Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > Best CSS Book?

Best CSS Book?
timmerk
Mac Elite
Mar 9, 2004, 12:42 AM

Hi,

I am looking to learn CSS. I am a pretty good leaner so I don't want something that basic.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Simon Mundy
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 9, 2004, 01:13 AM

Originally posted by timmerk:
Hi,

I am looking to learn CSS. I am a pretty good leaner so I don't want something that basic.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
www.amazon.com ... search for 'eric meyer'... [ BUY NOW ]!

He has a lovely writing style, and his everpresent knowledge of the subject across the web can't be ignored.
Computer thez nohhh...

Simon Mundy
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 9, 2004, 01:14 AM

AAAHHH!!!!!

Just had to get off 666 posts. Sorry! I much prefer being the neighbor of the beast.
Computer thez nohhh...

OreoCookie
Mar 9, 2004, 11:52 AM

Check out the CSS docu of the w3c.org.

w3c.org docu
w3c.org examples
Bluerobot.com -- good example files

Get some examples first, e. g. check out the examples of bluerocket.com or the w3c and then tinker with the documentation. It didn't take me long, after some kind people here supplied me with some info.

Start with an easy example, like my very unfinished (work in progress) site about my time in Japan.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

timmerk  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 9, 2004, 12:25 PM

I heard that the Eric Meyer book was very good, but many things only work for Netscape, since he is a standards guy that works for Netscape.

Any truth to this?

How about a campion ref guide to go with it? Should I get that Eric Meyer ref or Core CSS?

Thanks!

Simon Mundy
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 9, 2004, 06:27 PM

Originally posted by timmerk:
I heard that the Eric Meyer book was very good, but many things only work for Netscape, since he is a standards guy that works for Netscape.

Any truth to this?

How about a campion ref guide to go with it? Should I get that Eric Meyer ref or Core CSS?

Thanks!
I use http://www.westciv.com/style_master/...owser_support/ as a guide to working out how far I take CSS techniques. It complements CSS 'theory' well, as you'll find out that there's many standards that aren't fully supported by the big two.

Since Meyer is generally sticking to W3 standards (as a lot of NS people will) any elements you use will most likely stay consistent into the future. Whereas a lot of the hacks to make things work in IE may fall over is MS decide to rewrite their rendering code, or introduce new 'features'.
Computer thez nohhh...

Akarso
Mar 22, 2004, 04:50 PM

You definitely have to start out with "designing with web standards" by jeffrey zeldman. It's an awesome book, that will get you started on creating standards complaint CSS websites.
(oi)

OptimusG4
Mac Elite
Mar 22, 2004, 05:15 PM

Originally posted by Akarso:
You definitely have to start out with "designing with web standards" by jeffrey zeldman. It's an awesome book, that will get you started on creating standards complaint CSS websites.
"Another classic science-fiction show cancelled before its time" ~ Bender

15.2" PowerBook 1.25GHz, 80GB HD, 768MB RAM, SuperDrive

Holigen
Mac Elite
Apr 13, 2004, 12:55 AM

If youre a complete newbie like I was, CSS The Definitive Guide is very useful. Plus, it was just updated for CSS 2.1. I highly recommend it.

.: 15" PowerBook G4 - 1.5 GHz - 512 MB RAM - ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 128 MB VRAM - 80 GB HD @ 5400 rpm :.

Forum Links
Forum Rules