Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > how do you put a background image on a disk image?

how do you put a background image on a disk image?
wednesday
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 9, 2007, 03:31 PM

I want to distribute software that is very easy for users to install. I like the :adium" example on this page:

Symphonious � I’ll Tell You Where You Can Drag Your Icon…

I know how to make a disk image but how do you put a picture in the background?

Thanks!

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 9, 2007, 03:56 PM

Finder: View->Show view options->Background: image (which obviously needs to be in the same folder or subfolder of it)

You can rename the image file afterwards starting with a dot or set the invisible flag to make the image file invisible.

Diggory Laycock
Professional Poster
Mar 9, 2007, 05:50 PM

If you want to distribute software then you may want to automate the process (it gets very boring, very quickly, doing it by hand.)
Might I suggest that you investigate the process that Growl uses. You can even integrate it into an xcode build phase.

If you want to be really lazy (like me) and don't need xcode integration you can use a small AppleScript Droplet I made (after examining the Growl build process a few years ago.) It needs to be an applet bundle because it contains the 'openUp' executable inside it. (i.e. the script alone will not work.)

I forget exactly how it works, but you should be able to work it out by looking at the source of the script.

As far as I remember you just drop a folder (laid out as you wish) on to the droplet containing an image named background.png/jpg at the root of the folder and it will create a DMG for you....

http://www.diggory.net/grazing/DMGBackgrounder.zip

good luck.

p.s. more info on growl build process from the blog of the project leader here:
Nobody learns if nothing is brok3n: September 2006 Archives

Forum Links
Forum Rules