Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Duo Dock won't insert

Duo Dock won't insert
May 19, 2002, 06:44 PM

I just got a Duo Dock, and while the powerbook part works great by itself, I can't seem to get it into the dock. The lock part of it seems to be in the right position, but the two little things in the back of the dock won't move like the smaller floppy adapter does. Any ideas?

Thanks

Paco500
Professional Poster
May 19, 2002, 10:39 PM

Originally posted by 6116:
<STRONG>I just got a Duo Dock, and while the powerbook part works great by itself, I can't seem to get it into the dock. The lock part of it seems to be in the right position, but the two little things in the back of the dock won't move like the smaller floppy adapter does. Any ideas?

Thanks
6116</STRONG>
Can you make to motor go w/o inserting the PB? You would do this by pushing in on tabs the duo would. Years ago when these things were being produced and I was doing warranty repairs for Apple, I replaced A LOT of motors in these things- they went bad constantly. If you have one that is still working, it's much more remarkable than if you have one in which the motor is burned out.

Paco

jeromep
Dedicated MacNNer
May 19, 2002, 11:27 PM

This may be the stupidist suggestion I have ever made.

Assuming that the drive motors aren't burnt out, make sure that the interface door on the back of the computer is open. If it isn't it will not insert far enough to start the actuators and the motors.

6116  (op)
May 20, 2002, 12:43 AM

All right, I gave those tabs a push and the motor started. But the little things in the back still won't push up like the floppy adapter does (and I do have the door open on the back of the Duo). Any other ideas?

Paco500
Professional Poster
May 24, 2002, 12:14 PM

Originally posted by 6116:
<STRONG>All right, I gave those tabs a push and the motor started. But the little things in the back still won't push up like the floppy adapter does (and I do have the door open on the back of the Duo). Any other ideas?</STRONG>
I'm not totally clear on what you are talking about- it's been a LONG time since I worked w/ a duodock. can you possibly give more detail, or better yet- take a picture or two?

Paco

Forum Links
Forum Rules