Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Pro hard drive from apple

Pro hard drive from apple
garyton
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 28, 2006, 12:03 PM

Does anyone know whether the 500 or the 750 GB hard drive is a 16MB cache?
The 250 GB drive is a 8MB cache that comes from apple?
I can't seem to find out the cache size on the optional drives from the apple site.
I plan to add one extra 500 or 750 to match the drive I order with it, but I don't want to pair the stock drive if the cache is 8MB, since I want two drives the same with 16MB cache. I had hoped to add just one extra seagate perpendicular drive with 16MB cache to the factory drive.
My other option would be to upgrade anyway to the 500 and if it is an 8B cache, have that become the third drive as the backup and make my two 500-16MB cache drives as the two working drives.
I know some poeple have said just take the stock 250 GB drive with 8MB cache, but I don't know what I would use it for unless it becomes my backup drive which seems small to be using for that.
Any thoughts?
Thanks

TimmyDee51
Mac Elite
Oct 28, 2006, 12:29 PM

I haven't heard anything, but you could drop by your local Apple Store and see if they have any non-standard configs on display (sometimes they do). Then fire up the System Profiler and see what it says.
Per Square Mile | A blog about density

bowwowman
Mac Elite
Oct 28, 2006, 02:05 PM

why not just order the mac with the stock drive, order some 16mb/cache drives elsewhere, and then sell the stock drive to recoup some of your cash.

Rarely will anyone here recommend buying HDD's (or ram) from apple due to the high prices
Personally I find it hilarious that you have the hots for my gramma. Especially seeins how she is 3x your age, and makes your Brittney-Spears-wannabe 30-something wife look like a rag doll who went thru WWIII with a burning stick of dynamite up her a** :)

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 28, 2006, 02:14 PM

If you care so much about, just buy the machine without the drive and put in your own after-market drives. Besides getting the drives you want, they'll be covered by the (usually 5 year) manufacturer's warranty instead of Apple's 1 year warranty.

Chris

garyton  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 28, 2006, 08:23 PM

I agree with you in that I can replace anything in the box to what I want. I just wanted to avoid having extra new hardware that I do not need.
I figured that if I pull out a new hard drive with 8 MB cache, how marketable is that when everything is now 16MB that everyone wants.
Apple will not let you order or buy the machine without a hard drive as well as with no memory.
The store has a preconfigured 3 Ghz machine with 2 GB ram using 4-512 MB sticks. They will not substitute 1 GB or 2 GB sticks for the same amount of ram. It seems they want to get rid of them. It appears maybe the mard drives are the same.
I guess the best way is to order on line or else you really have to buy what they want to sell you in the store.
Thanks
gary

mac128k-1984
Mac Elite
Oct 28, 2006, 09:25 PM

Why not keep the stock drive in the machine - use it for backups, scratch drives, etc.
Michael

Forum Links
Forum Rules