Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Buying Tips!

Buying Tips!
tavilach
Mac Elite
May 9, 2004, 08:29 PM

Help!

I don't know what to buy...

I'll be going to college next year, and I definetely want to bring a laptop. I've had my heart set on getting a PowerBook for months (I currently have a PC), and I can't even imagine not getting one.

The problem I have, similar to many people, is this: it would be a horrible investment, given that the G5's are bound to come out a few months later (I'd buy the PowerBook in August).

What should I do? Should I buy a $400 Pismo off eBay, and wait for the G5's? Should I just get a cheap PC laptop, and wait for the G5's? Should I just get a G4, making the worst investment of my life? Should I get an iBook, and wait for the G5? Should I get nothing, just bring my desktop PC, and wait for the G5's?

Is there any way I could lease a G4 until the G5's come out? I'm sure there isn't, but it can't hurt to ask...

Bah! Advice needed!
"Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world." -Archimedes

NightEyes
Forum Regular
May 9, 2004, 08:50 PM

Apple officially reiterated last month that the G5 PowerBook is still a ways off. Seems the things keep melting through tables or something like that. Anyhows, the latest crop of PowerBooks are pretty sweet. You should pick up one of those. It'll serve you well in school.

solero
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 9, 2004, 08:58 PM

It's diffucult to say. But remember that the WWDC (WorldWide Developers Conference) will be held on June 28 - July 2. Your dilemma might be put to rest at that event (Apple is known to introduce new hardware at the WWDC).

What are you going to do with your laptop. A lot of people really don't need the power of a G5 (me neither, but I'm going to get one the instant the powerbook G5 hits the market anyway)

heresiarh
Dedicated MacNNer
May 9, 2004, 09:01 PM

Just go for the pbook g4s. They are good machines. When the G5 pbooks come out they will probably be quite expensive.

solero
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 9, 2004, 09:04 PM

Isn't the G5 chip cheaper to produce than the G4 (Just think I've read it somewhere - but I might very well be mistaken)

tavilach  (op)
Mac Elite
May 9, 2004, 09:13 PM

NightEyes, "a ways off" couldn't possibly be later than January of 2005...

solero, there is no way a PowerBook G5 is going to be releasede this WWDC. It's not possible. As for your question, I'm planning on using it for programming, web design, hobbyist video editing, basic web tasks, etc.
"Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world." -Archimedes

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
May 9, 2004, 09:21 PM

Originally posted by solero:
Isn't the G5 chip cheaper to produce than the G4 (Just think I've read it somewhere - but I might very well be mistaken)
Yes, it is cheaper to produce than the G4. If anything, the opposite of what heresiarh said will be true: Cheaper PowerBooks.

And WWDC PB G5s are a possibility. I'm not saying there is any concrete evidence to back it up, but I have very little faith that Motorola is going to push the 7447A much further than 1.5GHz. So, Apple probably has a fire under their ass to push G5 PowerBook development as fast as possible.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

tavilach  (op)
Mac Elite
May 9, 2004, 09:37 PM

Originally posted by PowerMacMan:
Yes, it is cheaper to produce than the G4. If anything, the opposite of what heresiarh said will be true: Cheaper PowerBooks.

And WWDC PB G5s are a possibility. I'm not saying there is any concrete evidence to back it up, but I have very little faith that Motorola is going to push the 7447A much further than 1.5GHz. So, Apple probably has a fire under their ass to push G5 PowerBook development as fast as possible.
Why would they announce, then, that PB G5's were not going to be available anytime soon?

NightEyes
Forum Regular
May 9, 2004, 09:49 PM

I interpret Apple VP Joswiak recent statement concerning the PB G5 and heat production that "ways off" isas at least a year. I don't expect them before mid '05. Just my $.02. I believe originally the timeline was for Macworld SF '05, but unless a breakthrough is made with current yields and heat production that won't happen.

kdixey
Forum Regular
May 9, 2004, 10:20 PM

I would imagine that the G5 laptops (when they arrive) will probably debut as the high end of the powerbook range. With the introduction of the G5 towers the G4 towers, iMacs and eMacs didn't all vanish (they may eventually but it will take a while to transition). I think the G5 powerbook will co-exist with G4 powerbooks or ibooks for a while before they all make the switch. I would imagine that would mean the G5 powerbook will probably start off as a pretty pricey item (regardless of how cheap it might be to make).

I don't think buying a current G4 laptop is a horrible investment. The new ibooks and powerbooks are fast, well built and have reasonably good feature sets. I would prbably not buy an old Pismo because you'd probably end up spending as much on the Pismo to get it to run OS X reasonably as you would if you just popped for a new ibook.

Wait until August and see if there is any more concrete information about the ETA for the G5 powerbooks. A lot can happen in four months. The other option is but something now and sell it when the new powerbooks arrive (Macs hold their value amazingly well). Any software and preipherals you may buy in the interim should work just fine with a new powerbook.
--
"We are more curious about the meaning of dreams than things we see when awake"

....Diogenes

tavilach  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 1, 2004, 08:44 PM

Originally posted by kdixey:
I would imagine that the G5 laptops (when they arrive) will probably debut as the high end of the powerbook range. With the introduction of the G5 towers the G4 towers, iMacs and eMacs didn't all vanish (they may eventually but it will take a while to transition). I think the G5 powerbook will co-exist with G4 powerbooks or ibooks for a while before they all make the switch. I would imagine that would mean the G5 powerbook will probably start off as a pretty pricey item (regardless of how cheap it might be to make).

I don't think buying a current G4 laptop is a horrible investment. The new ibooks and powerbooks are fast, well built and have reasonably good feature sets. I would prbably not buy an old Pismo because you'd probably end up spending as much on the Pismo to get it to run OS X reasonably as you would if you just popped for a new ibook.

Wait until August and see if there is any more concrete information about the ETA for the G5 powerbooks. A lot can happen in four months. The other option is but something now and sell it when the new powerbooks arrive (Macs hold their value amazingly well). Any software and preipherals you may buy in the interim should work just fine with a new powerbook.
I still don't know what to do. They hold their values "amazingly well"? How well is that? If a PowerBook G5 came out, and blew the G4 away, who would buy the G4 for anything above half-price?

David Hagan
Forum Regular
Jun 1, 2004, 08:49 PM

Let's say for shits and giggles they announce a G5 PowerBook 17" at the WWDC at the end of June, I bet it wouldn't be available until August or September anyway. Apple's newest gadgets are usually never immediately available...they always seemed to be announced at trade shows because it's within a window of being completed but time required for producing tons of them.

tavilach  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 1, 2004, 09:00 PM

Originally posted by David Hagan:
Let's say for shits and giggles they announce a G5 PowerBook 17" at the WWDC at the end of June, I bet it wouldn't be available until August or September anyway. Apple's newest gadgets are usually never immediately available...they always seemed to be announced at trade shows because it's within a window of being completed but time required for producing tons of them.
...but that would be fine. August or September. I see your point, though. Are you saying that the soonest I'd probably be able to buy a G5 would be March of 2005, and most likely August of 2005?

David Hagan
Forum Regular
Jun 1, 2004, 09:11 PM

I cannot speak for Power Mac G5s. They are out of stock at the online Apple Store. And they probably will be updated (specs wise) between now and WWDC on June 28th. My guess would be that those Macs maybe available shortly after they are announced. But I wouldn't be surprised if they are delayed a month or more. The dual-2GHz Power Mac G5 didn't ship unil what? Late-August? It was announced in June.

I suspect that if Apple announces anything relative to iMacs and PowerBooks, it will be in a couple of weeks at the WWDC. I know that they just updated the PowerBooks, but I am one who believes they may just have a high-end G5 PB model to release...a 17-incher at the $3,299 ballpark. They brought the price of the 17-inch from $3,299 to $2,799. Having just purchased the latest 17-inch, nothing would stop me from not buying a new PowerBook G5 17-inch if it were announced in a few short weeks. But I know that if it was announced at the WWDC, I would have to wait until August or September to get my hands on one.

GoCats
Jun 1, 2004, 09:27 PM

I had been waiting for months and months hoping that news about a G5 Powerbook would be coming out someday soon, but I finally decided, based on various statements and rumors that the G5 powerbook wouldn't show up until January at the EARLIEST. And then I also thought that there is no way that I would buy a first-gen G5 powerbook. There's bound to be a few issues (as you would expect from any first gen product), so I wouldn't buy until the second gen is released. And given Apple's normal release schedule, the second gen PB G5 would be at least another 6-8 months after that.

So... when added up, I would guess that the G5 Powerbook that I'd want to buy won't come out for another year and a half - which is my normal upgrade period (18 months). Which is why I'm now typing on a new 17" powerbook! =)

David Hagan
Forum Regular
Jun 1, 2004, 09:47 PM

Whenever the PowerBook G5 comes out, I'm on it. I have had good luck with Rev. A. Apple Products, except the 15-inch AL PB. I bought the first G3 Power Mac, the first Power Mac with a G4 in it, the first Titanium PowerBook G4, the first of the iPods. My buddy bought the 1st of the 17-inch PB's and although he had a fan go noisy on him, it did still work fine and was repaired and turned around in a day. Not to say that I have been lucky, I'm just saying that I think the problems may be a little more populated, but it's not an epidemic as some make it out to be.

hldan
Mac Elite
Jun 1, 2004, 10:05 PM

Originally posted by tavilach:
NightEyes, "a ways off" couldn't possibly be later than January of 2005...

solero, there is no way a PowerBook G5 is going to be releasede this WWDC. It's not possible. As for your question, I'm planning on using it for programming, web design, hobbyist video editing, basic web tasks, etc.
How can you say that something is not possible? We are talking about Apple, a hush hush company that surprises the consumer every waking minute. I know the iMac is next on the list for a major revision and it could be in G5 form however there's always a good chance that a Powerbook G5 may show up at WWDC.
iMac 24" 2.8 Ghz Core 2 Extreme
500GB HDD
4GB Ram
Proud new Owner!

teknopimp
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 1, 2004, 10:23 PM

Originally posted by hldan:
I know the iMac is next on the list for a major revision and it could be in G5 form however there's always a good chance that a Powerbook G5 may show up at WWDC.

how do you 'know' the iMac is next for a major revision AND think or 'know' there's a good chance for a G5 PB in June?

please explain

David Hagan
Forum Regular
Jun 1, 2004, 10:38 PM

There is not a cintilla of evidence that the iMac nor the PowerBook will get G5 processors. It's purely speculation. Based on the way Apple has operated in the past, the iMac has not had a better processor than any pro-line product. While it stands to reason (for the mere obvious aspect of the G5) that the iMac may receive the G5 before the PowerBook does. But if history is any guide, there's a good chance that the PowerBook would get a taste of the G5 if not to appear outclassed by the consumer iMac. Then again, the iMacs may get just another simple G4 bump and the PowerBooks will remain untouched until the next slated revision in the fall.

hldan
Mac Elite
Jun 2, 2004, 02:01 AM

Originally posted by teknopimp:
how do you 'know' the iMac is next for a major revision AND think or 'know' there's a good chance for a G5 PB in June?

please explain
The iMac is the only Mac in Apple's line that still uses the older 256k on chip L2 cache system. Every other Mac has been updated to 512k L2 cache. For the record I never mentioned that there will be G5 iMac or Powerbook G5 in June. I said that Apple always surprises the consumer and anything is possible when it comes to Apple so there is a good chance of a G5 in the iMac or Powerbook but it's just speculation until later this month. Even with the iPod Mini Macworld 2004 wasn't groundbreaking as it has been in the past but since this year is Apple's 20th anniversary Steve Jobs said that there was going to be some exciting products being released this year and so far there have been only speed bumps so why not a groundbreaking iMac or Powerbook G5 at WWDC? Anything is possible.
500GB HDD
4GB Ram
Proud new Owner!

Phrixus
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 2, 2004, 06:49 AM

Quite funny that none of us knows what will happen... human nature however just loves to speculate/hope!!!

I for one would like to see a G5 PB... if one is announced I will be waiting for that!!

rglenn
Jun 2, 2004, 12:21 PM

There's not a hope of any new PowerBooks in the near- to mid-future. Why? Because they were just updated. Apple learned with the IIvx (amongst others) that you can't release a product and replace it 3 months later without getting SEVERELY disappointed customers and dealers.

My opinion? If a G5 PowerBook is *shown* at MWSF '05, air traffic control will be monitoring self-powered airborne swine.

teknopimp
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 2, 2004, 10:00 PM

The iMac is the only Mac in Apple's line that still uses the older 256k on chip L2 cache system. Every other Mac has been updated to 512k L2 cache. For the record I never mentioned that there will be G5 iMac or Powerbook G5 in June. I said that Apple always surprises the consumer and anything is possible when it comes to Apple so there is a good chance of a G5 in the iMac or Powerbook but it's just speculation until later this month. Even with the iPod Mini Macworld 2004 wasn't groundbreaking as it has been in the past but since this year is Apple's 20th anniversary Steve Jobs said that there was going to be some exciting products being released this year and so far there have been only speed bumps so why not a groundbreaking iMac or Powerbook G5 at WWDC? Anything is possible.
thanks for the explanation. it's just that everything points towards a G5 PowerBook coming NEXT year. i myself am hoping for a G4 upgrade but doubt apple would do it two months after the last upgrade. i'm ready to buy a new laptop so i hope you're right!

hldan
Mac Elite
Jun 3, 2004, 01:13 AM

Originally posted by rglenn:
There's not a hope of any new PowerBooks in the near- to mid-future. Why? Because they were just updated. Apple learned with the IIvx (amongst others) that you can't release a product and replace it 3 months later without getting SEVERELY disappointed customers and dealers.
Oh really? I guess you must have quickly forgotten about the "last" revision of the TiBook. Remember in November 2002 it was upgraded to 1.0 Ghz and then in January 2003 here comes the new 17" Aluminum (no paint issues, no hinge issues, no airport reception issues, new keyboard design, FW 800, Bluetooth and so on.) Lots of people were upset that they spent $3000.00 on the TiBook and 2 months later a much much better Powerbook was released.
Now I am not counting on a G5 Powerbook soon either but anything is possible with Apple. Don't sell them short, they push the envelope too.
Your analogy is not valid.
( Last edited by hldan; Jun 3, 2004 at 01:24 AM. )
500GB HDD
4GB Ram
Proud new Owner!

David Hagan
Forum Regular
Jun 3, 2004, 08:19 AM

I understand the frustration of TiBook owners who bought TiBooks that November only to have the 17" come along that January. If you don't think that Apple wouldn't do it again, this time with a G5, I think you're mistaken. They will release it/announce it, when it's ready.

rglenn
Jun 3, 2004, 10:19 AM

Oh really? I guess you must have quickly forgotten about the "last" revision of the TiBook. Remember in November 2002 it was upgraded to 1.0 Ghz and then in January 2003 here comes the new 17" Aluminum (no paint issues, no hinge issues, no airport reception issues, new keyboard design, FW 800, Bluetooth and so on.) Lots of people were upset that they spent $3000.00 on the TiBook and 2 months later a much much better Powerbook was released.
Now I am not counting on a G5 Powerbook soon either but anything is possible with Apple. Don't sell them short, they push the envelope too.
Hmm... forgot about that one.

It is, however, debatable which is more analagous to the G5 situation. We don't know if the G5s will replace G4s in all PowerBooks (the IIvx outright replaced the IIvi), or if a new higher-end G5 model will simply be added to the product mix (as was the case with the 17-incher)

EDIT: I appear to be full of crap. The IIvx was a hastily-engineered machine that was displaced - but not discontinued - when the Centris 610 came out four months later. So it's the same damned analogy (or would be if the TiBook's G4 had AltiVec disabled or something)
( Last edited by rglenn; Jun 3, 2004 at 10:31 AM. )

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Jun 3, 2004, 10:20 AM

Oh really? I guess you must have quickly forgotten about the "last" revision of the TiBook. Remember in November 2002 it was upgraded to 1.0 Ghz and then in January 2003 here comes the new 17" Aluminum ...
No for the most part his analogy is valid, this is just one exception. If you look back at Apple's timing you will see a consistant pattern.

Of course I can empathize with those who did buy their machine in November only to see a new model be released in January.

You can however extend that analogy to anyone buying a new computer. You see a bunch of threads here right after apple releases a new PB or PM, complaining that the sales rep didn't say anyhting about rolling out a new model as they were buying and of course they would have waited till the new one was released. Now they're stuck with "last years" model.

Mike

hldan
Mac Elite
Jun 3, 2004, 11:55 AM

Originally posted by Maflynn:
No for the most part his analogy is valid, this is just one exception. If you look back at Apple's timing you will see a consistant pattern.

Of course I can empathize with those who did buy their machine in November only to see a new model be released in January.

You can however extend that analogy to anyone buying a new computer. You see a bunch of threads here right after apple releases a new PB or PM, complaining that the sales rep didn't say anyhting about rolling out a new model as they were buying and of course they would have waited till the new one was released. Now they're stuck with "last years" model.

Mike
I'm sorry I'm not completely sure what a IIvx is unless he is talking about the Apple II from long way back I guess? If this is the one then that's so long ago that it's not worth using as an example. All I can say is that Apple is up against some hard PC competition with the new Dothan processors and HT P4's and with Motorola extending it's PPC out to only a mere 1.5Ghz it's likely that Apple will have to respond back with something very powerful and attractive.
My TiBook example just shows that Apple (like all PC companies) are not going to slow down on revisions and new products just to keep the customer happy with their recent purchases. They have to stay on top of the competition.
Once again I donot know what Apple will or will not release at the end of this month but it's naive to think that it won't be something mindblowing and possibly in a G5 formation and not necessarily a PM.

Please nobody say, "I TOLD YOU SO" at the end of the month if it's not something other than a PM as I am not saying that "know" it will be something other than a PM. As for the orignal poster asking about buying tips, this is a good time for you, just wait till then end of the month and make your decision then.
( Last edited by hldan; Jun 3, 2004 at 12:05 PM. )
500GB HDD
4GB Ram
Proud new Owner!

rglenn
Jun 3, 2004, 12:29 PM

I'm sorry I'm not completely sure what a IIvx is unless he is talking about the Apple II from long way back I guess? If this is the one then that's so long ago that it's not worth using as an example.
The Macintosh IIvx. 68030 processor.

(Yeah, probably not relevant at all, but it felt good being able to recall it, even as inaccurate as it was)

tavilach  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 3, 2004, 07:13 PM

I'm sorry I'm not completely sure what a IIvx is unless he is talking about the Apple II from long way back I guess? If this is the one then that's so long ago that it's not worth using as an example. All I can say is that Apple is up against some hard PC competition with the new Dothan processors and HT P4's and with Motorola extending it's PPC out to only a mere 1.5Ghz it's likely that Apple will have to respond back with something very powerful and attractive.
My TiBook example just shows that Apple (like all PC companies) are not going to slow down on revisions and new products just to keep the customer happy with their recent purchases. They have to stay on top of the competition.
Once again I donot know what Apple will or will not release at the end of this month but it's naive to think that it won't be something mindblowing and possibly in a G5 formation and not necessarily a PM.

Please nobody say, "I TOLD YOU SO" at the end of the month if it's not something other than a PM as I am not saying that "know" it will be something other than a PM. As for the orignal poster asking about buying tips, this is a good time for you, just wait till then end of the month and make your decision then.
Haha...I'm not "tavilach," but rather "the original poster." Thanks for the tip, though.

amazing
Professional Poster
Jun 4, 2004, 05:20 PM

A good strategy would be to get the features you need for the year or year and a half it will take for G5 Powerbook to come out--and the few months it takes for the first user reports to solidify. After all, you definitely know that you're going to be salivating over the newest and fastest PB, so you know you'll be wanting to upgrade.

The real question will be, will you be willing to wait while other early adapters try out the first generation G5 PB, or will you jump right in with the other beta testers?

teknopimp
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 10, 2004, 01:28 AM

How can you say that something is not possible? We are talking about Apple, a hush hush company that surprises the consumer every waking minute. I know the iMac is next on the list for a major revision and it could be in G5 form however there's always a good chance that a Powerbook G5 may show up at WWDC.

plasticmoz
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 10, 2004, 12:18 PM

Originally posted by teknopimp:
My sentiments exactly, some people just love to live in denial I guess. Keep waiting for a G5 PB at WWDC, and I'll wait for Santa to bring me a Bentley GT this Christmas.

saltines17
Senior User
Jun 10, 2004, 04:19 PM

Back to the original post...

I'm going to college next year, too, and I'm having a real problem deciding on a computer.

The obvious tradeoff is, relatively:

Slow and portable versus fast and not-portable.

Whereas this is always a tradeoff to make, the fact is that the current Powerbook G4 lineup is vastly outdated relative to the current G5 processor-speeds.

I want to keep this computer as more or less my main system for the next 3-4 years. In addition to whatever my school requirements are, I will definitely do a lot of Final Cut work, and to a lesser extent, Cinema 4D and Photoshop work.

Obviously, the Dual G5 will kill the G4 in Cinema 4D and will be extremely usable even six or seven years from now, whereas the G4 will be a compromise in power *right now*, coming from a Dual 1.2 G4 desktop that I use at home.

I'm really torn. Portability seems like a wonderful option, and I'm sure the 1.5 GHz G4 will allow me to work in Final Cut for 3-4 years. Obviously, professional editors don't need to update their systems to the latest and greatest every revision; real professionalism lies in the ability to make the most of what you have and to make a high-quality product using available resources.

Can any professional editors speak about using a laptop as a main system? I'm also more worried about future interests - 3D, especially - that will not only run faster on the G5 but will also run noticeably not-well on the single-processor G4.

Sigh; the dilemmas of computing. Clearly I don't want to come across as just a whiny kid complaining about needing more than what is available. But, I do want to make an investment that will last me the majority of my undergraduate life, and I want to eventually move into a professional realm using whatever technology I get this year.

What it boils down to is: I want a Powerbook, but I don't want to make a mistake in terms of future processing power.

To reiterate the original post: Help?

spacefreak
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 10, 2004, 05:15 PM

I don't know what to buy...
Get a 17" PowerBook now. I just got one, and this machine is awesome. Apple's had a few revision releases on this model now, and everything's as tight and solid as can be. Load it up with some 3rd-party memory, and you'll be set for at least a few years.

I don't think we'll see a G5 PB for at least 10-12 months, and even then, it will be a first and potentially buggy release. I'd rather have a refined workhourse than a cutting-edge hassle anyday.

I seem to buy an Apple computer a year, and I am most impressed (at the moment) with the 1.5 Ghz 17" Powerbook. The extra size of the 17" is awesome - fits comfortably on my lap, runs cooler than the 15", and the screen size...oustanding.

tavilach  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 7, 2004, 05:35 AM

So, WWDC passed, and as was expected, not even a hint of a PowerBook G5.

I start college in 1.5 months. What the heck do I do?

How long do you think it'll be before Rev B PowerBook G5's come out? If it's around two years, I can always get a G4 now, and a G5 then (pricey, but manageable after two years). If it's more like one year, I can perhaps get an iBook or a *cough* PC *cough* to temporarily quench my portability needs...after all, I'm currently a PC user anyway.

What do I do? Help! Buying time...starts...now!

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Jul 7, 2004, 07:12 AM

I would go and buy either a PowerBook or an iBook. Ther performance delta bewteen them is small. If your worried about your investment then the iBook is a reasonable purchase. The iBook's case can take more abuse then the PB so as student I'd say go for that one. I have the 15"PB 1.25GHz and that is a great machine.

Don't paralyze yourself with what might happen in a few months, buy what you need now and enjoy. There will always be faster computers coming around the corner. Life is too short to worry over what might happen.

Mike

amazing
Professional Poster
Jul 7, 2004, 02:55 PM

rglenn pointed out in another post that Apple Edu has a $200 off promo for laptops and iPod

http://www.apple.com/education/promos/bts/index.html

So, I'd suggest getting a 12" PB or 12" iBook Combo drive with iPod while you're waiting for the eventual G5 laptop of your dreams. AFAIK, it's only the 12" iBook CD-Rom and the mini-iPod that don't qualify for the rebate??

tavilach  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 7, 2004, 06:46 PM

Originally posted by Maflynn:
I would go and buy either a PowerBook or an iBook. Ther performance delta bewteen them is small. If your worried about your investment then the iBook is a reasonable purchase. The iBook's case can take more abuse then the PB so as student I'd say go for that one. I have the 15"PB 1.25GHz and that is a great machine.

Don't paralyze yourself with what might happen in a few months, buy what you need now and enjoy. There will always be faster computers coming around the corner. Life is too short to worry over what might happen.

Mike
I'd normally agree with you...there will always be faster computers coming around the corner. In this case, though...I mean...the G4 doesn't even compare!

Eek!

Lancer409
Professional Poster
Jul 7, 2004, 07:21 PM

Just go for the G4, I did. No regrets.

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

tavilach  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 7, 2004, 07:35 PM

Originally posted by Lancer409:
Just go for the G4, I did. No regrets.
No regrets...yet.

Jwylie
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 7, 2004, 09:28 PM

I'm ordering tomorow, now as good as a free ipod, but a 15gb for 100 dollars, is good enough
( Last edited by Jwylie; Jul 7, 2004 at 09:37 PM. )

iomatic
Mac Elite
Jul 7, 2004, 10:03 PM

Yes, buy what you need, though. In my professional opinion in the commercial arts, a PowerBook is great, but I feel I have to baby the thing. A colleague just dropped her (Aluminum) PowerBook, in a bag, and it dented. Horrible use of materials, I think, aluminum.

I've had iBooks, and prefer their toughness. But I also enjoy performance, making a living out of this, so, it's your call in regards to which you decide upon. So, I'm recommending an iBook if you're a student, and a PowerBook if you rely on it to make an return on investment.

US$.02

Originally posted by Jwylie:
I'm ordering tomorow, now as good as a free ipod, but a 15gb for 100 dollars, is good enough

tavilach  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 7, 2004, 11:55 PM

Originally posted by iomatic:
Yes, buy what you need, though. In my professional opinion in the commercial arts, a PowerBook is great, but I feel I have to baby the thing. A colleague just dropped her (Aluminum) PowerBook, in a bag, and it dented. Horrible use of materials, I think, aluminum.

I've had iBooks, and prefer their toughness. But I also enjoy performance, making a living out of this, so, it's your call in regards to which you decide upon. So, I'm recommending an iBook if you're a student, and a PowerBook if you rely on it to make an return on investment.

US$.02
Well, I'm not debating between a PowerBook and an iBook. I know that I want a PowerBook. I'm deciding, though, if I should buy a temporary iBook or Dell before the G5's are released, or if it'll be such a long time that I'll be able to buy a PowerBook G4 now, and then get a G5 when it's out (which would have to be like two years away, or the gap is too short for the money).

wuzup101
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 8, 2004, 01:06 AM

I'd have to say in my honest oppinion go for it. I'm in the same place as you. I just finished my freshman year and decided that I really need a notebook for this comming year... I can't get anything done in my dorm room ever. Anyway, from the research/reading I have been doing over the past few weeks while trying to decide on notebooks... and more specifically the type of mac I wanted... the G5 pb isn't comming any time soon. You're probably looking at 12 months until the first units begin to ship. There probably won't be anything that's worth buying (read: rev b or c) for 18 months.

BTW... not that rev a books aren't worth buying, but for a student that uses their laptop for their main/only system it can be frustraiting to have any problems with a computer. Believe me, I've experienced it, you want something solid and well tested... do yourself a favor and get a nice new shiny PB and upgrade in 2-3 or more years when you can afford it.

Think about it... if you can save $800/year for the next three years (something that's pretty easy if you get a decent summer job) you can pretty much keep the book your buying now and then get a G5... or you cold sell your PB in 2 years and easily have enough money w/ that pluss the 800/year to buy a new G5 after they have been tested and proved!

tavilach  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 8, 2004, 02:02 AM

Originally posted by wuzup101:
I'd have to say in my honest oppinion go for it. I'm in the same place as you. I just finished my freshman year and decided that I really need a notebook for this comming year... I can't get anything done in my dorm room ever. Anyway, from the research/reading I have been doing over the past few weeks while trying to decide on notebooks... and more specifically the type of mac I wanted... the G5 pb isn't comming any time soon. You're probably looking at 12 months until the first units begin to ship. There probably won't be anything that's worth buying (read: rev b or c) for 18 months.

BTW... not that rev a books aren't worth buying, but for a student that uses their laptop for their main/only system it can be frustraiting to have any problems with a computer. Believe me, I've experienced it, you want something solid and well tested... do yourself a favor and get a nice new shiny PB and upgrade in 2-3 or more years when you can afford it.

Think about it... if you can save $800/year for the next three years (something that's pretty easy if you get a decent summer job) you can pretty much keep the book your buying now and then get a G5... or you cold sell your PB in 2 years and easily have enough money w/ that pluss the 800/year to buy a new G5 after they have been tested and proved!
You make a good point. There's also the option of just begging my parents to let me buy another PB in two years...

...hahaha. I'm sure they'll just curse at me. Damnit...I don't want to be a poor college student!

wuzup101
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 8, 2004, 11:12 PM

You make a good point. There's also the option of just begging my parents to let me buy another PB in two years...

...hahaha. I'm sure they'll just curse at me. Damnit...I don't want to be a poor college student!
LOL... yeah it does suck believe me. I'm not "poor" by any means, but I rarely buy anything while I'm at school. I think the only things I bought for myself last year were videogames and some blank DVD-Rs. Maybe $150 total (not including the stuff that you need to live... beer and such... )

One general thing about school and $$$... if you like buying people xmas gifts (as I do) I suggest saving a few hundred and putting it in a safe spot (like your savings account). It's hard to work at school especially during your first semester so getting money smack in the middle of the year is hard.

tavilach  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 8, 2004, 11:14 PM

Originally posted by wuzup101:
LOL... yeah it does suck believe me. I'm not "poor" by any means, but I rarely buy anything while I'm at school. I think the only things I bought for myself last year were videogames and some blank DVD-Rs. Maybe $150 total (not including the stuff that you need to live... beer and such... )

One general thing about school and $$$... if you like buying people xmas gifts (as I do) I suggest saving a few hundred and putting it in a safe spot (like your savings account). It's hard to work at school especially during your first semester so getting money smack in the middle of the year is hard.
I'm Jewish, so that won't be a problem.

tavilach  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 14, 2004, 07:18 PM

I talked to my mom about my situation, and she seems to have a solution...

She says that if I keep the PowerBook G4 (that I will soon buy, it seems) for no less than two years, my sister (who is two years younger) can take it when she goes to college, and I can get a PowerBook G5.

That's a pretty flawless plan, isn't it?

Please don't call me a rich bastard, though! I promise...I'm not!

ryju
Professional Poster
Jul 14, 2004, 08:52 PM

I talked to my mom about my situation, and she seems to have a solution...

She says that if I keep the PowerBook G4 (that I will soon buy, it seems) for no less than two years, my sister (who is two years younger) can take it when she goes to college, and I can get a PowerBook G5.

That's a pretty flawless plan, isn't it?

Please don't call me a rich bastard, though! I promise...I'm not!
You rich bastard.

Anyways I would get the G4 PowerBook, since that's what I'm doing before I go to college in the fall. Will be getting the 15inch superdrive 1.5GHz.

I could care less about G5s in the PowerBook's that could be a year away for all I know.

Forum Links
Forum Rules