Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Question About PowerBooks???

Question About PowerBooks???
ae25
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 6, 2004, 12:21 AM

I am thinking about getting a 15" powerbook as an entertainment computer. I have a huge collection of DVD's that I want to put onto the hard drive, I want to use it for music, and I would like to record live TV onto it. I would also do some video editing. The questions I have are first, would it be powerfull enough for all this. I am a PC user looking for something new. Second, I know there are many products for PC to record tv such as the ATI all in wonder. Are there any of these available for mac? If so, how is the recording quality for them? I know the 80GB would only go so far, so I would definatly get an external hard drive. If you have anything else to add that may be helpful I would appreciate it. Thanks

nick_coday
Oct 6, 2004, 10:08 AM

For recording TV onto a Mac, look at Formac:
http://www.formac.com/p_bin/?cid=sol...ers_studiodvtv

I have not used it, so don't know about quality.
--------------------------------------
15.2" 1.25Ghz AlPBook
512MB RAM, SuperDrive

iPoder
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 6, 2004, 04:43 PM

Elgato's EyeTV product is usually what other users talk about recording TV to your Mac. Check out their website at http://www.elgato.com/.

The only thing that I am against using PB as a TV recording device is the constant heat generated from HD, not to mention that you need to use your PB near your TV cable or receiver. The heat will make the fan running more frequently and wear down the hardware faster.

You might need a faster HD, though the 4200 RPM stock drive might be fast enough to handle it. I don't know for sure because I don't have EyeTV either.

Furthermore, your normal application may run sluggish when TV show is recording.

If mobility is not an issue, iMac G5 might be a better bet for you.

shortyes
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 6, 2004, 08:10 PM

IS there any other way to watch TV on the PB? I know there are a few USB tv tuners out there but they do not have drivers for the mac.

Looking for sub 60?
Powerbook G4 15" 1.5Ghz
80GB 5400RPM
2x256 PC2700 Sodimm
ATI 9700 128mb video card
CD/DVD Computer Drive

Forum Links
Forum Rules