Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Firefox - Can't type in any field

Firefox - Can't type in any field
stuffedmonkey
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 31, 2006, 01:37 PM

I've been running into the same Firefox problem for a while now. After a period of time, I can't type in any field (including the URL) for the front Firefox window and any tab within that window. If I close that window and open a new one - it works fine. I have the same problem with multiple Macs - but never have had the problem on Windows. As of Firefox 2.0 - if I am having this problem I can cure it by opening the "About Firefox" window and and closing it.

I know it's not an extensions issue - as I can uninstall all extensions and it still happens. I am wondering if other people are having this problem. I need to try uninstalling all of my Unsanity Haxies next so see if that works.

Has anyone else had this problem?

hookem2oo7
Senior User
Oct 31, 2006, 01:51 PM

yes...exactly as you describe. I've found that simply switching apps, say bringing up a Word window or whatever else i have running and then going back to the firefox window lets me type again

torifile
Mac Elite
Oct 31, 2006, 03:02 PM

Same problem here.

stuffedmonkey  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 1, 2006, 10:41 AM

For you other people having the same problem - what apps do you have installed that might interact with Firefox? I have WindowshadeX, Fruitmenu, Little Snitch and a few others. When I have time tonight I am going to test disabling them one at a time to see if it makes a difference.

sieb
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 1, 2006, 10:50 AM

I had this problem too. It was something they changed in 1.5.0.2 or so. I posted to the Mozilla forums but no one had a fix other than going back to 1.5.0.1. I reinstalled everything a while ago and haven't had a problem, even with 2.0.
Sieb
Blackbook
(2Ghz, 2GB, 100Gig, week 21)

Forum Links
Forum Rules