Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > 10.3.6 8 minute finder boot!

10.3.6 8 minute finder boot!
kaz7777
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 24, 2004, 12:39 PM

I have Dual 2ghz G5 with 2.5gb of Crucial Ram. I am a graphics pro, so my machine is loaded w/ software and and few hundred fonts. If I am not mistaken, ever since I installed 10.3.6, my computer is taking about 8 minutes to boot the finder after I log in. It displays my desktop picture,and gives me the spinning beach ball, and then it takes about 8 minutes to load the dock, the finder, and my start up apps. It is very very annoying!! I have a friend who is experiencing the exact same issue on his 3 month old iBook. What gives? is there anything I can do? please help me be friends w/ my finder again. I apologize if this is a known issue, or if there is already a thread for this some place.

Best

kaz

cpac
Professional Poster
Nov 24, 2004, 12:44 PM

I'd suspect the fonts - is it faster if you un-install a bunch of them?
cpac

JKT
Professional Poster
Nov 24, 2004, 12:51 PM

With the 10.3.6 update, there have been issues with the fonts-cache files getting corrupted for some users which has led to longer than usual start up times. If you delete those caches does it solve the issue for you?

Download Font Finagler for a GUI way to do this.

kaz7777  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 24, 2004, 01:42 PM

Thanks JKT!! That seems to have done the trick. I'm back down to a 30 sec finder boot; but it sounds healthy as the HD is spinning the whole time and I know I have a ton of apps and fonts its loading. So i i'm good.

cpac, thanks for the suggestion as well.

cheers guys

kaz

QUOTE]Originally posted by JKT:
With the 10.3.6 update, there have been issues with the fonts-cache files getting corrupted for some users which has led to longer than usual start up times. If you delete those caches does it solve the issue for you?

Download Font Finagler for a GUI way to do this.
[/QUOTE]

nerd
Senior User
Nov 25, 2004, 02:48 AM

Wow! I had this happen about a week ago but it was after I hooked up a CAT 5 USB extender that didn't work. I thought my computer was toast but I then unplugged all the USB stuff except for keyboard and mouse and the computer booted back up fine. I'll check the fonts also and see if that was the cause.

Brad

Forum Links
Forum Rules