Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Using iPhoto 6 without iWeb?

Using iPhoto 6 without iWeb?
diamondsw
Senior User
Mar 1, 2006, 07:01 PM

I upgraded to iLife 06 (thanks to a new MacBook Pro), and while I love the new features, I don't like using iWeb for my uploaded photo albums - I much prefer the previous "homepage.mac.com" integration. For one thing, it nicely integrated all of my photo albums with each other (there's a set of links along the top that link all the pages together), and secondly, I just liked its page formats more. The lack of integration between my old photo albums and the new iWeb ones is the major dealbreaker, however.

I know iPhoto 6 can work with Homepage (I used it this way on my previous computer without iWeb), and I'd rather not uninstall iWeb, as I want to use it for other projects. Is there any way to get iPhoto to revert to using Homepage?

(If this makes no sense, my apologies - I'm sick and not all that coherent!)

diamondsw  (op)
Senior User
Mar 1, 2006, 08:47 PM

Looks like Apple just ripped that out. I still see the NetService for HomePage in there - anyone know of a way to use it?

Thread at Apple is here: http://discussions.apple.com/thread....hreadID=313019

DigitalEl
Mac Elite
Mar 2, 2006, 04:29 AM

Any new iWeb pages you use will be linked together if you wish it. iWeb actually gives you a lot more flexibility in this regard than Homepage did. As for linking iWeb and Homepage pages together, I haven't found a way to do that automatically and it does suck.

I used my first week with iWeb as a tutorial, using the snappy (tm) new templates to redo my old Homepage sites. It was a little hassle, but made me more proficient with iWeb by the time I was done. Not to mention my sites look much better now.

Something to consider.

-El
http://web.mac.com/echobravo
Jalen's dad. Carrie's husband.  partisan. Bleu blanc et rouge.

diamondsw  (op)
Senior User
Mar 2, 2006, 11:50 AM

I'd have no problem with iWeb if:
1) It imported all of the existing Homepage sites and linked them in
2) It had all of the templates available to Homepage
3) It didn't still have the infuriating limitations of Homepage (two lines of text per photo? Why?)

As it is, importing and redoing about 40 pages, most of which use templates not available in iWeb, and many of which use the two column format not available in iWeb; let's just say if I go to all of that trouble then I have no reason to host on dot-Mac any longer and I'll take my annual renewal fee and iLife upgrades elsewhere.

legacyb4
Mac Elite
Mar 20, 2006, 05:20 PM

Just started to play around with iWeb and I have to say that while it is a nifty tool for folks wanting to get on with their lives and simply push content to the web, it's still a couple of extra steps over the ease of use that the iPhoto "Publish to Hompage" service was.

I'm a little bit irked that I no longer can simply push content from iPhoto to a quick and dirty template without having to step into an editor to manage the content not to mention that I my photo data in triplicate stored locally (original, edits, and iWeb site local copy)...
Macbook (Black) C2D/250GB/3GB | G5/1.6 250GBx2/2.0GB
Free Mobile Ringtone & Games Uploader | Flickr | Twitter

Forum Links
Forum Rules