Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 17" pbook cd slot durability

17" pbook cd slot durability
jeepandmacfan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 21, 2005, 11:37 PM

I am considering buying a 17" Powerbook, but I am concerned about the slim piece of plastic that is the top edge of the CD slot. Considering how much time my heavy hand will spend resting on this surface, I can't see how it will not fatigue, and crack and perhaps hinder the operation of the CD drive. The 15" PB has a considerably larger top edge, that I have more faith in. Has anyone out there ever had an issue with the CD slot design/performance on a 17" model?
This side of the blackest meadows
I make my winter dwelling
And crush my bones

David Hagan
Forum Regular
Feb 22, 2005, 12:25 AM

Rest assured, of all of the things to worry about, this is not one of them. It's not going to cave in, unless your hand weighs like 400 lbs.

jeepandmacfan  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 22, 2005, 06:04 PM

I am glad everyone just dismisses this, because it must mean it is a non-issue. To me the design looked VERY WEAK. I currently have a 14" iBook and the plastic bezel around the screen has cracks (near the screws that come in from the sides) and I don't handle the iBook by the screen. I do however pick up my iBook by grabing the bottom with my right hand, which would put my thumb directly over the unsupported cd slot. I played with one at the Apple store, and I was easily distorting the opening with just normal typing and handling. Considering the fatigue cracks that showed up on my iBook, I could only imagine what would happen to the powerbook. I like where the CD slot is on a iBook much better than the Powerbooks.
This side of the blackest meadows
I make my winter dwelling
And crush my bones

TailsToo
Mac Elite
Feb 22, 2005, 08:51 PM

The entire lip around the top edge of all the new Powerbooks is plastic. I wouldn't worry about it too much - if they were an issue, I think that we would have heard about them over the past couple of years. (however dropping the unit might cause a crack rather than a dent. Not sure which is worse.

Forum Links
Forum Rules