Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Panther Education Pricing

Panther Education Pricing
sTvN
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 8, 2003, 03:10 PM

Hello,
I want to get the Panther family pack, but I'm a student, and so would appreciate the education discount. Has anyone been able to see this product on Apple's education website? I can find the single user version of Panther, but not the family pack.

Thanks for the help,
Steven
w3rd

piracy
Mac Elite
Oct 8, 2003, 03:23 PM

There is no Family Pack for the education market.

This is because the academic discount is intended only for the benefit of the buyer, who as a relationship with an educational institution, not other random family members.

(If you have more than one computer personally, you should decide whether the Family Pack or multiple academic copies are right for you.)

Earth Mk. II
Mac Elite
Oct 8, 2003, 03:35 PM

There is no educational pricing on the Panther Family Pack (nor was there any on the Jaguar, iirc). Nor do I think there should be one.

They're already discounting the cost of 5 Panther licences with the Family pack, so I really don't see a need to discount it further.

Retail Price (single license Panther x5) : $129.00 * 5 = $645.00
Edu Price (single license Panther x5) : $69.00 * 5 = $345.00
Family Pack (5 licenses) : $199.00 ($199.00 � 5 = $39.80 per license)

About $40 per computer you can put that on at it's least expensive (all 5 licenses used), $100 per computer if you only use 2 of those licenses. That's already an amazing deal, and cheeper than buying 2 Panther boxes on the edu discount. Do you really need an edu discount on that?
/Earth\ Mk\.\ I{2}/

kcmac
Mac Elite
Oct 8, 2003, 03:53 PM

How does a student get a discount? When you go through the buying process, it says you need to be an employee, a board member, a PTA member, etc.

PS. I am trying to get the student discount by taking advantage of my high school teenager... Is there a place where you can send in a fax or a copy of the school class schedule, etc?

Otherwise, I have no problem paying the full price. Just pinchin' pennies if you know what I mean.

Earth Mk. II
Mac Elite
Oct 8, 2003, 04:06 PM

for K-12:
The following education individuals are eligible to purchase through the Apple Store for Education individuals:

• Employee of public or private K-12 institutions in the United States
  • School Board members who are currently serving as elected or appointed members
  • PTA or PTO executives currently serving as elected or appointed officers
  • Qualified homeschools
  • Employee of a public or private, profit or non-profit preschool
for higher ed:
The following education individuals are eligible to purchase through the Apple Store for Education individuals:

• Faculty or staff member of a public or private Higher Education Institution in the United States
  • Student currently attending or accepted into a public or private Higher Education Institution in the United States
K-12 students aren't eligible.
/Earth\ Mk\.\ I{2}/

kcmac
Mac Elite
Oct 8, 2003, 06:22 PM

Yeah,

That's what I thought. I read that part as well.

Applefreak01
Senior User
Oct 9, 2003, 01:08 AM

Originally posted by kcmac:
How does a student get a discount? When you go through the buying process, it says you need to be an employee, a board member, a PTA member, etc.

PS. I am trying to get the student discount by taking advantage of my high school teenager... Is there a place where you can send in a fax or a copy of the school class schedule, etc?

Otherwise, I have no problem paying the full price. Just pinchin' pennies if you know what I mean.
The only students are college students that can legally purchase Mac OS X 10.3. The offer doesn't apply to students k-12 students (Can you see a 1st grader getting on and ordering 10.3, I don't think so).

If you know anyone who works in a school have them get it for you or ask one of your kids teachers to get if for you
( Last edited by Applefreak01; Oct 9, 2003 at 01:24 AM. )
[Riding a circus elephant]
Peter: Look Lois, the two smybols of the Republican Party: an elephant, and a fat white guy who is threatened by change. - Family Guy

Andrew 8808
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 9, 2003, 01:56 AM

Can one only get the educational discount through the online store? Meaning I can't go out on the 24th and get it at our Apple Store?
I think my friend tried that with 10.2, and they couldn't do it at the actual store....

Malus
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 9, 2003, 02:07 AM

Originally posted by Earth Mk. II:
for K-12:

for higher ed:

K-12 students aren't eligible.
Gall i hate that it is absolute BS. What logical reason is there to bar k12 Students(namely us Highschool students) from getting the edu discount. Does Apple not want our buisness or something. Or are they so dense that they just assume all high school students have parents who buy them everything and so money is no object. Many HS students are just as cash strapped as college students, and thus it makes no sense to bar us from the discount. Its like saying yes we know our prices our high, so go buy a PC, casue we arent cutting you any slack you dumbass high schooler.

Akarso
Oct 9, 2003, 03:15 AM

Originally posted by Andrew 8808:
Can one only get the educational discount through the online store? Meaning I can't go out on the 24th and get it at our Apple Store?
I think my friend tried that with 10.2, and they couldn't do it at the actual store....
yup, you can only get an educational discount through the apple online store. your other alternative would be to go to the nearest college/university and buy your apple gear through them. (that's what i did when i bought an ibook, and i wasn't even a student of the school)
(oi)

Akarso
Oct 9, 2003, 03:25 AM

Originally posted by kcmac:

it's really easy to get an educational discount. (even if you're not a student) i believe it's just an honor system, as they never really checked to see if i was a student or not. in the past, i've ordered os x jaguar, and a dual powermac g4 with an educational discount and i've been out of college for a year now. they don't check as far as i know, so go ahead and just go for it. it'll save you a few bucks here and there. (or do what i did and buy your apple gear from a nearby college/university)
(oi)

blackbird_1.0
Mac Elite
Oct 9, 2003, 05:50 AM

i read on apple's site somewhere that if you have a student in k-12 then you can get discounts on some things

does the single/multiple liscense affect your itms authentications?
Apple II GS | Powerbook 165 | iMac Rev. A 96mb RAM| iBook G3 500mhz, 128mb RAM | Power Macintosh G5 1.6ghz, 2.25gb RAM | Black MacBook 2ghz, 2gb RAM | iPhone Rev. A 8gb HD

alex_wlu_82
Forum Regular
Oct 9, 2003, 11:24 AM

the edu price = reg price = CAD 179. If i recall, jaguar was ~ CAD100 with the education discount..

that's quite a boost, which is why i won't be buying it.. not to say that i won't be (am) using it..

expos� almost makes it worth it, but it can't feed me for 2 weeks like tasty cash can.

forcelite
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 9, 2003, 11:57 AM

Malus

Its called marketing,
Somethimes what you think is best si not alwasy best for the company. They pay people millions of dollars to figure out the exact numbers and who gets breaks and who doesnt. Just so you know Dell gives no discounts for eudcation (teacher or student) nor do they give discounts for millitarys. They do however give discounts to business owners.

Everything is corelated to each other so there is no real way to say , just give k-12 a discount and everything will be ok.

Force
Force

jtc
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 9, 2003, 12:02 PM

Originally posted by Andrew 8808:
I got an educational discount at the local apple store. I just told them I was a student, showed them a copy of my ID (I think I had to fill out a form, too) and they gave me the edu price. I've done this a few times, the most recent was in May for the new iPods so unless something has changed you should be able to get the discount.

Alternatively, maybe you could call the apple store (online) and ask if you can purchase through them and pick it up at your local apple retail store.

songoku912
Forum Regular
Oct 9, 2003, 12:44 PM

I think the edu discount on software only applies to the online store, you can buy hardware with the edu discount in the Apple store. Does anyone know why that is the policy?

blackbird_1.0
Mac Elite
Oct 9, 2003, 01:58 PM

upon entering the apple education sotre it says you have to be CURRENTLY attending or accepted, so i guess i'm not covered cus i took a year off
Apple II GS | Powerbook 165 | iMac Rev. A 96mb RAM| iBook G3 500mhz, 128mb RAM | Power Macintosh G5 1.6ghz, 2.25gb RAM | Black MacBook 2ghz, 2gb RAM | iPhone Rev. A 8gb HD

rhogue islander
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 9, 2003, 02:00 PM

Call your local Apple Store and ask.

I did and they said yes. Proceeded to said Apple Store and used edu discount to purchase new Dual G5.

You'll need your drivers' license and student ID.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Oct 9, 2003, 02:00 PM

I hear the Apple store will now accept a student IDs for Panther purchases...

NICE!!!

fulmer
Professional Poster
Oct 9, 2003, 02:28 PM

If you're a federal employee, you can get the $70 price. An excellent discount I think.

fulmer
Professional Poster
Oct 9, 2003, 02:30 PM

Originally posted by mitchell_pgh:
I hear the Apple store will now accept a student IDs for Panther purchases...

NICE!!!
disclaimer: just to be safe, call your local Apple Store to confirm.

Rain
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 9, 2003, 02:37 PM

Originally posted by Malus:
Gall i hate that it is absolute BS. What logical reason is there to bar k12 Students(namely us Highschool students) from getting the edu discount. Does Apple not want our buisness or something. Or are they so dense that they just assume all high school students have parents who buy them everything and so money is no object. Many HS students are just as cash strapped as college students, and thus it makes no sense to bar us from the discount. Its like saying yes we know our prices our high, so go buy a PC, casue we arent cutting you any slack you dumbass high schooler.
1. High school students don't have to pay for tuition.

2. Parents of students from k-12 are expected to pay for all their student's educational needs.

3. College students have to pay for tuition, living expense, textbooks, etc etc. It ain't cheap being a college/university student!

ETA: Does anyone know if the Canadian store will lower their edu. pricing on Panther? It's both $179 for regular and edu. customers.

cybergoober
Mac Elite
Oct 9, 2003, 03:25 PM

Originally posted by fulmer:
If you're a federal employee, you can get the $70 price. An excellent discount I think.

Erm, no.

It's $64.50

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Oct 9, 2003, 03:28 PM

Originally posted by fulmer:
disclaimer: just to be safe, call your local Apple Store to confirm.
GOOD POINT... I have seen people turned away!

blackbird_1.0
Mac Elite
Oct 9, 2003, 05:42 PM

um, my local apple store(s) is 300 miles away, i was talking bout online, even thogh i took a year off of colege, can i still get the edu discount, and if so, what do i need online to do this?

fulmer
Professional Poster
Oct 9, 2003, 10:54 PM

Originally posted by cybergoober:
Erm, no.
erm, I was rounding up once the sales tax was included.

Applefreak01
Senior User
Oct 9, 2003, 11:50 PM

Originally posted by Malus:
I think Apple would like high school students to be able to buy it's products at the educational discount, but I think they think that most high school students don't have the $$$ to buy a Power Mac G5 or in this case 10.3. Most high school students don't have a credit card, and by the time they do get one they are in college so the prices apply.

I agree this sucks for you and others, but you got to look at the way Apple thinks it should be, it's very logical to me at least. But again they could make the prices good to parents of K-12 kids. That would take care of everyone. Sorry the call's not up to me. Send an email to Steve.
Peter: Look Lois, the two smybols of the Republican Party: an elephant, and a fat white guy who is threatened by change. - Family Guy

TheIceMan
Mac Elite
Oct 10, 2003, 12:27 AM

Originally posted by Akarso:
it's really easy to get an educational discount. (even if you're not a student) i believe it's just an honor system, as they never really checked to see if i was a student or not. in the past, i've ordered os x jaguar, and a dual powermac g4 with an educational discount and i've been out of college for a year now. they don't check as far as i know, so go ahead and just go for it...
Akarso: You are CORRECT. The Apple online store does not check. My brother who is a college student ordered his iMac and they didn't check. It would cost Apple too much time and manpower to check every Education order. There must be hundreds of thousands, there is no way they would waste time to do so.

Applefreak01
Senior User
Oct 10, 2003, 02:15 AM

Originally posted by TheIceMan:
Akarso: You are CORRECT. The Apple online store does not check. My brother who is a college student ordered his iMac and they didn't check. It would cost Apple too much time and manpower to check every Education order. There must be hundreds of thousands, there is no way they would waste time to do so.
Your right every time I've ordered something through the Apple Store for Education they never asked for any information. Maybe that's why the education discount for hardware isn't all that great. I would rather order my hardware from Maczone or some other online retailer and save on taxes plus sometimes the price is about the same as Apple's educational "discount".

Badpat
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 10, 2003, 05:01 AM

Originally posted by piracy:
There is no Family Pack for the education market.
Actually there is in Europe.

Single-user license is 85 Euro + VAT
Family Pack is 99 Euro + VAT

(Prices are from the german Apple Edu Store)

Bye Patrick

biscuit
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 10, 2003, 07:49 AM

There's an education multi-pack in the UK too:

Single Licence: �69.33 = $155.31
Multi-Pack: �79.90 = $132.89

Which includes VAT at 17.5%. Standard pricing is:

Single Licence: �99.01 = $164.65
Multi-Pack: �159.00 = $264.41

I originally had a comment in here about Rip-Off Britain, but that was before I remembered about the VAT.

biscuit

JKT
Professional Poster
Oct 10, 2003, 08:43 AM

Originally posted by biscuit:
There's an education multi-pack in the UK too:

Single Licence: �69.33 = $155.31
Multi-Pack: �79.90 = $132.89

Which includes VAT at 17.5%. Standard pricing is:

Single Licence: �99.01 = $164.65
Multi-Pack: �159.00 = $264.41

I originally had a comment in here about Rip-Off Britain, but that was before I remembered about the VAT.

biscuit
Hmmm, there seems to be an error at the Apple UK store for Higher Education - the family pack is still the same higher price as the normal version (incidentally, a single licence was also at the higher price initially - they appear to have corrected that though). Just a warning for anyone going through the Apple UK HE store.

sCreeD
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 10, 2003, 01:36 PM

Anyone know if Panther Server will be available to education individuals (Jaguar was). Right now only Panther is listed in the Apple Software section of the edu. online store.

I wanted to get some experience with it.

Screed

blackbird_1.0
Mac Elite
Oct 10, 2003, 01:53 PM

iceman, someone on spymac mentioned that once in a while they do audit these education orders, requiring you to submit id

once in a while though

Forum Links
Forum Rules