Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Mac Pro and Dell Monitor

Mac Pro and Dell Monitor
dmetzcher
Forum Regular
Nov 1, 2006, 11:12 PM

I'm getting a Mac Pro in the next couple of weeks, and will not be buying a Cinema display for a few months. I have a 21" Dell (Sony Trinitron) monitor that I use right now with my Windows PC. Am I going to run into problems with the fonts looking fuzzy or any other resolution issues if I use this monitor with the Mac Pro? Obviously, it's not widescreen. I'm planning on getting the upgraded video card in the Mac Pro, if that helps?

Thanks!
Dennis R. Metzcher
MyMacBlog.com: My experiences with the Mac OS, a switcher's point of view. With a new Mac tip each week day.

Borman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 2, 2006, 01:37 AM

Nope, youll be fine. I run a 24 inch dell widescreen fine, but have also run a 19 inch CRT fine as well. Just set the resolution correctly, and youre golden.

Macintosh Sauce
Nov 2, 2006, 01:59 AM

Nope... I have a DELL P1130 21" monitor that I used with my old PowerMac G4 (dual 1.25 GHz MD). Works perfectly... I am selling it now, since I got a newer Viewsonic G225GB 21" monitor at much higher resolutions.

webmonkie
Nov 2, 2006, 08:51 AM

You will run your monitor just fine. You could probably be able to run it at 1900 resolution if you need that much.

stuffedmonkey
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 2, 2006, 11:24 AM

The monitor is going to look exactly the same as it currently does on your windows PC.

PowerPc = Pwnage
Forum Regular
Nov 2, 2006, 09:26 PM

A lot of people will disagree with me on this one, but I think Dells are great for anyone, the sexy black looks, the fact you can hook up like 6 things to one at once (great for noobs who switch back to pcs a lot), in some cases, they are a third of a price ( I think, don't quote me.) The only person who needs an Apple monitor, is a rich one who wants a matching monitor, or a professional, in any career.

"Oh! You smell good, what is that? Macintosh."-http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2006/03/03

dmetzcher  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 3, 2006, 05:36 PM

Thanks for all the replies, everyone. I'll be getting a widescreen display in the coming months, but this monitor is still going strong for almost 10 years now, so it's nice to know that I can use it a little longer.
Dennis R. Metzcher
MyMacBlog.com: My experiences with the Mac OS, a switcher's point of view. With a new Mac tip each week day.

RogueSqdn
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 5, 2006, 07:27 PM

I have a 20.1" Dell LCD (the 2001FP) and have three things hooked to it: my MacBook (to the DVI port, via Apple's mini-DVI to DVI adapter), my Xbox 360 (to the VGA port), and my Xbox (to the composite port). There is still one open input, for S-video.

I HAD a desktop PC hooked up to it, but I've recently dropped Windows gaming altogether due to the costs involved in keeping up with it.
Rogue
-------

MacBook Pro 2.33 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo w/2GB DDR2 RAM & Logitech BT MX1000.
"I can feel your anger... it gives you focus, makes you stronger!" -- Emperor Palpatine, Revenge of the Sith

Forum Links
Forum Rules