Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Idiot takes my car for a joyride.

Idiot takes my car for a joyride.
imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Apr 8, 2008, 08:41 PM

Since I broke my toe, and my schools parking lot is almost a quarter mile away from the school, I've been having a friend drive me up to school in the morning and then bring my car up for me in the afternoon. Today my "friend" decided he'd take my car for an understeering, tire screeching joyride through the parking lot. My front tire's sidewalls (that have about 2k miles on them) are shredded and the rear tires ride like squares since I think he decided to pull the parking brake. And of course, someone who knew that it was my car reported it to the office and I get torn down in front of the whole office. After a hasty tirade by the superintendent, I told him that I didn't do it, that my friend does. He's now suspended for two days. This really pisses me off big time. I want new tires from him and an apology, and I have yet to get both. The worst part is that he and I were pretty good friends and everything, then he just does this.

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 8, 2008, 08:48 PM

Yep, that's high school.

The things I did to my mother's car back then.

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Apr 8, 2008, 08:48 PM

Lets see, teenager + car that he doesn't own * empty parking lot = trouble.

I feel for ya, but I think the odds off seeing new tires and an apology are between slim and none and slim left town

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Apr 8, 2008, 09:18 PM

My parents let me drive this car:

in high school, and couldn't for the life of them figure out why tires needed to be replaced about 20,000 miles early. Also they were aghast when they found out that I'd been...of all things...RACING!

MM-o4
Senior User
Apr 8, 2008, 09:59 PM

weak

but what are friends for

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 8, 2008, 10:04 PM

don't you drive a grand cherokee?

torsoboy
Mac Elite
Apr 8, 2008, 10:07 PM

I hope this doesn't damage your friendship... take it as a lesson that you shouldn't let him drive your car, and that's all. I'm sure he didn't know it was ruining the tires, so it's not like was being a punk purposefully. You're both teenagers that have (probably) only had a license a year or two, it takes some people a bit to figure out what is, and what isn't, okay to do in a car.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 8, 2008, 10:09 PM

you break a toe and you can't drive yourself?? man up

Cold Warrior
Apr 8, 2008, 10:11 PM

Tape your toe to another one and push through the minor discomfort. I broke one years ago. It sucked, but I could limp around just fine. Driving should be no problem.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 8, 2008, 10:13 PM

^ what he said

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 8, 2008, 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
Tape your toe to another one and push through the minor discomfort. I broke one years ago. It sucked, but I could limp around just fine. Driving should be no problem.
the reason that driving barefoot is illegal is because if there's something the brake pedal to cause pain, you will pull back and not stop in time. similar story here. i think he's wiser than we're giving him credit for for not driving.

torsoboy
Mac Elite
Apr 8, 2008, 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by d4nth3m4n View Post
the reason that driving barefoot is illegal is because if there's something the brake pedal to cause pain, you will pull back and not stop in time. similar story here. i think he's wiser than we're giving him credit for for not driving.
It's not illegal to drive barefoot. Is it illegal to drive barefoot?

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 8, 2008, 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by torsoboy View Post
It's not illegal to drive barefoot. Is it illegal to drive barefoot?
well, it took until 10:27pm for me to learn something new today.

Cold Warrior
Apr 8, 2008, 10:31 PM

Who says barefoot? Just take an old shoe, cut out a part of the toe section, or wear sandals.

imitchellg5  (op)
Posting Junkie
Apr 8, 2008, 10:42 PM

Eh, no. A 1999 Accord EX-V6.

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 8, 2008, 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
Who says barefoot? Just take an old shoe, cut out a part of the toe section, or wear sandals.
yeah, but it still hurts to put pressure on it, i'm pretty impressed with the OP for not driving.

...this coming from someone who broke his right arm and still drove stick reaching across himself to shift while he steered with his knees.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Apr 8, 2008, 10:48 PM

That's Doofy.

Originally Posted by brassplayersrock² View Post
you break a toe and you can't drive yourself?? man up
He can drive. He can't walk the quarter mile to his school's parking lot. But you couldn't be expected to let something unimportant like reading the thread get in your way.

FWIW, I broke my ankle my senior year of high school and crutched at least a quarter mile to school. I didn't have a license at the time, due to aforementioned speeding in aforepictured car.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Apr 8, 2008, 10:49 PM

Also, if I can help it, I drive barefoot. I hate driving with shoes on, and especially the steel-toed boots i have to wear to work.

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 8, 2008, 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
That's Doofy.
or was it macfantn when he was first 16 a couple of years back? i confuse these grommets.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 8, 2008, 10:53 PM

you broke an ankle. he broke a toe. i guess that could be considered kinda similar by some.

KeriVit
Professional Poster
Apr 8, 2008, 11:24 PM

Try not to ruin your friendship, but yes, he should be held somewhat responsible.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Apr 8, 2008, 11:37 PM

That suxx. With friends like this, who needs enemies...

-t

legacyb4
Mac Elite
Apr 9, 2008, 01:49 AM

Hello? If he doesn't take responsibility, I'd sooner be not friends than friends with an a-hole like that...
Macbook (Black) C2D/250GB/3GB | G5/1.6 250GBx2/2.0GB
Free Mobile Ringtone & Games Uploader | Flickr | Twitter

subego
Clinically Insane
Apr 9, 2008, 02:29 AM

well, it took until 10:27pm for me to learn something new today.

And then, looking at the entry for barefoot driving, I find out the whole Interstates as emergency landing strips isn't true.

I always bring it up over and over again to my SO on long trips.

She is going to make me pay.

As well she should.

alligator
Mac Elite
Apr 9, 2008, 08:39 AM

There's only one thing to do: break his toe.

MarkLT1
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 9, 2008, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by torsoboy View Post
I hope this doesn't damage your friendship... take it as a lesson that you shouldn't let him drive your car, and that's all. I'm sure he didn't know it was ruining the tires, so it's not like was being a punk purposefully. You're both teenagers that have (probably) only had a license a year or two, it takes some people a bit to figure out what is, and what isn't, okay to do in a car.
Eff that. With friends like that, you don't need enemies. I don't care if you're 16 or 50, if you trash a friend's property, through some irresponsible act, and don't immediately man up, apologize, pay for the fixes, etc.. then you ARE a punk and aren't much of a friend to begin with.

And I also don't buy for a second that young drivers don't know what is and is not OK to do in a car. They know, they just have a "well I'm a good enough driver that I wont get hurt"/invincible/lack of responsibility type attitude. The "well they dont know any better" coddling stuff is BS. You screw up, you pay the piper. Just my NSHO.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 9, 2008, 09:33 AM

Hello you fool, I love you
C’mon join the joyriiiiiiiide
Be a joyrider

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 9, 2008, 09:42 AM

i am very smart and know who sang that

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 9, 2008, 10:41 AM

if someone is driving MY car, all of a sudden, I'm THEIR DAD. Seriously. Dog my car out and see what happens bud!

I think I'd have given this kid a smack in the area of his face, I don't care what the state of friendship is, or how uncool you are(would he have done it if you were captain of the football team?). Just sayin'.

Yes we all dogged out our parents cars/our OWN cars when we were 16-18, but I never ragged on my friends cars. Unless they told me to!

You want an apology? Next time you see him, grab his shirt with two fists, and wrench him towards you. Get real close and tell him you two are going tire shopping.
ice

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Apr 9, 2008, 11:17 AM

I drive a DODGE STRATUS

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Apr 9, 2008, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
I drive a DODGE STRATUS
I'm sorry to hear that

-t

KeriVit
Professional Poster
Apr 9, 2008, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by IceEnclosure View Post
if someone is driving MY car, all of a sudden, I'm THEIR DAD. Seriously. Dog my car out and see what happens bud!

I think I'd have given this kid a smack in the area of his face, I don't care what the state of friendship is, or how uncool you are(would he have done it if you were captain of the football team?). Just sayin'.

Yes we all dogged out our parents cars/our OWN cars when we were 16-18, but I never ragged on my friends cars. Unless they told me to!

You want an apology? Next time you see him, grab his shirt with two fists, and wrench him towards you. Get real close and tell him you two are going tire shopping.
Mr. Ice makes some very good points.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Apr 9, 2008, 12:51 PM

Kinda OT, but nevertheless...

My buddy Evan had a CJ-7 in HS. Only thing was that the tumbler was broken and you didn't need any sort of key to turn it and start the Jeep.

We never drove the tires off, but we hid it more than a dozen times.

finboy
Apr 9, 2008, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
The worst part is that he and I were pretty good friends and everything, then he just does this.
You live and learn. Hopefully your folks won't take the car away from you for letting someone else drive it.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Apr 9, 2008, 01:41 PM

In HS a friend of mine let my Hurricane (CBR600) fall over, while he was taking it out for a spin without my permission. We had a one-sided conversation (I yelled and he listened), while I was gripping the front of his shirt. He borrowed the money from his parents to have my bike repaired and painted, and eventually things went back to normal, but to this day he's much more respectful of my property.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

hookem2oo7
Senior User
Apr 9, 2008, 02:04 PM

Another HS story...

A friend of mine had some books or something in my car so I gave him the keys to go get it. He forgot to lock the doors, apparently, because I went outside to leave for the day and my car is smashed into another friend of mine's pickup truck. Someone went in my car and took it out of gear and let the e-brake off and it rolled into the truck. People do messed up things...

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 9, 2008, 02:20 PM

This is only mildly amusing (par for my stories), but while I was in high school my mother had a Diesel 5 cylinder VW Quantum. One rainy day when my car was in the shop (it seemed to prefer there to being in my direct possession), I was lent the Quantum as my mother would not be needing it for the day. "The nice thing about diesels, " I was informed, "Is that they don't have spark plugs and don't stall if they get wet from particularly wet conditions."

That is myth confirmed, my friends. A grabbed a few buddies who had nothing better to do that day and we located a mother of a puddle in a bank parking lot. I took three laps, each setting a new record time, burying that car in that puddle as deep and fast as I could. Jets of water were cast many, many feet into the air and it sounded as if I was scraping the bottom of a car with a craggly boulder, but I was not perturbed.

let's see if someone with more accurate knowledge of diesels finds it in their heart to ignore the actual story and correct the quote's information.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Apr 9, 2008, 03:40 PM

Semi-amusing car tale #2

My first whip was a 92 VW Jetta GL. it looked sweet but was a total POS.

Anyways, I caught my friend Jeff trying to pop-start it without the aid of having my keys. So basically he was pushing it to speed, and then dropping the clutch in gear. I was angrier at his stupidity, that clutch was at 10% the day I bought it. You could rev the car and completely drop the clutch in 1st gear and listen to it slip until the RPMs dropped down enough, but not to much because the car stalled at the drop of a hat.

Fun car to learn a 5-speed on...

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 9, 2008, 04:09 PM

Anyways, I caught my friend Jeff trying to pop-start it without the aid of having my keys. So basically he was pushing it to speed, and then dropping the clutch in gear. I was angrier at his stupidity, that clutch was at 10% the day I bought it. You could rev the car and completely drop the clutch in 1st gear and listen to it slip until the RPMs dropped down enough, but not to much because the car stalled at the drop of a hat.
And now in English, please?

sek929
Posting Junkie
Apr 9, 2008, 04:11 PM

I assume you're not familiar with manual transmissions?

If your battery is dead you can push the car to 5 MPH or so, turn the key, put the car in 1st gear and engage the clutch. The spinning engine will then start itself...but not without a key being present.

As for the latter part...my clutch was worn out badly from day-one, so if you over-revved the engine trying to peel out the tires the clutch would just slip like crazy.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 9, 2008, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
You can assume I’m not familiar with cars, full-stop.

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 9, 2008, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
He learned on a different kind of stick.

Edit: Damn, jacked

Nodnarb
Mac Elite
Apr 9, 2008, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
I drive a DODGE STRATUS
Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
I'm sorry to hear that

-t
Not sure, but I think he meant this.

[Edit: It's about 3:30 into the clip for those who don't feel like watching it all]

Professional Poster
Apr 9, 2008, 04:18 PM

I was gonna say.... nobody got that joke?

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 9, 2008, 04:20 PM

With turtle, I can never be sure if he's oblivious or being purposely obtuse.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 9, 2008, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by Dakar the Fourth View Post
He learned on a different kind of stick.

Edit: Damn, jacked

Double entendre fully intended, I trust?

(Wait, wasn’t this about cars?!?)

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 9, 2008, 04:52 PM

Fully intended, sir.

I tend to curb the gay jokes, but that was too good to pass up.

imitchellg5  (op)
Posting Junkie
Apr 9, 2008, 05:06 PM

Update: I got an apology to day after some nice words to him accompanied by various degrees of violence. No tires, which isn't surprising at all, but oh well I suppose.

Unrelated: My catalytic converter smells like rotten eggs.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 9, 2008, 05:14 PM

Update: I got an apology to day after some nice words to him accompanied by various degrees of violence. No tires, which isn't surprising at all, but oh well I suppose.
I would have settled for new tyres but no apology; but not this way around. The bastard ruined parts of your car with idiot behaviour that he did not have permission for. That’s monetary compensation, nothing short of it.

I wouldn’t worry too much about staying friends with people who’d do that and then only own up to it and apologise after you basically force him to. I’d press charges instead. Surely this counts as some sort of vandalism or malicious damage, even if you did voluntarily let him drive the car?

I tend to curb the gay jokes …
Shame, that. But probably for the best. This is supposedly a civilised forum, after all.

imitchellg5  (op)
Posting Junkie
Apr 9, 2008, 05:18 PM

Meh. New tires would be very nice, and yes he was being a jerk with my car. But if he's not going to pay (and I haven't talked to his parents or anything yet) I'm not going to force it. There isn't a point in going to court over a set of tires in my opinion.

Forum Links
Forum Rules