Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Clamshell Question

Clamshell Question
awesome73
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 28, 2006, 02:34 PM

Hi everyone. I have a 300MHz Clamshell iBook that I recently got a new 20GB internal hard drive for. I successfully installed this hard drive after removing the old 3GB one. My problem started when I attempted to format this drive for the first time and install OS 10.3 (Panther). I partitioned the disk (one partition) and formatted, but when I installed the OS, I got through Base System Part 1 okay only to have the installation quit with the error message "Errors were encountered. Please try again."

I know the hardware doesn't have any problems, as the disk is brand new, I've done the procedure before on another Clamshell with no problems, and everything was peachy keen on that iBook (as the OS was already installed on the disk). Could anyone please 1) tell me what I'm doing wrong, 2) walk me through the correct procedure, and/or 3) point me to external links where this procedure is described?

Again, I just need to format the disk and install OS 10.3 so I can use my tricked-out Clamshell. Thank you in advance very, very much!!!!!
( Last edited by awesome73; Jun 28, 2006 at 02:48 PM. )

HowEver
Jun 29, 2006, 07:55 PM

Hard drives fail, some after 10 years, some after 10 days.

I realize it's a PITA but it might be better to take out the hard drive and try to install OSX on it while it's in another machine or better yet an external FireWire enclosure.

teknopimp
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 30, 2006, 02:28 PM

'tricked-out', heh...

anyhoo, was Panther already on the old hard drive? if not then which os?

MacBook 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | Clamshell iBook G3 366MHz | 22" Cinema Display | iPod Mini | iPod shuffle | AirPort Express | Mighty Mouse

bund
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 4, 2006, 12:15 PM

1. Clean the cd drive with a lens cleaner cd.
2. Installing options for osX10.3: add the x11 system (I had problems installing panther on my 300MHZ clamshell too, choosing the optional x11 package during the installation procedure helped, I don't know why)

Forum Links
Forum Rules