Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Apple's WWDC 2014 schedule

Apple's WWDC 2014 schedule (Page 2)
Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 4, 2014, 11:43 AM

Just a general observation. I enjoyed the presentation, it seemed a lot more "fun". Craig 'hair force one' Federighi did a fantastic job (second only to Jobs). IMHO.

How to make it better? I think Tim should have less stage time (maybe the start and end), and have Phil Schiller on instead. Tim's great for operations and running the company. Jony for industrial design... neither are great on product presentations, and there's nothing wrong with that. Im not a marketing/presentation sort of guy, but i think Craig for Software and Phil for hardware & general, and Eddie Cue for iTunes/content might make for a better overall presentation in the future.

Cheers

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 4, 2014, 12:00 PM

Somebody call my name?

45/47

andi*pandi
Jun 4, 2014, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
This is my assumption too, but I was hoping to be surprised. Oh well, I'm only going to be with AT&T (and in this country) for a few more months, and I can't upgrade anyway because we elected to stick with our iPhone 4 phones until we make the move.
If this is the case, I would be extremely bummed out. The demo behaved just as I wished my phone did, simple, no need for another phone box hotspot device, etc.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jun 4, 2014, 04:12 PM

Which US carriers don't include tethering now? Verizon does with their Share Everything plan.

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Jun 4, 2014, 04:15 PM

I have the (grandfathered) unlimited data plan from AT&T. If I add tethering I would lose the unlimited... kinda shitty. Luckily I have TWC, which has WiFi everywhere anyway... which also devalues the unlimited data.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jun 4, 2014, 04:25 PM

Yeah, I think the old unlimited plans from Verizon are the same way.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 4, 2014, 04:38 PM

I just bought an iPad Air WiFi only. I saw no need for an LTE model because 99% of the place we go have WiFi. My wife will be upgrading to an iPhone soon and we will switch to the aforementioned "More Everything Plan" because it does include the hotspot for when we do hit those rare spots that don't have WiFi. If I just added her phone and an hotspot it would cost more than switching to More Everything
45/47

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 4, 2014, 05:19 PM

While I don't regret not paying the extra to have a data connection on my iPad, for me, the hotspot syncing isn't as painless of a process as I would want it to be.

It always takes too long to establish a link, and then if your iPad is locked for any amount of time it always seems to lose the connection.

I'm hoping that this iOS 8 fixes all these problems.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Jun 5, 2014, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a View Post
The fonts look better and the translucency is nice (however it did remind me of Windows7 ugh).
Indeed. Because when I'm trying to read through my email it's important to have a distracting semi transparent bit of my desktop showing through. This better be an on or off feature.

The new font is nice though. And the dock is better. The new green dot to full screen makes sense. It's a bit of a wrench after all these years but it's not a mad idea.
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

P
Jun 5, 2014, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by Doc HM View Post
Indeed. Because when I'm trying to read through my email it's important to have a distracting semi transparent bit of my desktop showing through. This better be an on or off feature.
The content of windows is not transparent. The chrome of the windows - toolbar and sidebar etc - is transparent now, just like the menu bar has been for years. Note that there is an option to disable that transparency, which bodes well.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

mindwaves
Jun 6, 2014, 05:31 AM

I'm glad that the green zoom button is now the fullscreen button. I NEVER used the green button because every application handled it differently, which was totally bizarre.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 6, 2014, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by mindwaves View Post
I'm glad that the green zoom button is now the fullscreen button. I NEVER used the green button because every application handled it differently, which was totally bizarre.
Yup, it's always been pretty weird. I would still prefer if it did not go fullscreen but instead just maximized to screen size, which was ostensibly what it has been supposed to do.

Is there any "pin window" option yet? Something as simple as Window Key-arrow has improved my window management tremendously, and Mac OS X's all-over-the-place window placement has frustrated me for years now.
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 6, 2014, 11:11 AM

I wonder if the button can have two contexts.

First click, goes to maximum size of document/window (the way it is pre-Yosemite), click it a second time and it goes full screen. If you resize while in maximum mode, you go back to the initial state.

Personally, i'd prefer to have the button operate the way it is now, and have the keyboard shortcut (Command-F) be used for full screen. (sort of like QuickTime)

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 6, 2014, 11:51 AM

I thought all windows have a fullscreen button on the right side

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jun 6, 2014, 11:56 AM

Really nice set of announcements I thought.

Home automation is gonna really take off now. Voice was the missing piece of that puzzle.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 6, 2014, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a View Post
I wonder if the button can have two contexts.

First click, goes to maximum size of document/window (the way it is pre-Yosemite), click it a second time and it goes full screen. If you resize while in maximum mode, you go back to the initial state.
I have used the old Maximize about 3 times in 13 years with OS X.

Won't miss it.

-t

P
Jun 6, 2014, 08:50 PM

The zoom button is probably the most misunderstood feature of the OS, so I'm glad they're changing it - one less thing to explain.

The logic is this: the button used to mean "expand to fill the screen". As screens got bigger and 14" (CRT) became the standard - in 1991 or thereabouts - it was changed to mean "expand to fit all of your content". This became something that the app needed to supply, so when the app didn't supply anything, it worked in the old way - ie, expand to fill the screen. You could force it to always expand to fill the screen by holding option. This worked for a while, but over time, developers forgot about the feature, so it became expand to fill the screen all the time except in Apple's apps. Hence the confusion.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

P
Jun 6, 2014, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by ShortcutToMoncton View Post
I thought all windows have a fullscreen button on the right side
They do, but in an effort to simplify, that button is being removed.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 7, 2014, 08:02 AM

So.....what happens if you just want to expand to fit your contents or don't want to go full screen? Don't tell me you need to do that manually??

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jun 7, 2014, 10:35 AM

Option-click the green button.

"Expand to fit content" hasn't done so reliably in well over a decade.

Forum Links
Forum Rules