Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Digital Audio In The New 17"

Digital Audio In The New 17"
rhythmicmoose
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 6, 2005, 04:11 PM

I noticed that the new 1.67 GHz 17" PowerBook comes with digital audio in/out rather than the simple line-in and line-out ports on the 15" and 12". I listen to a lot of music through headphones through the line-out port of my PowerBook, but I've always been disappointed in the audio quality. The same audio sounds far worse than when played through an iPod. I was wondering if anyone knows whether the 17" has a better audio processor than the two smaller models. It would seem like it should, since it has digital audio while the other two don't, no?

David Hagan
Forum Regular
Feb 6, 2005, 04:38 PM

I thought I was an audiophile!

I have never had a problem with the audio in and headphone (line out) jack of the PowerBooks. They have always sounded good to me. Time for new headphones?

rhythmicmoose  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 6, 2005, 04:56 PM

Originally posted by David Hagan:
I thought I was an audiophile!

I have never had a problem with the audio in and headphone (line out) jack of the PowerBooks. They have always sounded good to me. Time for new headphones?
Well, I'm speaking from my experience with my 12" PowerBook, and if Apple were ever to skimp on audio components, they probably would have done it on this machine. I don't really consider myself an audiophile, but I do have pretty good ears. When I listen to the same track in iTunes and then on my iPod, the iPod has far more detail and depth on both the high and low end, and the PowerBook sounds generally thinner everywhere. This is with no EQ settings on either machine, but with Sound Enhancer on in iTunes. The headphones I'm using are Sennheiser EH2270s.

David Hagan
Forum Regular
Feb 6, 2005, 05:03 PM

Oh. Well I don't have experience with a PowerBook 12-inch. I have only had experience with the 15- and 17-inch models. If there is a difference between the 12 and the rest of the line, that's a real bummer. They should all be the same.

junebug630
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 6, 2005, 09:35 PM

I am curious about this feature. When I think digital audio out, I think of a cable straight from the laptop to my home theater receiver so I can get 5.1 surround sound from my powerbook when playing DVDs. The digital audio cable I use with my current standalone DVD player has a bigger plug than the one that goes into a powerbook.(i.e. bigger than the std line-in minijack) Did they increase the size at the powerbook or do you need an adapter to connect to a receiver? Thanks.

bastula
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 6, 2005, 09:45 PM

Originally posted by junebug630:
I am curious about this feature. When I think digital audio out, I think of a cable straight from the laptop to my home theater receiver so I can get 5.1 surround sound from my powerbook when playing DVDs. The digital audio cable I use with my current standalone DVD player has a bigger plug than the one that goes into a powerbook.(i.e. bigger than the std line-in minijack) Did they increase the size at the powerbook or do you need an adapter to connect to a receiver? Thanks.
It has an optical out miniplug (3.5 mm). This is the same size as the headphone jack. These kind of jacks are most commonly found on portable MiniDisc recorders, but most recently you can see that they are also available on the new iMac and the Airport Express.

The bottom line is that the port is dual function - plug in analog speakers/headphones and they will work as normal. But if you plug in an mini Toslink optical cable, it will pass digital audio.

ar1550
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 6, 2005, 10:16 PM

Originally posted by junebug630:
Yes, you would need an adapter to go from the Powerbook to the 5.1 receiver. Assuming the receiver has TOSLINK (optical) input, you just need a mini-optical to TOSLINK adapter ($5 at Radio Shack). If the receiver does not have optical, but only a coaxial digital connector, there is also an optical-digital modulator available there for $15.

rhythmicmoose  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 12, 2005, 01:12 AM

I hate to be one to bump, but it's been a while since this thread was alive and I was wondering if anyone who has one of these new PowerBooks could comment on the audio quality of the headphone line-out. Thanks.

Agent69
Mac Elite
Mar 12, 2005, 12:24 PM

I would suggest making a trip to a local Apple Store and try them out the Powerbooks with your headphones. Bring a regular music CD with you.

From what I have read, I believe that they would be willing to let you try them out.
Agent69

Forum Links
Forum Rules