Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > What's Your Current Ride(Automobile)?

What's Your Current Ride(Automobile)? (Page 4)
itomato
Mac Elite
Jun 19, 2003, 04:54 PM

I own the best car ever (well, that out of the ones I've had, anyway)

1984 VW Jetta DIESEL

There's no other vehicle that compares in terms of VPM (vibrations per mile). Every element of the dash vibrates. The gauges, the ventilation controls, every screw holding it all together..

Gets incredible milage, though.

It's a $300 beater, but the next one will be nicer. This is a 15 year vehicle, no doubt, and one I'd be happy to own again.

Same with the 1974 Volvo 144 (previous favorite title-holder)
(not mine, but it was the same color and had the same stripes)
-- | T () /\/\ /.\ T () --

Zimphire
Baninated
Jun 19, 2003, 05:00 PM

Originally posted by itomato:
There's no other vehicle that compares in terms of VPM (vibrations per mile). Every element of the dash vibrates. The gauges, the ventilation controls, every screw holding it all together..
HAH! I had a 82 Rabbit Diesel. I bet that had higher VPM.

4 speeds, you had to turn off the A/C just to get uphill.

cjrivera
Professional Poster
Jun 19, 2003, 05:06 PM

Originally posted by NoMoreBanning68:
If you have no mechanical inclination, why buy a performance car?

- Rob
I didn't know that it was a requirement. I thought the love of driving a fast, well-balanced, good handling car would be a requirement for buying a performance car.

Mechanical inclination would be more of a requirement for someone buying a "fixer-up" car or a "hobby" car.

Do Mac users have to be able to swap HD's, change RAM, replace video cards in order for them to buy dual 1.42gig Powermac G4 towers?

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 19, 2003, 05:28 PM

Originally posted by cjrivera:
I didn't know that it was a requirement. I thought the love of driving a fast, well-balanced, good handling car would be a requirement for buying a performance car.

Mechanical inclination would be more of a requirement for someone buying a "fixer-up" car or a "hobby" car.

Do Mac users have to be able to swap HD's, change RAM, replace video cards in order for them to buy dual 1.42gig Powermac G4 towers?
I agree wholeheartedly. Your Power Mac metaphor is very appropriate.

Zimphire
Baninated
Jun 19, 2003, 05:43 PM

Not all fast cars are tuners. But if you drive your car like that all the time, you better get used to paying out the cash for people to work on and keep it tuned up. If you have the money (Which a lot do that have performance cars) then there is no problem.

I really don't see my R/T as a performance car, more like a sporty economy cart.

NoMoreBanning68
Baninated
Jun 19, 2003, 06:10 PM

Originally posted by cjrivera:

Good point, but I guess I feel that if you buy a car with soul, you should 'bond' with it. It's one thing to drive it, but it's also another to change its oil, replace parts, improve it, love it, bond with it. Kinda like having a dog. Anyone can 'play' with a dog, but dogs are more than just playing, you have a lot of responsibility. It pisses me off when I see such a beautiful car such as a porsche 911 driven by some old woman who probably doesn't even know what an air filter is.

- Ca$h

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 19, 2003, 06:23 PM

Originally posted by NoMoreBanning68:
Good point, but I guess I feel that if you buy a car with soul, you should 'bond' with it. It's one thing to drive it, but it's also another to change its oil, replace parts, improve it, love it, bond with it. Kinda like having a dog. Anyone can 'play' with a dog, but dogs are more than just playing, you have a lot of responsibility. It pisses me off when I see such a beautiful car such as a porsche 911 driven by some old woman who probably doesn't even know what an air filter is.

- Ca$h
I can see why that would irk you because I myself am somewhat annoyed by people who purchase turbocharged Porsche 911's with automatic transmissions. At the most basic level, it seems wasteful. However, many of these people have worked very hard to earn enough money to purchase such an automobile. Others are born into affluence, but you can't expect rich parents to deprive their children of the wealth they either earned or inherited themselves, can you?

daimoni
Occasionally Quoted
Jun 19, 2003, 06:47 PM

( Last edited by daimoni; Aug 11, 2004 at 12:50 PM. )

NoMoreBanning68
Baninated
Jun 19, 2003, 07:38 PM

Originally posted by seanyepez:
I can see why that would irk you because I myself am somewhat annoyed by people who purchase turbocharged Porsche 911's with automatic transmissions. At the most basic level, it seems wasteful. However, many of these people have worked very hard to earn enough money to purchase such an automobile. Others are born into affluence, but you can't expect rich parents to deprive their children of the wealth they either earned or inherited themselves, can you?
Earn enough money for WHAT exactly?? So they have a really expensive porsche...with an automatic. WTF for?! Just 'cuz'? And about the 'being born into affluence', yeah or you could just say spoiled, or better yet, 'born into ignorance'.

What pisses me off is that you drive an M3. An M3 is an amazing automobile, yet you, a complete ignorant fool when it comes to automobiles, drive it. You couldn't tell a oil pump from a camshaft, nor do you have any idea how either works (if you even know they exist). THAT pisses me off. You have this great car, didn't earn it, don't know ANYTHING about it, and you probably PAY to get the oil changed in it. It's f*cking pathetic.

If my parents had offered me an M3 at 16 yrs old I would have looked at them funny and asked if they wanted me dead. And if you 'don't ever speed and you are such a legal driver' then wtf was the point of getting an M3?! Your parents should have purchased you something safe, not overly powerful, and something you could actually work on to learn about automobiles, instead of taking mommy and daddy's credit card to the dealership.

So yeah, the fact that you're completely ignorant, haven't worked for it, and cannot even begin to appreciate the m3 for what it is makes me want to deem you unworthy of such transportation.

- Ca$h

Mac Elite
Jun 19, 2003, 07:47 PM

Originally posted by the_glassman:

How the heck did you take that picture?? The car is moving!!

jamesa
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 22, 2003, 12:41 AM

have you ever driven a 911 auto? The porkies have very nice auto boxes on them indeed, thanks very much...

And don't pick on me about being unable to drive a manual; the S3 is manual only - I'm perfectly happy with either.

-- james

jamesa
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 22, 2003, 12:44 AM

Originally posted by 11011001:
if you're talking about how to get the jet of flame...

step 1. Get the car moving, preferably somewhere straight no corners or places where you'll have to brake in a hurry (you're about to lose power assisted steering and braking)

step 2. once the car is moving quite quickly, switch it off.

step 3. prod the loud pedal a few times, but not too much or you'll flood the engine

step 4. start the car and you'll have ignition

other than that, you can run the fuel:air mixture too rich but I wouldn't recommend doing that for extended periods of time.

oh, and also, if you blow up some part of your car while following the steps above, don't come back and blame me. You have been warned!

or if you're talking about how to get the picture, you can get attachments that fit on cars that will take pictures, or you can get a friend to lean out the back

-- james

todrain
Senior User
Jun 22, 2003, 01:08 AM

2003 Honda Accord EX Manual

NoMoreBanning68
Baninated
Jun 22, 2003, 01:27 AM

I would have bought a 330Ci or a 330i, but I enjoy going fast on the track. While I do consider myself fairly mechanically inclined, no real mechanical inclination is necessary for casual track use. A basic understanding of physics to understand why cars act the way they do under certain forces is useful, though.
You are so dumb!

The track? What TRACK do you turn on ??? Bhahahaha. And no mechanical inclination is necessary for track use!? Bhahahah yeah fi you want to lose. You're an idiot.

I'll enjoy passing you a few years on the track, ignorant brat.

- Ca$h

the_glassman
Mac Elite
Jun 22, 2003, 08:46 PM

Originally posted by 11011001:
I must say that I love my girlfriend.
She took that picture with a digital camcorder while the car was moving and I was driving.
I just took a still of the movie and made it a jpeg file, I have the video around somewhere of her in my open hatch with my car spitting out flames.
It was her idea BTW.
I've got some video of me shooting flames taken from another car at night. (looks pretty cool) But we wanted to get some different shots and perspectives.

Since the car is rotary powered its fairly easy to shoot flames, due to the nature of the combustion cycle.

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 23, 2003, 02:33 AM

Originally posted by Face Ache:
Here's mine.

The only identifying features are the kid seats and the dirt.
So, as of last night, my car has a new identifying feature.

Look, I don't ask for much in life. I don't have a flash car or a lot of money, but as long as God lays off me and my family with the plague and pestilence thing, I'm happy with my lowly station in life. Honest I am.

But why does God keep ****ing with me, eh?

The previous owner of my new home had erected a clothesline in the carport, made of two 4x4" beams of hardwood running across from the wall to the pillar and a line slung between. Not terribly attractive and ripping it down is number 17 on my list-of-things-to-do-in-the-new-house.

You know what's coming, don't you?

So yesterday I hear a bang and one of the beams has dropped (for no good reason other than an act of that BASTARD God) onto the roof of my car just behind the windscreen. A 1" deep crease running across the roof of my previously undented car. Not a dent or impression - a frikkin' crease. Had to land on it's corner, didn't it?

So if you're in Perth and you see a wagon with a big-ass crease across the roof and you wonder "how the hell did he do that?" well then wave and say hi.

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 23, 2003, 03:17 AM

glassman-

heh, hell yea...

on a related note, I was on I-95 one night, and got into it with an RX-7.. a red one like yours.

we went up to about 140, and I was on/his/bumper the whole way.. it was fun..

anyhow, each upshift from like 70mph on up, huge flames came out, literally coming up over my windshield... subsequent downshifts produced the same results.. it was funny.

my stang will popl lil flames occasionally, depending on the tune. they're cute lil flames, not nice big turbo flames
ice

davidflas  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 28, 2003, 07:43 PM

Here's my new ride

2003 Mazda Protege5
130hp 2.0 Liter 4 cylinder
16" Polished alloys 195/50VR16 Tires
5 speed manual transmission
2.7Ghz 15" Mid 2012 MBP 16GB RAM 7.2k 750GB HD anti-glare display|64GB iPad4 ATT LTE|

permanent68
Banned
Aug 28, 2003, 07:48 PM

Those are nice looking cars, and I hear they handle pretty well (same suspension as Mazda Mp3), but man... only 130hp?! My neon had 132hp, and it weighed 2400lbs. That'd be fine, because it wasn't meant to be a racecar, but after reading Mazdas brochure... I was just totally turned off. They had things like:

The new Mazda5 has a rally designed rear spoiler and classy taillights; which is important, because thats all the other cars on the road will ever see.

The new Mazda5 has 130 ground shaking horsepower with bla ft lbs of earth moving torque, so getting up to speed will be no problem for this badboy.

Crap like that. I couldn't believe it. It actually made me laugh so hard that I kept the brochure up on my wall for a while.

- Ca$h

davidflas  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 28, 2003, 07:55 PM

I bought the protege5 because I needed a hatchback with seats that fold flat. I also wanted a car the handled well and must importantly was in my price range.. Yeah, its no drag racer, but with some modifications...
2.7Ghz 15" Mid 2012 MBP 16GB RAM 7.2k 750GB HD anti-glare display|64GB iPad4 ATT LTE|

permanent68
Banned
Aug 28, 2003, 08:22 PM

Originally posted by davidflas:
I bought the protege5 because I needed a hatchback with seats that fold flat. I also wanted a car the handled well and must importantly was in my price range.. Yeah, its no drag racer, but with some modifications...
I agree. You forgot one thing though: It looks damn good.

- Rob

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Aug 28, 2003, 08:33 PM

I got two rides...the first ride I've had since I was 15 and it's still rollin' along! 1993 Ford Explorer Limited w/ a full-blown audio/multimedia system & 18" Arelli Assassyn rims on 255/55/R18 Toyo Proxes. 4 12" AudioMobile (specialty subwoofers handmade in California) subs, 1100+ watts of Rockford Fosgate power, Alpine IVA-C801 in-dash 6.5" flip-out LCD/CD player, Nintendo Gamecube, DVD player, etc...

(pictured with my still-for-sale 1992 Ford Mustang Limited Edition 5.0 Convertible, 5-speed, Flowmasters, etc.)

More pics of it are HERE.

My newest ride is a 2002 Mercury Cougar 35th Anniversary Edition Black w/ black/silver leather interior...fully loaded w/ a 5-speed. This car was #219 of the last 3,500 Cougars ever produced. Aug. 21st was it's 1-year birthday of me owning it, and to this day the odometer sits at 2,459 miles...it's a weekend toy I added a WeaponR Intake & Dual Exhaust (quad tips) for a very nice performance boost.

More pics of this ride can be seen HERE.
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

permanent68
Banned
Aug 28, 2003, 08:42 PM

AHHH NOOOO!!! I Saw your screen name and it reminded me of the ugliest, trashiest, most GHETTO rims in the entire ****ing universe that make me wish I had access to rocket launchers everytime I see them, AND YOU HAVE THEM! I F*CKING HATE YOUR WHEELS!!!! ARGH!!!!

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Aug 28, 2003, 08:43 PM

Originally posted by permanent68:
AHHH NOOOO!!! I Saw your screen name and it reminded me of the ugliest, trashiest, most GHETTO rims in the entire ****ing universe that make me wish I had access to rocket launchers everytime I see them, AND YOU HAVE THEM! I F*CKING HATE YOUR WHEELS!!!! ARGH!!!!
Wow, thanks for your most kind comment Guess that's why they're on my ride and not yours...
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

permanent68
Banned
Aug 28, 2003, 08:53 PM

I HATE THEM! They look like a big freaking chrome melted piece of plastic! ACK! I prefer my wheels somewhat 'motorsport inspired', but those ugly bastards have an almost NEGATIVE motorsport influence to them. In fact, if someone came up to me and offered me $10,000 to put them on my car for a year, I would turn it down. I HATE THEM!

- Ca$h

davidflas  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 28, 2003, 09:04 PM

I HATE THEM! They look like a big freaking chrome melted piece of plastic! ACK! I prefer my wheels somewhat 'motorsport inspired', but those ugly bastards have an almost NEGATIVE motorsport influence to them. In fact, if someone came up to me and offered me $10,000 to put them on my car for a year, I would turn it down. I HATE THEM!

- Ca$h
So, tell us how you really feel!

permanent68
Banned
Aug 28, 2003, 09:17 PM

I HATE THEM!

If I had a ton of money I'd purchase every single set in the world, melt them into a big cube, take a crap on it, and dump it into the ocean over the mariana trench.

THEY SUCK!

- Rob

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Aug 28, 2003, 09:28 PM

I HATE THEM!

If I had a ton of money I'd purchase every single set in the world, melt them into a big cube, take a crap on it, and dump it into the ocean over the mariana trench.

THEY SUCK!

- Rob
Anger management?
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

wolfen
Mac Elite
Aug 28, 2003, 09:33 PM

Miata 10th Anniversary Edition

Pluses: only 30k mi, it's paid for, never had a problem with it. The best investment you can make in a light sportscar (other than the turbo) is wheels. Bridgestone SO3's are nice n sticky. Corners like a dream.

wolfen
Do you want forgiveness or respect?

permanent68
Banned
Aug 28, 2003, 09:43 PM

Nice car. I dig miatas. No roof and mad cornering skillz= good car. Too bad that second pic isn't yours.

- Rob
( Last edited by permanent68; Aug 28, 2003 at 09:49 PM. )

permanent68
Banned
Aug 28, 2003, 09:45 PM

Originally posted by AssassyN:
Anger management?
]

No, TASTE management. I hate those wheels, because they have ZERO CLASS! They're like the most GHETTO GHETTO GHETTO design ever. The epitomize shitty ugly heavy chrome wheels on bling bling gangsta crap. I despise those wheels.

I even have other threads about how much I hate those wheels.

- Ca$h

vsurfer
Senior User
Aug 28, 2003, 10:10 PM

The good thing about branches falling on your ride in the middle of the night is that you know there's a fair chance of wind in the morning.

There was a tiny little dent at the point of impact -- right above the windscreen on the driver side. The tree limb weighed about 70 lb.

http://www.h2omen.com/htmlfiles/daot....html#ramtough

Dedicated windsurf & surfing vehicle for 5
125,000+ mi

Nice match for my Ghz Ti Book -- just as many dents! Glad the TI Book doesn't rust 'quite' as much.

frido:mac
Aug 29, 2003, 06:34 AM

Here is what I drive:

2003 Audi A2 1.4TDI (all-aluminum body, like the A8)

It is only a 3-cylinder, 75hp diesel, but that�s enough for me, I get around 75-80 mpg....

Bye, Frido.

wolfen
Mac Elite
Aug 29, 2003, 07:14 AM

Too bad that second pic isn't yours.

- Rob
Why? They all look exactly like that.

The first pic ain't mine, either, btw. But again...they all look the same.

wolfen

simonjames
Mac Elite
Aug 29, 2003, 07:17 AM

I like the shape of the A2 but it is too small for someone like me who is 6'4". Audi have decided not to import the A2 to Australia - even after bringing a couple over as show ponies. Mercedes have been way successful with the A class (of which I have one) and now are bringing in the Smart Car and Smart Roadster.

As to the Miata/MX-5 - in Australia this car has the reputation as being a hair dresser's car. Is it the same in the States?

wolfen
Mac Elite
Aug 29, 2003, 07:36 AM

Originally posted by simonjames:
As to the Miata/MX-5 - in Australia this car has the reputation as being a hair dresser's car. Is it the same in the States?
No...every once in a while someone mentions that, as sportscars go, it isn't quite as manly as it could be. But I just throw down my totebag and scratch their eyes out.

Freakin' Aussies.

wolfen
(avoiding getting worked into a tizzy)

frido:mac
Aug 29, 2003, 07:51 AM

I like the shape of the A2 but it is too small for someone like me who is 6'4". Audi have decided not to import the A2 to Australia - even after bringing a couple over as show ponies. Mercedes have been way successful with the A class (of which I have one) and now are bringing in the Smart Car and Smart Roadster.
I found that the A2 has more headroom than our old A6 wagon... but they will discontinue it in 2005 anyways (after losing approx. 900 Million Euro�s with it).
Shame, because it is a great car, I think classier than the A-Class, but with really bad marketing...

Interiour shot:

Bye, Frido.

permanent68
Banned
Aug 29, 2003, 03:14 PM

Weird Audi. I dig it. As for the miata being a hair dressers car, yeah, it kinda has that rep, but with such a lightweight stiff chassis, RWD, and durable little engine, it can be tweaked into a pretty formidable machine for not a lot of green. Kinda like a neon.

- Rob

fxbezak
Senior User
Location: mysql> CREATE TABLE bar (m INT) SELECT beer FROM tap;
Aug 29, 2003, 03:20 PM

Jeep Liberty '03
The Desires of Youth are the Regrets of Maturity.
http://www.unixtree.net

permanent68
Banned
Aug 29, 2003, 03:28 PM

Originally posted by fxbezak:
Jeep Liberty '03
Have you gone to any of those jeep meets? That looks like a lot of fun. Learn to offroad, and learn just how capable your vehicle actually is. I'd make a point to do it at least once!

- Rob

fhoubi
Senior User
Aug 29, 2003, 03:30 PM

Frido:mac, is that your moustache in your picture on the right?

The A2 is a very nice car, but the two things I would hate is the small fuel-tank (improved now btw) and that all engines have belt-driven camshafts, that sux. For f.e. the (old A3) 1.9 tdi engine they have to be changed every 60.000 km's, they couldn't survive the original mileage...

Otherwise it's classic.
I'm-a trying to wonder, wonder, wonder why you, wonder, wonder why you act so.

G4ME
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 29, 2003, 03:35 PM

87 Volvo 740 GLE, it is about to roll 307,000 miles. She still has some life left, but i think this winter will be her last, she is starting harder and harder after about a week of sitting. Not to mention she is bubbling crude in a few places, and its only a matter of time before its in a critical place.

I GOT WASTED WITH PHIL SHERRY!!!

permanent68
Banned
Aug 29, 2003, 04:09 PM

Originally posted by G4ME:
87 Volvo 740 GLE,
You can just stuff a chevy small block in it when the original engine dies. I've seen a few volvos with 350s in them. It'd be fun to scare some mustangs with something that mundane looking.

- Rob

DesignerTerp
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 29, 2003, 04:19 PM

I just traded in my 94 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo (Bob) about a month ago for a...

5-speed, so glad to be driving stick again!
His name is Shifty McSilver
( Last edited by DesignerTerp; Aug 29, 2003 at 04:29 PM. )

permanent68
Banned
Aug 29, 2003, 04:46 PM

Originally posted by DesignerTerp:
Welcome to Lemmingville. Please enjoy your stay, but not too much, just an average amount.
Also, please ZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzZZzzzzzzzzzzzZZZZZZzzzzzz
- Ca$h

thunderous_funker
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 29, 2003, 04:49 PM

Originally posted by frido:mac:
Here is what I drive:

2003 Audi A2 1.4TDI (all-aluminum body, like the A8)

It is only a 3-cylinder, 75hp diesel, but that�s enough for me, I get around 75-80 mpg....

Bye, Frido.

Wow! I hadn't seen one of those (not available here). I'm terribly jealous. What a terrific little car!
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die." -- Hunter S. Thompson

DesignerTerp
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 29, 2003, 04:52 PM

Welcome to Lemmingville. Please enjoy your stay, but not too much, just an average amount.
Also, please ZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzZZzzzzzzzzzzzZZZZZZzzzzzz
- Ca$h
?

permanent68
Banned
Aug 29, 2003, 04:55 PM

Originally posted by DesignerTerp:
?
You drive one of the most boring monotonous cars on the planet. Must be somewhat frustrating to park at a mall or something, come back outside, and realize there are approximately 500+ hondas in the parking lot.... civics... in silver.....

"Is this one mine? >wiggles key< Crap. Maybe this one is!"

- Ca$h

mrfrost
Mac Elite
Aug 29, 2003, 05:02 PM

Opel Zafira Elegance.

DesignerTerp
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 29, 2003, 05:12 PM

You drive one of the most boring monotonous cars on the planet. Must be somewhat frustrating to park at a mall or something, come back outside, and realize there are approximately 500+ hondas in the parking lot.... civics... in silver.....

"Is this one mine? >wiggles key< Crap. Maybe this one is!"

- Ca$h
Yeah I do that a lot ::shrug::
I like it. I got it for next to nothing. I'm not really interested in all that macho bull crap.

Forum Links
Forum Rules