Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 13" Intel iBook rumours redux

13" Intel iBook rumours redux (Page 4)
Eug Wanker  (op)
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Mar 9, 2006, 08:31 AM

Radeon 9550 in the iBook --> GMA 9550 in the MacBook would be a humungous step down.

"The new iBook G4 delivers gorgeous 3D images and stunning photorealistic effects — just what you need to enjoy the latest generation of Mac games.

That’s because Apple engineers equipped the new iBook G4 with a powerful, professional-level graphics processor. Using an ATI Radeon 9550 graphics processor with 32 megabytes of dedicated DDR SDRAM and AGP 4X, the iBook G4 delivers blistering 2D, 3D and multimedia graphics performance for today’s most demanding games and applications.

The Radeon 9550 features an advanced architecture that delivers blazingly fast performance — over 800 million textured pixels per second. That means you get the most out of fast-action games on the iBook G4. What’s more, the Radeon 9550 renders incredibly realistic graphics, thanks to support from the latest advances in programmability. (Watch in awe how realistically it renders such elements as metals, liquids and wood.) So not only does it deliver a tremendous speed boost, it gives you spectacular 3D images and even more photorealistic effects."

And I would be disappointed if in 2006 there were no 128 MB GPU option in the 13" MacBook Pro.

Blizzake
Forum Regular
Mar 9, 2006, 04:47 PM

so when does everyone think the new ibook will be realeased? i was hopeing for them to come out last week but apple gave us mini's instead.

ideas?

Voch
Mac Elite
Mar 9, 2006, 05:46 PM

Some folks are shooting for around the 30th anniversary of Apple on April 1st, but it's a little before the iBooks have been bumped in the past (April 19 2004, April 22 2003, May 20 2002, and May 1 2001) if that has any bearing. But maybe by the end of the month they'll have the MBP "shortage" cleared up so those who want MBPs can get 'em in a matter of days and THEN Apple can start the rush for the iBook replacements.

You know, I wonder if Apple is going to wait to release the iBook replacements until May because of the purported processor price cuts. But, then again, the article mentions that these cuts will be for the higher-end Core Duo processors, so maybe that's when the 13" and 17" MBPs will be released.

I'm fairly optimistic we'll be getting some solid rumors by the end of March. We'll see...

Voch

fesdds
Mar 13, 2006, 02:26 PM

I would love to have a 13 inch widescreen iBook replacement. I need at least 3 laptops for chairside use in my orthodontic practice. I currently am using my old 12 inch iBook & that extra screen would be very beneficial.

wilsonng
Senior User
Mar 15, 2006, 01:50 AM

Personally I would love to have the 13" iBook be capable of monitor spanning. It's nice to have the 13" screen but the ability to do dual monitor support made me choose the PB 12" over the iBook 12". On the road, 13" is adequate but if I am at the office or the house, I'd like to connect to an external monitor and have the laptop's display for my tool palettes while I use the external monitor as the main screen.

If it had an ExpressCard 34, it would be a great bonus.

I'm not holding out much hope for a backlit keyboard though.

Eug Wanker  (op)
Posting Junkie
Mar 15, 2006, 02:06 AM

I use my 12" iBook all the time for monitor spanning, but it required running the (totally safe) spanning hack.

Considering they've activated that feature in the Intel iMac now, one can only hope they'll do the same with the 13" MacBook non-Pro.

wilsonng
Senior User
Mar 16, 2006, 04:07 AM

yeah, I heard about the iBook spanning hack but I'm too chicken $#!t to try it. It was very frustrating to see Apple disable this by default on the iBook and yet enable it for the PB.

So far, I haven't seen any rumors that talks about ExpressCard 34 or monitor spanning available for the much-rumored 13.3" MacBook. Still crossing my fingers.....

Voch
Mac Elite
Mar 16, 2006, 09:21 AM

I had another hope: how's about the ability to just disable the built-in display and fully drive a DVD-D external display? I'd settle for that. I'm trying this on my company's Dell 2001FP 1600x1200 and my TiBook can drive it...

Voch

wilsonng
Senior User
Mar 16, 2006, 09:09 PM

The MBPs can't output to an external display with the lid closed like the TiBooks and AlBooks???? Has anyone tried this out?

Voch
Mac Elite
Mar 16, 2006, 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by wilsonng
The MBPs can't output to an external display with the lid closed like the TiBooks and AlBooks???? Has anyone tried this out?
I was implying that the iBooks currently cannot (at least without a hack, and opinions conflict on whether they should be used closed) and that I hope the non-Pro MacBooks can. Sorry.

wilsonng
Senior User
Mar 17, 2006, 04:45 PM

*whew* thanks for uncrossing my signals. Apple has been known to disappoint us by leaving out features and leaves the consumers scratching their heads...

Making the iPods sync only via USB now?

Making the last round of the G4 iBooks just as powerful than the last 12" PB but with less sticker shock?

The 12" PB and 12" iBook used the same graphics card but disabled dual monitor support on the 12"iBook?

Heck, I even remember having less-than-adequate memory come as a standard package thus demanding most users to always order extra RAM. My old 867Mhz PB 12" came with 128MBs of RAM soldered on. I had to get the extra 1GB just to make it adequate.

I'm just hoping that Apple finally comes to its senses and make the new MacBook more capable.

Voch, I like the last line of your tag for the Wanted section. Count me in as wanting one that 13.3" MacBook.

Steve
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 19, 2006, 03:39 AM

Just sold my 1.33 iBook on eBay in anticipation of the new MacBook. Hopefully we won't all be disappointed when April 1st(ish) comes around.

You remind me my wife… why you laugh? She dead. | sasper at gmail dot com

galarneau
Senior User
Mar 19, 2006, 10:58 AM

how much didja get?

Eug Wanker  (op)
Posting Junkie
Mar 19, 2006, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by Steve
Just sold my 1.33 iBook on eBay in anticipation of the new MacBook. Hopefully we won't all be disappointed when April 1st(ish) comes around.
Hmmm... Brave. I sold my iPod several weeks before Macworld January 2005... and Apple didn't release the 6 GB iPod mini I wanted until the end of February...

I'll not 100% sure I'll upgrade even if a new MacBook comes out though. If it gets integrated graphics, then that's a severe downgrade for me. Apple is guaranteed not to allow Aperture run on Intel integrated graphics, but it already runs on the Radeon 9550 in the iBook.

Furthermore, I may wait to see if there is a 13" MacBook Pro for the fall, with DVI, HDCP, and Blu-ray.

mgl
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 19, 2006, 11:49 AM

So you sold your iBook now. Say the new ones are announced April 1. Then they start shipping for real around May 15. You can go without your laptop for 2 months?

I never sell my old one until my new one is configured and working perfectly.

jamil5454
Mac Elite
Mar 19, 2006, 12:35 PM

With all the rumors of a 13" iBook in development, Apple's probably ramping up production right now. I'm thinking we'll see an announcement and then availability not more than a few days apart, like the iMac and Mac Mini.

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Mar 19, 2006, 01:24 PM

Yeah, it seems like the shipping delays are more common when a product is announced at an event that's on a recurring schedule, like MWSF. They had to have something big for that, so they announce, say, the MBP even if it's not entirely ready to go. But when they hold a special event or make a quiet announcement, they don't bother scheduling it until they know availability will be good.

Anyway, I have a laptop but I could go without one for 2 months, since I don't take mine out much and I have a desktop as well. I'm not gonna sell it 'cause the resale value is shot and my GF uses it, but I don't think Steve's situation is entirely ridiculous.

im_noahselby
Senior User
Mar 19, 2006, 03:17 PM

My predictions are as follows:

MacBook - Core Solo 1.5GHz - $999
• 512MB Ram
• 13"
• ComboDrive
• 60 GB HD
• Intel Graphics, 64MB shared
• APX & BT 2.0 built in
• 2 USB2, 1 FW400
• iSight
• Remote & FrontRow

MacBook - Core Duo 1.66GHz - $1299
• 512MB Ram
• 13"
• SuperDrive
• 80 GB HD
• Intel Graphics, 64MB shared
• APX & BT 2.0 built in
• 2 USB2, 1 FW400
• iSight
• Remote & FrontRow

MacBook Pro - Core Duo 1.83GHz - $1599
• 512MB Ram (single SO-DIMM)
• 13"
• SuperDrive
• 80 GB HD
• ATI Graphics, 128MB
• APX & BT 2.0 built in
• 2 USB2, 1 FW400
• iSight
• Remote & FrontRow
• DVI spanning, etc...

It seems as if the trend nowadays in budget laptops is toward shared graphics, so I fully expect to see this in the new MacBooks. I'm sure Apple will reserve a better graphics card for their 13" MacBook Pro - which will give consumers a very good reason to spend the extra money, if they really want this feature. For most users, however, I'm sure it wont take very long to get over the shock of not having a "real" graphics card.

Noah
Macbook 2.0 Ghz - Black
iPhone 4GB - Fido

Voch
Mac Elite
Mar 19, 2006, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by im_noahselby
MacBook - Core Duo 1.66GHz - $1299
Mine! Here's hoping for some nicities like SATA HD instead of IDE, Gigabit ethernet and two RAM sockets. Even without those I think it's time to upgrade my portable anyway...

Voch

Dr Reducto
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 19, 2006, 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by Voch
Mine! Here's hoping for some nicities like SATA HD instead of IDE, Gigabit ethernet and two RAM sockets. Even without those I think it's time to upgrade my portable anyway...

Voch

Since it will likely be an Intel chipset, those are fairly likely.

Steve
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 20, 2006, 12:01 AM

Originally Posted by galarneau
how much didja get?
Way too much. eBay was kind to me once again. I actually made more off of it than I originally spent buying it new (including taxes and everything). Yay eBay!

My iBook was a "secondary" computer, as I have a PC desktop in my dorm room that I use for lots of class projects and what not. I can easily go for 2 months before I get another laptop. It may not be the most convienant thing, but I wanted to sell it before the Intel books came out.
( Last edited by Steve; Mar 20, 2006 at 12:08 AM. )

You remind me my wife… why you laugh? She dead. | sasper at gmail dot com

mduell
Posting Junkie
Mar 21, 2006, 03:16 AM

Originally Posted by Eug Wanker
Apple is guaranteed not to allow Aperture run on Intel integrated graphics, but it already runs on the Radeon 9550 in the iBook.
What? Intel Integrated Graphics (toss an Extreme somewhere in there) fully supports Tiger Core Graphics.

Eug Wanker  (op)
Posting Junkie
Mar 22, 2006, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by mduell
What? Intel Integrated Graphics (toss an Extreme somewhere in there) fully supports Tiger Core Graphics.
So does the GeForce 5200 series (which is faster than Intel GMA 950) in the PowerBook and iMac, and Apple does not allow installation of Aperture on any machine with that GPU.
( Last edited by Eug Wanker; Mar 22, 2006 at 12:40 PM. )

Simon
Posting Junkie
Mar 23, 2006, 01:22 PM

Here's my updated guess taken from the original thread on AppleTalker Forum:

MacBook 12"
• Core Solo 1.5GHz, 2 SO-DIMM slots
• 12" 1024x768
• Combo (SD as BTO)
• 60/80/100 GB SATA HD (5400rpm)
• Intel Graphics, 64MB shared, DVI out
• APX & BT 2.0 built in
• 2 USB2, 1 FW400
• iSight
• Remote & FrontRow
starting at $1099

MacBook 13.3"
• Core Duo 1.67GHz, 2 SO-DIMM slots
• 13.3" widescreen
• SuperDrive
• 80/100/120 GB SATA HD (5400rpm)
• Intel Graphics, 64MB shared, DVI out
• APX & BT 2.0 built in
• 2 USB2, 1 FW400
• iSight
• Remote & FrontRow
starting at $1399

MacBook Pro 13.3"
• Core Duo 1.83GHz, 2 SO-DIMM slots
• 13.3" widescreen
• SuperDrive
• 80/100/120 GB SATA HD (5400rpm)
• ATI X1300, 64MB, DVI out
• APX & BT 2.0 built in
• 2 USB2, 1 FW400
• ExpressCard/34 (I doubt it'll fit, but I'll be optimistic)
• iSight
• Remote & FrontRow
starting at $1699

MacBook Pro 17"
• Core Duo 2.16GHz, 2 SO-DIMM slots
• 17" widescreen
• SuperDrive
• 100GB SATA HD (7200rpm) /120 GB SATA HD (5400rpm)
• ATI X1600, 256MB, DVI out
• APX & BT 2.0 built in
• 2 USB2, 1 FW400
• ExpressCard/34
• iSight
• Remote & FrontRow
starting at $2999

Voch
Mac Elite
Mar 23, 2006, 02:44 PM

Looks good to me Simon! That $1399 jobby will be mine, especially if it has DVI out.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Mar 23, 2006, 03:21 PM

Looks good to me Simon! That $1399 jobby will be mine, especially if it has DVI out.
I consider DVI out a must. Hey, it's 2006 and this is Apple, not Dell. After all, even the $599 mini has DVI out.

Voch
Mac Elite
Mar 23, 2006, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by Simon
I consider DVI out a must. Hey, it's 2006 and this is Apple, not Dell. After all, even the $599 mini has DVI out.
That's my hope too. Thanks to work I have a gorgeous DVI LCD display that I plan to use with my new MacBook when I need the extra pixels or need to do a demo. I use my TiBook with it occasionaly and it looks great. I don't even want to drive two displays at once really...just driving the the external one when it's connected would be fine for me.

I'm just nervous about what Apple plans to skimp on the non-Pro portable to discern it from the MBP. Hopefully it's just the plastic case and integrated video and not DVI, gibabit ethernet, and RAM slots. Or is that too much to ask?

Voch

Simon
Posting Junkie
Mar 23, 2006, 04:36 PM

I'm just nervous about what Apple plans to skimp on the non-Pro portable to discern it from the MBP. Hopefully it's just the plastic case and integrated video and not DVI, gibabit ethernet
Unlikely. Even the mini has it now. IIRC it's just part of the Intel chipset and therefore it'll be in there anyway.

and RAM slots
Of course that might be the case. It does make sense to have two slots and install memory in pairs (think DMA), but space concerns might weigh in. OTOH the mini is ultra compact and yet it has two SO DIMM slots.

I'm pretty confident people will be happy with the new MacBook (Pro). Looking at the specs of the iMac and the mini, there's not really much Apple could do wrong.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Mar 26, 2006, 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by Eug Wanker
So does the GeForce 5200 series (which is faster than Intel GMA 950) in the PowerBook and iMac, and Apple does not allow installation of Aperture on any machine with that GPU.
Does Apple specifically cite the GPU as the reason you can't install Aperature on those Macs?

Eug Wanker  (op)
Posting Junkie
Mar 26, 2006, 11:48 PM

Does Apple specifically cite the GPU as the reason you can't install Aperature on those Macs?
Yes.

Supported GPUs:

ATI Radeon x600 Pro or x600 XT
ATI Radeon X800 XT Mac Edition
ATI Radeon X850 XT
ATI Radeon 9800 XT or 9800 Pro
ATI Radeon 9700 Pro
ATI Radeon 9600, 9600 XT, 9600 Pro, or 9650
ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 or 9600
NVIDIA GeForce 6600 LE or 6600
NVIDIA GeForce 6800 Ultra DDL or 6800 GT DDL
NVIDIA GeForce 7800 GT
NVIDIA Quadro FX 4500

Note the conspicuous absence of the GeForce 5200 series. And indeed, Aperture refuses to install on PowerBooks and G5 iMacs with this GPU. I'm just lucky the Radeon 9550 is supported, probably because it's essentially just a downclocked 9600.

To put it another way, because of the GPU, Aperture will install on my iBook (at least for now), but will not on some G5 iMacs. I'm sooo glad I waited for the 2nd iteration of the G5 iMacs with the Radeon 9600.
( Last edited by Eug Wanker; Mar 26, 2006 at 11:57 PM. )

wilsonng
Senior User
Mar 26, 2006, 11:53 PM

Sorry, I got lost here. Are you saying that the Intel chipset automatically has gigabit ethernet, integrated video, and DVI?

Originally Posted by Simon
Unlikely. Even the mini has it now. IIRC it's just part of the Intel chipset and therefore it'll be in there anyway.

Of course that might be the case. It does make sense to have two slots and install memory in pairs (think DMA), but space concerns might weigh in. OTOH the mini is ultra compact and yet it has two SO DIMM slots.

I'm pretty confident people will be happy with the new MacBook (Pro). Looking at the specs of the iMac and the mini, there's not really much Apple could do wrong.
I'm just nervous about what Apple plans to skimp on the non-Pro portable to discern it from the MBP. Hopefully it's just the plastic case and integrated video and not DVI, gibabit ethernet, and RAM slots. Or is that too much to ask?

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
Mar 27, 2006, 01:50 AM

Sorry, I got lost here. Are you saying that the Intel chipset automatically has gigabit ethernet, integrated video, and DVI?
Well, minus the integrated graphics, all the Intel chipsets we have seen in Macs have gigabit E, and 2 RAM slots. All the Mactels so far are BASICALLY, give or take, based on the same machine, just in different form factors, and with faster/slower components, ie Processor, HD, and graphics. The RAM speed and size has been the same in all the released Mactels.
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

Simon
Posting Junkie
Mar 27, 2006, 03:13 AM

No, sorry, my wording was unclear.

What I meant to say was that Gigabit Ethernet was IIRC part of the Intel chipset so it should be in there anyway. (Let's just hope doesn't consider disabling it in firmware or something like they used to with spanning on the iBooks GPU. )

DVI and twin DIMM slots is less clear. It's just that since the mini has em and it's not only the cheapest Mac, but also very compact, you could guess the MB will have em too. But that's just guessing (and hoping).

hookem2oo7
Senior User
Mar 27, 2006, 11:05 AM

they could have a similar design to the pc laptops where one sodimm slot is under the keyboard and the other is accessable via a panel on the bottom...I'm definitely buying the macbook whenever it is released...i hope the predicitons for an available core duo in the MB non-pro are right

im_noahselby
Senior User
Mar 29, 2006, 12:14 PM

Is there anyone here who thinks Apple wont update their iBook lineup in the next few days?

Noah
Macbook 2.0 Ghz - Black
iPhone 4GB - Fido

x user
Mac Elite
Mar 29, 2006, 12:22 PM

No, ne day now.... but what will the update be is the matter of contention. Though after transistion my parents iMac G5 to an Intel, I'm less than excited about the update...

wilsonng
Senior User
Mar 30, 2006, 06:32 PM

Aaarghh!!!!! macosXrumors.com released another rumor today just to tease us with the following information:

http://www.macosxrumors.com/articles...ro-on-the-way/

Since the release of the 15 inch MacBook Pro in January, speculation on the forthcoming Apple laptops is spreading throughout the net. Meanwhile, MacosXrumors has received a very unexpected report, providing information about one of the forthcoming MacBook Pros.

The sources that can be qualified as “very reliable” (yes you read it well), are claiming that Apple plans to keep the same display size for its entry level Mac Book Pro by releasing what sources called an “ultra-thin 12 inch Mac Book Pro”.

Neither release timeframe nor technical specifications were provided by the sources but we may expect this new Mac Book Pro to arrive late in the second quarter of this year. As for the technical specs, we prefer not to speculate on them so as to keep this report as factual as possible.

The current 12 inch Powerbook G4 is 1.18 inch thick while the PowerBook G4 17 inch and the Mac Book Pro are 1 inch thick. We can expect the 12 inch Mac Book Pro to get at least as thin as the rest of the line-up and possibly even thinner.

The sources also believe that the rumoured 13 inch form factor could rather be used for Apple’s entry-level laptops (iBooks or Mac Book).
I wonder how Apple could fit anything inside the 12" form factor when the 12" PB was tight enough to demand taking out the PC Card slot? Maybe the intel form factor will allow more room for Apple to include the ExpressCard 34 slot?

However, I'm still leaning towards the 13.3" form factor for its increased resolution.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Mar 30, 2006, 07:04 PM

I wonder how Apple could fit anything inside the 12" form factor when the 12" PB was tight enough to demand taking out the PC Card slot? Maybe the intel form factor will allow more room for Apple to include the ExpressCard 34 slot?

However, I'm still leaning towards the 13.3" form factor for its increased resolution.
Dump the optical drive, like much of the rest of the industry has done, and 0.9" and 3.5lb becomes very easy.

There are much higher resolution 12" screens available; Apple chooses not to use them, just as they choose not to use HD screens in the 15/17" laptops.

wilsonng
Senior User
Mar 30, 2006, 09:42 PM

ahh yes....... The 12" would satisfy the sub-notebook users like the Japanese.

Meanwhile the 13.3" form factor would satisfy the rest of us who want an all-in-one solution. I hope there will be a 13.3" MBP that has the features of the 15".

Dailyplanet
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 30, 2006, 10:42 PM

I don't see the need for Front Row and a Remote for the 12" and 13" models . . .

Cory Bauer
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 31, 2006, 12:35 AM

Originally Posted by Dailyplanet
I don't see the need for Front Row and a Remote for the 12" and 13" models . . .
Imagine using the Mini-DVI port to connect it to your HDTV, leaving the MacBook closed, and the remote makes a lot of sense.
-Cory Bauer
[email protected]
http://www.sboobtv.com

rambo47
Mac Elite
Mar 31, 2006, 12:24 PM

I'd like to see a return to removable optical drives ala the Wall Street/Lombard/Pismo system. Room for a second battery if the user so chooses, perfect for the traveler. Don't want to bring your optical drive? Then don't. Use a plastic insert to fill the empty space and save weight. Or carry the optical drive in your laptop case and use two batteries, perfect for traveling from the east coast to Hawaii, or maybe Europe. It just gives you lots of configuration options and you're never locked into just one. Flexibility is what it's all about. Your computing needs can change and you don't need to replace your MacBook, just reconfigure it!

rambo47
Mac Elite
Mar 31, 2006, 12:29 PM

There are much higher resolution 12" screens available; Apple chooses not to use them, just as they choose not to use HD screens in the 15/17" laptops.
This has always stuck in my craw. I look at the laptop screens Sony is using and my jaw practically hits the floor. My dad just got an HP laptop (I tried to get him to go Mac, almost had him, and then he fell back into his comfort zone - Windows. ) and the screen on that is freakin' gorgeous. Yeah, my PowerBook screen is fine, but those other companies are using something way nicer. With Apple's emphasis on desing and appearance one would think the screen (your window into the whole computing experience, pardon the use of the 'W" word) would be a high priority.

wilsonng
Senior User
Mar 31, 2006, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by rambo47
I'd like to see a return to removable optical drives ala the Wall Street/Lombard/Pismo system. Room for a second battery if the user so chooses, perfect for the traveler. Don't want to bring your optical drive? Then don't. Use a plastic insert to fill the empty space and save weight. Or carry the optical drive in your laptop case and use two batteries, perfect for traveling from the east coast to Hawaii, or maybe Europe. It just gives you lots of configuration options and you're never locked into just one. Flexibility is what it's all about. Your computing needs can change and you don't need to replace your MacBook, just reconfigure it!
I miss my Lombard (rest in peace 2004). However I don't think His Steve-ness would allow this because the MBPs would become thicker than the 1 inch profile he prefers. If he didn't demand a 1 inch profile, we would've had dual layer DVD-R drives in the 15" MBP.

When the TiBooks came out without the removable drive bays, it was a day of mourning.

I loved swapping out my optical drive for a ZIP drive, an extra hard drive, or a battery. It made life so much easier. But I don't think it'll be coming back to an Apple laptop anytime soon unless they can get some thin-profiled internal bay devices.
( Last edited by wilsonng; Apr 1, 2006 at 02:04 AM. )

rambo47
Mac Elite
Apr 1, 2006, 01:10 PM

I hear ya! I missed my Wall Street so much I recently bought a Pismo to replace it. I have several PowerBook G4's around the house, but for sentimental reasons I needed the old Wall Street form factor. My Pismo (500 MHz, 1 GB RAM) dual-boots Mac OS X 10.4.2 and YellowDog Linux 3.0.

mgl
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 1, 2006, 03:36 PM

Wishing for removable drives in the iBook replacement is not logical. This is feature of interest primarily to business users. If Apple had any interest in this feature, it would be in the MBP, not in the iBook replacement.

Yes, those Sony screens look great. But they're best for watching DVDs and playing games. They're not ideal for productivity applications. Unless you spend most of your time watching DVDs or playing games, you're better off with a quality LCD. Unfortunately, the LCD in the iBook is not a high quality one.

profetes
Apr 2, 2006, 01:43 AM

I think it would be really awsome if they would put intel core duo in ibooks. Also an isight camera would really make the ibook efficient. Not saying that its not already!

im_noahselby
Senior User
Apr 2, 2006, 06:20 AM

I think I'm the only one in this forum who thinks its likely integrated iSights will be in the new MacBooks. Judging by all the fuss Apple makes about iChat/iSight at their expo keynotes, (they obviously think it's pretty special) I bet they can't wait to get the gadget into the hands of consumers. It's not a feature I see them reserving only for MacBook Pro users, as an iSight, the way I see it, has univeral appeal.

Noah
Macbook 2.0 Ghz - Black
iPhone 4GB - Fido

mgl
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 2, 2006, 09:41 AM

Agreed on the iSight being in the new MacBooks. I think it's a cheap part to include and is a differentiator. I think it's more likely we'll get an iSight than non-Intel graphics.

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Apr 2, 2006, 08:18 PM

Well, this makes at least 3 of us: I would also be very surprised if they left the iSight out of the MacBook [not-Pro]. Unless maybe they have one "super-entry-level" model or an ultralight, neither of which I think are very likely.

Forum Links
Forum Rules