Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > DDR RAM in MacBook Pro Question

DDR RAM in MacBook Pro Question
Embermage
Forum Regular
Jan 14, 2006, 04:51 PM

Hey folks,

I'm in the market for a MacBook Pro, although I'm not sure when I'll be getting it exactly. I noticed that it has DDR RAM, however the default configuration at the Apple Store is 1 GB RAM as ONE stick, not two 512 sticks. On my Dell Inspiron, I've been very careful to get two identical 512 sticks because I was told that if I don't, then the dual data rate part of the RAM won't work properly so it won't be as fast...

Is this the same story on these MacBooks? Am I actually better off in "downgrading" the 1 GB stick of RAM to two 512 MB sticks?

Thanks!

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jan 14, 2006, 05:11 PM

Yes, the chipset in the MacBook Pro supports dual channel, so you will get better performance with two identical sticks.
Having 1GB in one stick makes upgrading easier.

wuzup101
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 16, 2006, 05:51 AM

Yeah, I'd say the little bit of a speed increase you might see in some benchmarks with dual channel isn't worth dropping to 2x512. I would stick with the 1gb stick and then add another 1gb stick at a later date (only about $100 last time I checked). This will give you 2gb in dual channel . It's been a while since I made a DC box... my current PC is quite outdated... was one of the first to use DC memory. I wouldn't be worried with matching the modules exactly (ie brand name and all). Just make sure you get the same speed and all and you should be fine.
Mac: 15" 1.5ghz PB w/ 128mb vid, 5400rpm 80gb, combo drive, 2gb ram
Peripherals: 20gb 4g iPod, Canon i950, Canon S230 "elph", Canon LIDE30, Logitech MX510, Logitech z5500, M-Audio Sonica Theater, Samsung 191T
PC: AMD "barton" XP @ 2.3ghz, 1gb pc3200, 9800pro 128mb, 120gb WD-SE 120gb
Xbox: 1.6, modded with X3 xecuter, slayers evoX 2.6, WDSE 120gb HDD

Daniel Bayer
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 16, 2006, 06:10 AM

I ordered mine with 2GB. I thought that PC 5300 was not yet availible, but it would seem that it is from Crucial. If this will work on my 1.83 GHZ, I will drop the $300 1 GB stick from my order.

http://www.crucial.com/store/MPartsp...&WSPN=CT492864

Any thoughts?
"I'll take a extra layer of ram on that
gigaflop sandwich mister"

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 16, 2006, 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by Daniel Bayer
I ordered mine with 2GB. I thought that PC 5300 was not yet availible, but it would seem that it is from Crucial. If this will work on my 1.83 GHZ, I will drop the $300 1 GB stick from my order.

http://www.crucial.com/store/MPartsp...&WSPN=CT492864

Any thoughts?
That is not in stock, and it's also listed as being for the 17" powerbook. Crucial has a page for the MacBook Pro's memory (and it's even cheaper) but it's not in stock either.

http://www.crucial.com/store/MPartsp...C-2D4S68503543

Forum Links
Forum Rules