Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Hard drive is invisible!

Hard drive is invisible!
diamondsw
Senior User
Mar 1, 2006, 12:25 AM

After a crash where Disk Utility was trying to image a scratched CD (and failing spectacularly) on my MacBook Pro, on every boot my main hard drive is invisible. It doesn't show on the desktop or in the sidebar (all other disks do) and if you command click a window title, it shows up in the path popup as grayed out, but it can be navigated to manually. I've been trying to set it back to visible with no success. SetFile changes to root don't seem to persist across boots, and Disk Utility doesn't see anything wrong (blast the lack of disk utils on the Intels!).

Does anyone have any suggestions to fix this?

Tomchu
Mac Elite
Mar 1, 2006, 01:25 AM

Have you tried going to Finder --> Preferences, and then checking off all the hard-disk related stuff?

diamondsw  (op)
Senior User
Mar 1, 2006, 01:42 AM

Originally Posted by Tomchu
Have you tried going to Finder --> Preferences, and then checking off all the hard-disk related stuff?
Yes, tried that. I just tried SetFile and turned off all options, and hopefully that will do it.

diamondsw  (op)
Senior User
Mar 1, 2006, 02:44 AM

Originally Posted by diamondsw
Yes, tried that. I just tried SetFile and turned off all options, and hopefully that will do it.
Looks like that did it. Must have been one of "A, B, or D" options.

Douglashh
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 1, 2006, 12:37 PM

I've had this same issue, invisible HD, a couple of times now. I've been able to enter a command through Terminal to reset the visibility and that does hold through reboots. Where can I get SefFile? BTW I'm using 10.4.5 on a MDD G4.

Thanks,

diamondsw  (op)
Senior User
Mar 1, 2006, 07:59 PM

Uh-oh, I thought it was fixed and it's not. After the last round of updates today, it's invisible again. I also notice its label is being set to gray spontaneously as well.

Douglashh - SetFile is part of the developer tools, and once installed is located in /Developer/Tools. The following command will reset all options except for custom icon:

sudo /Developer/Tools/SetFile -a abdeilmnstvz /

This seems to work for a while, but I have no idea what is causing it to reoccur. I'll report it to MacFixit and see if anyone else has seen it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules