Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Wife comparing Windows app's to Mac apps

Wife comparing Windows app's to Mac apps
garyton
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 23, 2006, 09:37 PM

My wife and I just came back from the Apple store. After playing with a Pro for several hours she felt that maybe the app's are more restrictive than what she is using now on her PC.
She now uses Pinnacle Studio DVD/Macromedia Dreamweaver/Flash/Photshop/Canon browser/ACDC.
She felt it was strange the way apple uses one giant file for all pictures downloaded and then you create folders for the pictures but they do not really go in there. So you are not really moving files or copying. She thought it strange that after you edit a picture and save it, if you delete one, then you lose the other I believe. How do you guys handle file management and edited images and file management of them?
What about video creations? Is iMovie similar to her Pinnacle Studio, or is Final Cut Express similar. Is Final Cut Pro so complex that is is too hard to work with as also Motion?
I only like the hardware as it is designed better for her needs than me building her a dual core pc and lots of stuff when the Power Mac has the cpu's and ram she can benefit from.
I just do mail and she downloads and does my photo work for me. I just want her to be comfortable and be able to do her work easily.
Have many of yoiu made the change from PC to mac for this kind of work and how frustrating was it and how long did it take?
If she has web sites created with Dreamweaver, will she be able to continue working with them with her new Pro or will she have to reprogram the site into her new mac?
Gary

Jake_11
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 24, 2006, 12:01 AM

I haven't used Pinnacle Studio DVD, so I'm not sure how advanced it is. iMovie is more powerful than Windows Movie Maker and can meet the demands of a lot of people. If you are doing editing professionally, than you might want to go Final Cut. It doesn't seem than difficult to me. I know Dreamweaver works the same and the files should just transfer right over. I've used it for Windows and Mac transferring the same site back and forth. And I'm not sure what you are talking about with the pictures.
MacBook 1.83GHz, 1GB
MacBook 2.0Ghz, 2GB
iPhone 8GB

newtech
Forum Regular
Sep 24, 2006, 12:38 AM

Does she know that BootCamp will let her use all her current software on the mac under windows?

garyton  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 24, 2006, 12:59 AM

Yes, I have told her that she can run all of her existing programs if she likes.
I was under the assumption that Rosetta which is a program in the Mac Pro will let he run all of her windows based programs. I thought Bootcamp was to run Windows as a second operating system. Is that correct?
I think I have done all I can to get her to consider switching, now it is up to her to decide.
Thanks

hookem2oo7
Senior User
Sep 24, 2006, 01:01 AM

no, rosetta emulates the powerpc platform so that older Mac applications run smoothly on the new intel hardware. Boot camp allows you to install windows (totally separate from OS X) and have your computer behave like a "normal" PC running windows.

slpdLoad
Mac Elite
Sep 24, 2006, 01:28 AM

Originally Posted by garyton
She now uses Pinnacle Studio DVD/Macromedia Dreamweaver/Flash/Photshop/Canon browser/ACDC.
Gary
Available for Mac: Dreamweaver, Flash, Photoshop

She felt it was strange the way apple uses one giant file for all pictures downloaded and then you create folders for the pictures but they do not really go in there. So you are not really moving files or copying. She thought it strange that after you edit a picture and save it, if you delete one, then you lose the other I believe. How do you guys handle file management and edited images and file management of them?
Note that you don't have to use iPhoto for pictures on the Mac. Your camera might have software, and there are many other applications that you can use, including just making your own folders.

What about video creations? Is iMovie similar to her Pinnacle Studio, or is Final Cut Express similar. Is Final Cut Pro so complex that is is too hard to work with as also Motion?
I would guess that iMovie is more similar to Pinnacle Studio, since Final Cut comes with advanced tools like LiveType and Soundtrack. I have used Final Cut Express HD, and would say that if a person is savvy with any type of video software, you wouldn't have a problem. I found it quite inuitive, and of course there are many support documents for it.
Only Final Cut Studio has Motion and DVD Studio in it though. Express does not.

She might also think about using Parallels (runs Windows in a window inside the Mac OS), which would allow her to use Pinnacle without restarting.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Sep 24, 2006, 01:55 AM

Yes, I have told her that she can run all of her existing programs if she likes.
I was under the assumption that Rosetta which is a program in the Mac Pro will let he run all of her windows based programs. I thought Bootcamp was to run Windows as a second operating system. Is that correct?
You're right about Boot Camp, but Rosetta has nothing to do with running Windows. Rosetta is a PowerPC emulator. I think what you want is Parallels, a virtual machine program.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

zro
Mac Elite
Sep 24, 2006, 01:10 PM

Where in the world does this happen? Aperture?

iPhoto really saves the images into folders (that it creates automagically) organized by year:month:film roll. Each image is its own individual file, moved (or copied, depending on whether or not the "Delete originals from camera" option is selected) from the camera onto your hard disk.

When you "Save as" you will be prompted for a name and location. You will be warned about replacing an existing file if that same type of file with the same name is in the folder you're saving to. Rename the one you're saving if this isn't desired. Now you have two files, completely separate from each other and what you do to one does not affect the other.

Unless I'm misunderstanding your question.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Sep 24, 2006, 02:28 PM

She felt it was strange the way apple uses one giant file for all pictures downloaded and then you create folders for the pictures but they do not really go in there. So you are not really moving files or copying.
As someone else said, it's not one giant file. It's just the original JPEGs stored in folders which are organized according to the day the photo was taken.

She thought it strange that after you edit a picture and save it, if you delete one, then you lose the other I believe.
Nope, when you edit a photo, it keeps a backup copy of the original. If you want to discard your changes and revert to the original, there's a "Revert to Original" menu item in the Photos menu.

How do you guys handle file management and edited images and file management of them?
Well, I personally use iPhoto, as it's good enough for my needs. iPhoto handles the file management, and the only time I need to deal with the files themselves is when I'm going to either give them to someone or burn a CD of them. This is generally a good thing, since I can be sort of a slob sometimes, and my folder schemes can often degenerate into a huge mess. If I'm just sending a few photos over e-mail, iPhoto has an E-Mail button on it; otherwise, I generally end up dragging the photos to the Desktop or to another Finder window / CD-R / flash drive / whatever, which gets me a nice copy of the photos that I can zip up and give to someone, burn to CD, etc. There's also an Export option in the Share menu which can do the same thing, and it can be handy sometimes since it lets you change the size or format of the exported photos, which can be useful if your intention is to put the photos on the Web.

With all that said, there are a lot of other photo management programs for OS X, as others in the thread have pointed out. What hasn't been pointed out already (unless I missed it) is that OS X comes with another program you can use to get photos from your camera - if you look in the Applications folder, you'll see something called Image Capture. It's very simple compared to iPhoto - if all you want is to grab the images and stick them in your own folder scheme, Image Capture is what you want. Just pick what images you want from the camera, download them wherever, and organize them according to your own scheme.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

zro
Mac Elite
Sep 24, 2006, 05:52 PM

I actually like doing a web album onto CD for sharing. That way the recipient can view ahead of time to pick & choose which images to save locally.

Googer-Giger
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 24, 2006, 06:00 PM

Lol "Normal", nice.
I miss the days of the G5 and XPS Pentium 4 running side by side as high-end machines.

Forum Links
Forum Rules