Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > After some amazing Apple customer service, I now have a new 15" PB!!!

After some amazing Apple customer service, I now have a new 15" PB!!!
tictactoe
Forum Regular
Feb 25, 2005, 02:37 AM

As some of you may have noted, I was a bit unhappy with my 12" PB. I loved everything about it other than the size of the screen. So here is the story:

I put my PB up for trade in the marketplace and received alot of emails from 17" owners wanting to trade. I decided to be fair to those people, I would go to the Apple store and take a look at just how big the 17" is. I went there with my girlfriend tonight and took a look at the 17" and realized that it was a tad too big for my liking. I headed over to the 15" that I knew I should have gotten in the first place and started playing around with it.

An Apple employee walked up to me and asked me if I could use some help, the conversation went like this:

Me: "Not really, I bought a 12" PB over a month ago and I realized I should have gone with the 15" instead"

Him: "Do you have everything that came with the computer?"

Me: "Yeah, I have everything and the laptop is flawless."

Him: "Bring it in and I'll let you exchange it, but you'll have to pay the difference which includes the 10% restocking fee."

Me: "Are you serious? You know I've had it for over 1 month right? You'll still let me do it?"

Him: "I'm a nice guy, so yes "

Me while trying not to kiss this guy on the mouth: "Wow...thanks a lot I'll go get it right now and come back"

4 hours later, here I am on my brand new 15" PB

For those curious about the damage:

I had to pay $570 to go from the 12" PB to the 15" PB, including the 10% restocking fee. Not too bad because I got:

.17ghz more processing speed
256mb of extra ram
20gig of extra hd space
3" more of screen real estate + higher resolution
PC card slot
Gigabit ethernet
S-Video out (I needed this)
Scrolling trackpad
Motion-sensing HD
Backlit keyboard

^ that's how I justified the purchase

Pictures will be on the way soon and I also have a 12" Shinza case and a 12" ScreenSavr to sell if anyone is interested. By the way, I the 15's keyboard seems to be much, much nicer and it is actually bigger than the 12". I thought they were supposed to be the same size?

All in all, I'm very happy I did it. Apple products and customer service are tier 1 in my book.

Edit: Here are the things I have for sale now http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...hreadid=247022
( Last edited by tictactoe; Feb 25, 2005 at 04:22 AM. )

jindrich
Forum Regular
Feb 25, 2005, 04:17 PM

wow is this true?
that's awesome post sale service. how would i love to have somthing similar here, on the other side of the atlantic. apple: stores in europe, when?

btw, congrats on your 15". i think it's the best laptop out there right now. i love mine.
hey, exactly today we've been together for one week. i'm taking it to a restaurant to celebrate it

what did you impress the most in the change (besides screen size)?

jmagic
Feb 25, 2005, 05:14 PM

congrats, i feel the 15" is the perfect size
ibook 900 12.1" combo 640mb =)
powerbook 1.33 15" 768mb =P

wuzup101
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 25, 2005, 05:39 PM

Hey man you got quite lucky! Glad to hear you finally got what you wanted. I love my 15"... and so do the ladies... and they like the powerbook too
Mac: 15" 1.5ghz PB w/ 128mb vid, 5400rpm 80gb, combo drive, 2gb ram
Peripherals: 20gb 4g iPod, Canon i950, Canon S230 "elph", Canon LIDE30, Logitech MX510, Logitech z5500, M-Audio Sonica Theater, Samsung 191T
PC: AMD "barton" XP @ 2.3ghz, 1gb pc3200, 9800pro 128mb, 120gb WD-SE 120gb
Xbox: 1.6, modded with X3 xecuter, slayers evoX 2.6, WDSE 120gb HDD

f1000
Professional Poster
Feb 25, 2005, 05:45 PM

Originally posted by tictactoe:
4 hours later, here I am on my brand new 15" PB
I'm happy for you.

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 25, 2005, 06:06 PM

I've said many times before that the primary reason that I continue to be an Apple customer is due to the fantastic and consistently great constomer service that I've received over the years.

Apple went out of their way back to please us back in 2000 when we got our first Mac (iMac DV SE 500) and they have been doing the same thing ever since.

Congrats on your PB. That may be my next purchase. :-)
- MacBook Air M2 16GB / 512GB
- MacBook Pro 16" i9 2.4Ghz 32GB / 1TB
- MacBook Pro 15" i7 2.9Ghz 16GB / 512GB
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB
- G4 Cube 500Mhz / Shelf display unit / Museum display

striker100
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 25, 2005, 08:46 PM

Thats great but of course the problem is that this is totally up to the salesperson you get, for every salesperson that will do something like that there are many more that wouldn't. I assume it had to be approved by the store manager, I doubt just a salesperson could make that decision.
Don't get your hopes up folks, I doubt this will become a trend but excellent for you, enjoy your new 15" PB!

tictactoe  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 25, 2005, 09:10 PM

Thanks for the replies .

The guy I spoke too gave me the ok on it up front and that was that. I'm sure he went and ok'd it with the manager after the fact, but it was mostly his doing (I could tell he had some weight around there). What the other person said was right, not every salesperson will do this. I got very, very lucky .

My initial impressions of the Rev D 15" vs. Rev C 12" are:

- 15" Keyboard is larger and the keys are "softer" meaning they aren't as springy.

- The latch on the 15" is much nicer. On the 12", the latch would make a lot of noise and it was very clicky when it went in. Upon closing the 15" for the first time, I thought it had a broken latch because it made no noise!

- The speakers on the 15" have better high range sound.

- The extra screen real estate is just what I wanted.

- I prefer the side loading optical disc drive on the 12"

- The 15" is quite larger than the 12"

- The sleep light on the 15" is way brighter than the sleep light on the 12" (it was keeping me up for a while last night!).

- Backlit keyboard is very nice. I'm yet to use it for anything other than getting "oohs" and "ahhs" from friends and family, but I'm sure it will come in handy.

Overall, I'm very happy with my decision and the awesome customer service I received will bring me back for a Rev C/D G5 PB. Until then, this beautiful piece of machinery will do me just fine.

cdetdi
Feb 26, 2005, 05:00 PM

- The 15" is quite larger than the 12"

You'd think...
I'd rather be playing ultimate...

1.5G4 15" AlBook

///Milien
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 26, 2005, 05:17 PM

Congratulations! I was thinking about getting the 15er this time around, but stayed with the 12er. I was torn between the screen real estate vs. portability. I am glad to hear that the Apple store rep gave you that option. I almost toyed with the idea of trading mine back in a getting the 15er but will probably wait until whatever the next revision is going to be.
 Mac Pro 8-Core 2.26GHz Xeon | 12GB RAM | 2.5TB HDD | ATI Radeon HD 4870 | 24" LED Cinema Display
 Mac mini [Unibody] 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo | 8GB RAM | 500GB Seagate Momentus XT Hybrid HDD | 24" LED Cinema Display
 MacBook Air 1.6GHz Core 2 Duo | 4GB RAM | 256GB SDD
Too many accessories to list...

David Hagan
Forum Regular
Feb 26, 2005, 06:51 PM

Congrats Ticktactoe! The 15-inch PowerBook is the sweet spot. Although I must say that the 17-inch display is a jaw dropper. The 15-inch has a brighter backlight though.

Forum Links
Forum Rules