Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > AirPort card disappeared!

AirPort card disappeared!
porieux
Baninated
Feb 15, 2005, 07:07 PM

( Last edited by porieux; Oct 2, 2006 at 05:13 AM. )

philc
Feb 15, 2005, 07:11 PM

Does it not sound like it has become physically disconnected somehow? I don't know much about how easy to service the PB is but if there are any panels on the bottom/sides that you can remove take a look.

This may happen if the laptop was shook or dropped or transported and it was not connected firmly at ship time?

Phil

porieux  (op)
Baninated
Feb 15, 2005, 07:14 PM

TailsToo
Mac Elite
Feb 15, 2005, 08:11 PM

Originally posted by porieux:
Yeah you are right, there is a plate at the bottom I guess I should get the correct screwdriver and open it up to reseat the card.

I hope it wasn't dropped!
You can't get to the card any longer - the plate is for RAM access only. Your only option would be to bring it in for service, and I think that Apple will make you send it back (Apple told me that a store would just box and ship it off for me.).

porieux  (op)
Baninated
Feb 15, 2005, 09:15 PM

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Feb 15, 2005, 09:42 PM

At least on the 1.25GHz 15" AlBooks, the AirPort card is installed via a small hatch in the battery bay. It can't hurt to check if the hatch is still there.

tooki

vandercl
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 15, 2005, 10:20 PM

I received the same PB last week (15", 1.67). The airport card was not recognized out of the box. I took it to the apple store, and they opened it up, thinking the same thing about the card becoming unseated. Unfortunately, that did not solve the problem, and I am now awaiting shipment of a replacement.

I surely hope that this isn't a bug in the Rev D's.

bob

porieux  (op)
Baninated
Feb 15, 2005, 10:25 PM

porieux  (op)
Baninated
Feb 15, 2005, 10:26 PM

David Hagan
Forum Regular
Feb 15, 2005, 10:36 PM

That's really stinks that you can't get access to check it out. The iMac G5 is user serviceable and it should be the model for the next PowerBook design. It must be costing Apple a fortune in technical labor costs to fix malfunctioning PowerBooks because they are so intricately designed and time consuming to disassemble.

TailsToo
Mac Elite
Feb 15, 2005, 10:49 PM

My card works, but worse than the airport card in my TI... and I can't figure out why since I can't get at the card! :/

porieux  (op)
Baninated
Feb 16, 2005, 08:31 AM

( Last edited by porieux; Oct 2, 2006 at 05:14 AM. )

porieux  (op)
Baninated
Feb 18, 2005, 12:24 PM

Voch
Mac Elite
Feb 18, 2005, 12:28 PM

Still no joy.
If it's been three days and the machine is new, call Apple and scream (and my "scream" I mean "ask politely for help and if need be return the machine for repair").

Voch

Crusoe
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 18, 2005, 01:30 PM

Mine disappeared two weeks ago on my Rev A. 17" 10 days before the warranty ended. Logic board is getting replaced.

I'm surprised they made it where the user couldn't get in there and check for the 15".

If you're in time and didn't BTO/CTO anything I'd have them give you a new one, within 10 days I think. Otherwise get that baby in for warranty service.
If a group of mimes are miming a forest and one falls down, does he make a sound?

jzdziarski
Forum Regular
Feb 18, 2005, 04:27 PM

My Rev-D 17" arrived with a DOA Airport Card. I contacted Apple and convinced one of the supervisors to cross-ship me a new one, which I got within 2 days. Sadly though, I don't know what they would do if you've had it for a while. From everything I've seen on the fixit forums, the new ones aren't really serviceable in that respect - nothing to reseat.

porieux  (op)
Baninated
Feb 18, 2005, 06:12 PM

amazing
Professional Poster
Feb 18, 2005, 06:22 PM

There is no hatch there.

I have to give my PB up just to replace the AirPort card??
Yep, another innovation from Apple, sad to say. Especially since it sounds like the antenna connection has come loose, a minor thing.

On the other hand, taking a PB apart is pretty complicated, so sending it in is the thing to do.

You can always get a wireless PC-card, because the ones that use the Buffalo chip are supported natively in Panther. Just define a new location that uses the newly discovered card, note down the MAC address if you use Mac address filtering on your base station. Use ethernet to configure the base station to accept the new card.

At least you'd continue to have wireless until you had the leisure to send in the baby for the repair.

Frankly, if I were still within the 10 days grace period, I'd run over to store and demand a new one.

Edit: The new 12" PB still shows the AE card from the bottom bay, but the new 15" and 17" do not.

porieux  (op)
Baninated
Feb 18, 2005, 06:23 PM

jzdziarski
Forum Regular
Feb 18, 2005, 07:07 PM

No. It would show up with no signal. Trust me, it isn't the antenna (I peeked). And it isn't the connector either. I think it's got to do with the card itself somehow.

porieux  (op)
Baninated
Feb 19, 2005, 02:24 AM

amazing
Professional Poster
Feb 19, 2005, 11:24 AM

I wonder if they would open the PB and replace the AirPort card at the Apple Store?
Call them and see what they say--and please do report back on the answer? Inquiring minds want to know, and all that...

This could be a whole bunch of different problems. There have been numerous threads over the years where poor reception was cured by re-seating the antenna plug. Naturally, it could also be the card itself. Or, it could be that the antenna has worked itself loose from where it peaks through the plastic windows on each side of the display.

Whatever you do, be sure to have everything backed up.

jzdziarski
Forum Regular
Feb 19, 2005, 11:30 AM

I asked about this; their answer was that it was "on" the main logic board, and so they wouldn't - clearly this isn't the case, but they're at least considering it part of the main board.

Drakino
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 19, 2005, 03:50 PM

Why ship it somewhere when odds are you have an Authorized Service Provider near you who could open it up on site and not have to leave you without it for more then an hour or so?

http://wheretobuy.apple.com/locator/service.html

Support your local reseller/repair center instead of trusting the Apple store folks to do nothing more then put your Powerbook in a box.

Apple better knock off their anti-reseller crap soon. If my local one goes under, I will be very demanding of Apple to fix any problems with my machines with the least amount of turnaround, since they can't put qualified 20 year experienced tech people in at their own stores.
<This space under renovation>

porieux  (op)
Baninated
Feb 20, 2005, 07:51 PM

porieux  (op)
Baninated
Feb 20, 2005, 07:57 PM

Steve Bosell
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 3, 2005, 02:25 PM

I received my 15" 1.67ghz powerbook yesterday and the airport was "not installed", rebooted and it appeared. this morning started it up "not installed". I called apple and the guy had me reset the pram, the airport card is back for the time being, we will see......

porieux  (op)
Baninated
Mar 4, 2005, 09:09 PM

( Last edited by porieux; Oct 2, 2006 at 05:15 AM. )

Steve Bosell
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 7, 2005, 02:31 PM

today, it looks like my airport just died for good.

nuggetman
Forum Regular
Mar 7, 2005, 03:26 PM

when you remove the battery you can see the antenna going under a small flap, the airport card is in there and it looks exactly like a PC card (at least on my 12" powerbook)

mine got knocked loose when i dropped my PB a few months ago... sent me in to a good panic til i found it

Garage81
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 7, 2005, 03:55 PM

i have one of the new 1.5ghz 15" and have had no problems with my airport cards. sounds like it might be a problem on the 1.67 models only?

Mac Mini : 1.66 Core Duo : 2 GB ♥

porieux  (op)
Baninated
Mar 9, 2005, 05:18 PM

Crusoe
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 10, 2005, 11:04 AM

Again my when my Airport card disappeared the controller on the logic board was dead so they had to replace the logic board.

One thing I didn't try in my troubleshooting is to use a PC Card of some sort. I have both wifi cards and CF memory card readers but didn't try them. I would bet if you tried one out and it wasn't recognized it's a good sign the controller is fried, if it works, it may just be a bad airport card.
If a group of mimes are miming a forest and one falls down, does he make a sound?

Sarc
Mac Elite
Mar 10, 2005, 11:36 AM

Getting scared over here ...
My 12in PB (Rev. B, 1GHz) lost the AirPort Card as well as the Built-In Ethernet yesterday.
So I changed the location, and then put it back as it was and the problem was solved.
Never happened to me before.
:: frankenstein / lcd-less TiBook / 1GHz / radeon 9000 64MB / 1GB RAM / w/ext. 250GB fw drive / noname usb bluetooth dongle / d-link usb 2.0 pcmcia card / X.5.8
:: unibody macbook pro / 2.4 Ghz C2D / 6GB RAM / dell 2407wfp - X.6.3

porieux  (op)
Baninated
May 23, 2005, 04:02 PM

Forum Links
Forum Rules