously though, when you're out wakesurfing on a high alpine lake in the middle of summer Hamm's tastes pretty damn good. Admittedly, it's no La Fin du Monde, but it has its place.
"My friend, there are two kinds of people in this world:
those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig."

-Clint in "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly"

OreoCookie
Sep 29, 2009, 02:29 PM

Gold perhaps. Cue obvious analogy here
You're not a snob because you insist on drinkable beer. Good beer doesn't have to be expensive, but there is no excuse calling pee water drinkable

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Sep 29, 2009, 09:38 PM

You didn't end your sentence with "doncha know."
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 29, 2009, 10:47 PM

I need to work on my sarcastic writing.

Seriously though, when you're out wakesurfing on a high alpine lake in the middle of summer Hamm's tastes pretty damn good. Admittedly, it's no La Fin du Monde, but it has its place.
Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
Gold perhaps. Cue obvious analogy here
You're not a snob because you insist on drinkable beer. Good beer doesn't have to be expensive, but there is no excuse calling pee water drinkable
I've been known to imbibe a friend's Miller Lite when I've been helping with yard work (replaced a fence with a friend a while back-hot and heavy work), but Hamm's is just not to my liking. It just doesn't have enough hop flavor, and it's generally too flat for me-mainly because I'm not into lagers. But Fin du Monde isn't my personal "this is what beer should be." Chimay is. Chimay Blue, to be specific. A female friend, on drinking it for the first time said, "it should be called 'she will,' not 'she may.'" "Nuff said?

Forum Links
Forum Rules