Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Win in small claims court against 17" MBP 8600M failure

Win in small claims court against 17" MBP 8600M failure
amazing
Professional Poster
Apr 21, 2012, 02:06 PM

This makes very interesting reading:

Seattle Rex vs. Apple: The Verdict Is In | Seattle Rex

"At one point, the judge asked Apple how much it would have cost them to have simply replaced my logic board when I had taken it in, and one of the Apple guys said “Oh, it wouldn’t have cost us anything, Nvidia foots the bill for each board we replace.”

"The judge’s face almost hit the floor as he shot me a quizzical look, to which I just shrugged. I knew that he, and everyone else in the courtroom was thinking the same thing:

"If Apple could have replaced my logic board at no cost to themselves, then why in the hell did they drag this out for so long, and why did they send two people to court to try and make sure that I got absolutely nothing? Friends, this is a question I have been asking myself for three months, and it is a question that I do not have the answer to.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Apr 22, 2012, 12:28 AM

Apple usually does the right thing by its customers. I don't know why it screwed up so badly in this case.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Apr 22, 2012, 07:22 AM

They denied me a repair on one of these units too. Some half-baked AASP found corrosion on the optical drive and even though it had actually failed the 8600M test and there was no corrosion on the board they steadfast refused to repair it.

I find it unlikely that someone from Apple admitted nVidia were paying the bills in court. I bet that guy got reprimanded and/or fired for that.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

abbaZaba
Mac Elite
Apr 22, 2012, 06:49 PM

this boggles minds

amazing  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 25, 2012, 01:57 PM

Apple has extended the warranty on the 8600M to 4 years from date of purchase.

If you've got an 8600M or if you documented a problem with an 8600M within those 4 years, here's a resource page that invaluable:

MacBook Pro (Nvidia 8600M) GPU/Video Failures and Apple Repair Reports

Forum Links
Forum Rules