Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Converting/Investigating a .DVR audio file from a Digital Voice Recorder??

Converting/Investigating a .DVR audio file from a Digital Voice Recorder??
vwgtiturbo
Forum Regular
Sep 3, 2009, 03:34 PM

Hello, I am in a bit of a pickle here... about 5 years ago, when I was using Windows, I bought a digital voice recorder that plugs into your phone and records the conversations, for a court case. I have long since gotten rid of the recorder and software, and have no idea what brand of recorder it was (to find the software). All I have is the actual audio files, that were recorded as '.dvr' files. After much Googling, I haven't definitively figured out what the file type is, much less a way to convert it. Of course, I would love a way to convert these files to something I can use, whether it's Mac or Win based. However, I am in a bind, and although a method of conversion would be AWESOME, I would really just love some info on what the file is, or how I can find out what it is. I've looked at some of them with a Hex Editor, and it's just complete jumbled garbage. Is there any tool that MAY be able to assist? Thanks in advance, as any help/insight would be GREATLY appreciated!
( Last edited by vwgtiturbo; Sep 3, 2009 at 03:48 PM. Reason: Typo)
Black 13" Widescreen MacBook
2.0Ghz C2D, 2GB RAM, 320GB HDD
Mac OS X v10.6 Snow Leopard

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Sep 3, 2009, 03:56 PM

Switch Plus Audio Converter Software Download Page

You can give this program a try. See if the demo will open it. Supports a wide variety of sound formats, might work with yours. Program is available for Windows, OS X, and Linux.

One possibility is to make a copy of the file and change the suffix on it and try opening it. .mp3, .wav, etc. It's possible the recorder just makes an old .wav file, but uses the .dvr extension.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

vwgtiturbo  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 3, 2009, 04:58 PM

Gave that one a try, but it was a no go. Renaming the file to random audio formats didn't help either. AAUGGGHH!! It's driving me NUTS not even knowing what kind of file this is...

megasad
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 8, 2009, 08:01 PM

( Last edited by megasad; Sep 8, 2009 at 08:09 PM. )
BayBook (13" MacBook Pro, 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, 1TB HD) // BayPhone (iPhone 4, 32GB, black)

vwgtiturbo  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 9, 2009, 09:01 AM

Thanks for the reply! As far as the links...
The first link (the DVR-MS reference)... I looked at this quite a bit, as that was the only info I could find concerning a .dvr file extension. It seems that that is geared more towards video though... However, I am going to try and use some of those programs and hopefully the .dvr is just a container with a blank video track (and only has the audio track, since it is from a digital voice recorder).

The second link... I tried to install this software, however, could not get it to complete the installation. It kept telling me that I hadn't selected anything to install. So, I toggled the checkboxes in an attempt to make it 'stick', and continued on. It then said to do a HotSync with a Palm so that the files could be installed automatically. Since I don't have a Palm to do this with, I assume that the files were never installed...

The final link... I ended up installing Super, and it's requirements, however it just didn't do a single thing. It might be because the .dvr has no video; I'm not sure.

Thanks for the help; I just wish I had the receipt for that recorder so I could see what brand it was and research that way to get it's software. I can't even remember the site now (it was from 2003ish).

Forum Links
Forum Rules