Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > If you bought a 1.67 15" Powerbook from the Apple Online Store..

If you bought a 1.67 15" Powerbook from the Apple Online Store..
striker100
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 23, 2005, 02:04 PM

Were there any bad (stuck or dead) pixels on the display? If there were did you try to get it replaced and if you did what was the outcome.

David Hagan
Forum Regular
Feb 23, 2005, 02:24 PM

porieux
Baninated
Feb 23, 2005, 03:35 PM

no but my airport card is dead

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Feb 23, 2005, 03:40 PM

If you're concerned about stuck pixels, I would go to a laptop manufacturer that guarantees zero stuck pixels rather than one that talks about how many pixel anomalies are "acceptable"

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Feb 23, 2005, 04:29 PM

asxless
Mac Elite
Feb 23, 2005, 06:33 PM

I purchased my 15" 1.67Mhz AlBook at the local Apple Store. I opened the box in the store as soon as I had signed the charge ticket. Thankfully, the LCD is flawless

The Apple Store staff were very clear that when I opened the box it was already _my_ computer. It is unclear what they would have done if I had found a few 'dead pixels'. But I am clear on what I would have done -- I would have returned it and requested a replacement on the spot. If they refused to replace it at no charge I would have simply returned it (and _probably_ paid a restocking fee, if necessary).

FWIW I have purchased over a dozen PowerBooks over the years and have never had a dead pixel. BUT.... I always purchase PowerBooks in person and inspect them while I am still in the store. If there is going to be a fuss over screen quality, I want it to happen in front of other potential customers.

-- asxless in iLand

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Feb 23, 2005, 06:53 PM

Originally posted by asxless:
It is unclear what they would have done if I had found a few 'dead pixels'. But I am clear on what I would have done -- I would have returned it and requested a replacement on the spot. If they refused to replace it at no charge I would have simply returned it (and _probably_ paid a restocking fee, if necessary).
Apple's policy is that all technical problems go through AppleCare. There are no returns on open boxes. If the staff were to follow policy they would not take it back or exchange it. You may want to return it, but once you've paid for it there is no way you can force them to buy it back from you.

I used to work for an Apple reseller and we were not allowed to take back opened Apple products unless we receive authorization from AppleCare and then only for exchange.

GSixZero
Mac Elite
Feb 23, 2005, 07:40 PM

Apple retail stores have a 14 day return policy with a 10% restocking fee for opened computers, ipods, etc.

That being said, my new 15" 1.67 is flawless, as far as I can tell. I haven't had a chance to check it out with a photographic loupe, but if it's something I can't see with my bare eye, who cares?

asxless
Mac Elite
Feb 23, 2005, 09:02 PM

OPPs double post
( Last edited by asxless; Feb 23, 2005 at 09:11 PM. )

asxless
Mac Elite
Feb 23, 2005, 09:08 PM

Originally posted by Wiskedjak:
Apple's policy is that all technical problems go through AppleCare. There are no returns on open boxes. If the staff were to follow policy they would not take it back or exchange it. You may want to return it, but once you've paid for it there is no way you can force them to buy it back from you.

I used to work for an Apple reseller and we were not allowed to take back opened Apple products unless we receive authorization from AppleCare and then only for exchange.
And Apple can easily maintain that one sided policy if (and only if) their customers meekly accept it, slink back to their house/office and dutifully call AppleCare to discuss the issue(s) on Apple's turf (i.e. where Apple is in full control).

OTOH When I purchased my PowerBook the Apple Store was packed. People were queued to purchase various products. So it is still unclear (at least to me) what the staff would have done if I called AppleCare on my cell phone while I was still in the store. Made sure that the ensuing discussion about the quality of Apple's LCDs and their pixel policy was easily overheard while I politely repeated verbatim what I was being told by AppleCare for clarification (e.g. So you are telling me that ....). And then escalating the call through as many levels as my freshly charged cell phone battery would last.

Maybe the Apple Store staff would have done it 'by the book'. Or maybe they would have seen the opportunity for damage control and offered to exchange the PowerBook (with a restocking fee?). We will never know. Because, as I said, my PowerBook's LCD is flawless

But one thing is certain, I would _not_ have had that _potential_ leverage by ordering my PowerBook online and then calling AppleCare from my home/office if it turned up a dud.

-- asxless in iLand

TailsToo
Mac Elite
Feb 23, 2005, 09:26 PM

My screen was perfect!

I haven't had a stuck pixel since 1994 on my old Duo 270c

Forum Links
Forum Rules