Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > My Mac Pro CPU's are getting rather hot....

My Mac Pro CPU's are getting rather hot....
macgeek2005
Mac Elite
Oct 11, 2006, 07:38 PM

I'm exporting a 7.57GB 1080p HD quicktime file from AVI to Quicktime Movie.

It's over a third of the way, and has been going for maybe an hour.

Activity monitor says that "QTPlayerHelper" is using up over 300% of my CPU. Temperature monitor says that the temperatures of my 4 cores are 58 C, 67C, 64C and 66C. Actually, just now, as I was writing this, my CPU was massively freed up, the temperatures began dropping, and the Export is speeding up, however I just want to know, is it safe to be at those temperatures for over an hour?

brokenjago
Mac Elite
Oct 11, 2006, 09:29 PM

Yes, 67C is perfectly safe. Start worrying when it gets to 85C.
Linkinus is king.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Oct 11, 2006, 09:36 PM

High 60s is well within the safe zone... thermal throttling doesn't start until the high 80s and the maximum CPU temp is around 100C.

garyton
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 11, 2006, 09:48 PM

I just spoke to a graphic arts student who just recently was working at one of the Apple stores and he was talking about how hot the Mac Pro's run. He told me that some users are placing extra cooling fans in them. He did not explain exactly how they are doing it though.

Naaaaak
Forum Regular
Oct 12, 2006, 12:29 AM

Did you install the fan firmware update? I've never seen one of my cores go above 137F and I have not installed the update. I fear the update would be a typical stupid apple move promoting "quiet" over "usable" even though the fans are pretty much silent as they are.
To be determined later.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Oct 12, 2006, 03:04 AM

Originally Posted by garyton
I just spoke to a graphic arts student who just recently was working at one of the Apple stores and he was talking about how hot the Mac Pro's run. He told me that some users are placing extra cooling fans in them. He did not explain exactly how they are doing it though.
If anything the Mac Pros run cooler than the G5.

Honestly, any high powered computer is going to put out a lot of heat. Putting more cooling fans in won't help with this. It will just blow out the hot air faster.

Internally the Mac Pro's run at a perfectly safe temperature.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

mac128k-1984
Mac Elite
Oct 12, 2006, 06:54 AM

I really haven't noticed my MacPro getting too hot, though I probably don't stress is at much as some. Aperture, Photoshop, iWeb are the most intensive apps I use.
Michael

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Oct 12, 2006, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by goMac
Honestly, any high powered computer is going to put out a lot of heat. Putting more cooling fans in won't help with this. It will just blow out the hot air faster.
Running more cool air over a heatsink causes a greater amount of heat transfer off of the processor, thereby cooling it better.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Oct 12, 2006, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by Gossamer
Running more cool air over a heatsink causes a greater amount of heat transfer off of the processor, thereby cooling it better.
At steady state, the same* amount of heat is removed from the processor; the equilibrium temperature delta is just lower.

* Ok, not exactly the same, since the processors have a lower maximum power burn when their temperature is lower.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Oct 12, 2006, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by Gossamer
Which is why I noted that internally the Mac Pro runs at a safe temperature.

But if he's referring to the amount of hot air being blown out, adding more fans won't help.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

Forum Links
Forum Rules