Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > ordering mac pro in store vs online

ordering mac pro in store vs online
garyton
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 27, 2006, 09:50 PM

I just returned from the apple store and finally my wife is ready to get her new mac pro. I thought I wouldbe able to configure the pro anyway we wanted in the store. Not so. We have to buy the pro the way they offer it or order it online to exactly our specs.
We want the 3 GHZ model, but in the store it only comes with 4-512 dimms for a total of 2 GB of memory. The only HD they offer in that system is one 250GB.
I want 2Gb modules and either 4 GB total or 8Gb. I thought I would start with 4 GB and see if it was enough for her. If not, then I could add more later. The hard drives, I wanted 2 500 GB drives. Is everyone really buying aftermarket owc or crucial memory in 2 GB modules and having no problems?
Do you think their is any downside to ordering it just the way we want online.
The store insinuated that if the box had a real problem we would have to ship it back and they would not have a box to pull out and swap out with us if we brought it in with problems. They did say that if we ordered online, to also order the apple care online and then come into the store and sign up for the pro care and for the .mac deal.
What do you think.
Gary

mduell
Posting Junkie
Oct 27, 2006, 10:07 PM

1) Does she really need 3Ghz? The way the upgrade is priced (+$400 for the chips, +$400 for Apple's pocket), I'd only take it if she's 100% CPU bound or you have an ungodly amount of money.

2) RAM from Crucial and OWC works fine. I prefer Crucial.

3) I think ordering online is a great idea. Amazon has a $150 rebate if you take the 2.66. Otherwise if you take the 3.0 from Apple, I'd downgrade the HDD to 160GB (which saves enough money to buy another 250GB) and order a pair of 500GB (or 750, which are cheaper per GB) from Newegg.

4) AppleCare is a good idea; you can buy it from Amazon or Apple. ProCare may be a good idea; read the website first to see if you'll use the features. .Mac is a scam in my opinion.

Macintosh Sauce
Nov 7, 2006, 01:11 AM

If you want the 3.00 GHz model, I would recommend getting the 160 GB HD with 1 GB RAM configuration. The money you save by choosing the bare minimum components will let you buy more from newegg, etc.

For RAM, I would get either Crucial, or another one is TransIntl. Both companies are great and have lifetime warranties.

HDs - I would recommend Seagate or Western Digital.

justinbaby
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 22, 2006, 10:47 PM

I had the same problem when I went to the local Apple store. I wanted Blue Tooth and a 500 Gig drive and they could not setup that configuration. If you absolutely know what you want, go to apple.com and configure it there. It's easy and you'll get exactly what you want.

brokenjago
Mac Elite
Nov 23, 2006, 07:14 AM

I configured mine at the Apple store online, and other than going through hell to get it shipped on time, it was a flawless experience.
Linkinus is king.

RealMac
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 25, 2006, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by garyton View Post
I just returned from the apple store and finally my wife is ready to get her new mac pro. I thought I wouldbe able to configure the pro anyway we wanted in the store. Not so. We have to buy the pro the way they offer it or order it online to exactly our specs.
We want the 3 GHZ model, but in the store it only comes with 4-512 dimms for a total of 2 GB of memory. The only HD they offer in that system is one 250GB.
I want 2Gb modules and either 4 GB total or 8Gb. I thought I would start with 4 GB and see if it was enough for her. If not, then I could add more later. The hard drives, I wanted 2 500 GB drives. Is everyone really buying aftermarket owc or crucial memory in 2 GB modules and having no problems?
Do you think their is any downside to ordering it just the way we want online.
The store insinuated that if the box had a real problem we would have to ship it back and they would not have a box to pull out and swap out with us if we brought it in with problems. They did say that if we ordered online, to also order the apple care online and then come into the store and sign up for the pro care and for the .mac deal.
What do you think.
Gary
I say that if you want to get the configuration you want, go online. This way your custom configuration remains under warranty for the 3 years you own it, should you choose to get AppleCare on it. You do run that risk of things not working and having to ship it back to apple if there is a problem with the machine. All the desktops I've ordered purchased in the last 6 years have been through the Apple Store online. No major problems with any of the machines. So I'd say the risk is relatively low. Also, take into account cashback options if you go through certain sites like fatwallet.com and discounts that the store provides for businesses, education, etc. Some people really need ProCare. Personally I don't have a need for it. If you want the 'special treatment', by all means go with it.
It is in the moments of decision that your destiny is shaped.
www.therealmac.net
MBA Graduate, Creative Thinker, Nice Guy

tkmd
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 25, 2006, 07:38 PM

Ive bought Apple laptops via 3rd party retailers and my latest edition MP via the Apple on line store. No problems whatsoever - except saving on state tax or having the option of apple student pricing - which comes out to be the same as no state tax.
Pismo 400 | Powerbook 1.5 GHz | MacPro 2.66/6GB/7300GT

memory-minus
Senior User
Nov 27, 2006, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
2) RAM from Crucial and OWC works fine. I prefer Crucial.

3) I think ordering online is a great idea. Amazon has a $150 rebate if you take the 2.66. Otherwise if you take the 3.0 from Apple, I'd downgrade the HDD to 160GB (which saves enough money to buy another 250GB) and order a pair of 500GB (or 750, which are cheaper per GB) from Newegg.

4) AppleCare is a good idea; you can buy it from Amazon or Apple. ProCare may be a good idea; read the website first to see if you'll use the features. .Mac is a scam in my opinion.
I agree with you but these 3 points somewhat conflict with each other. If you fill a Mac Pro with third-party RAM and hard drives, be fully prepared to pull those out at the request of AppleCare tech support because they will blame all third-party hardware first and will often refuse to troubleshoot if the computer contains these parts. You could also lie about it but they will find out when you bring it in to be serviced and you will likely, as I have, receive your third party RAM back separately in an little anti-static bag stapled to a nastygram about how Apple doesn't support third-party hardware.

Point being, if you want to be covered by AppleCare, Just don't sell any Apple equipment you pull out of the computer.

Forum Links
Forum Rules