Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > mac pro work station design

mac pro work station design
garyton
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 1, 2006, 08:44 PM

Could you guys give me some ideas on where you have your monitors and cpu's other than normal? Can a new Mac Pro I am getting for my wife soon be put inside a lower wood cabinet furniture type work station or will there not be enough air flow to keep it cool?
Could a 30 inch apple cinema display be mounted on a wall mounting type bracket or is the best way to have it on the stand right in front of you on the desktop?
My wife wants to create her work station but not have it look like a work station. She previously had a huge Anthro set up and now wants to not see any wires or many of the peripherals.
Any ideas?
Gary

slpdLoad
Mac Elite
Dec 1, 2006, 11:18 PM

Ignoring the spammer....

1) I wouldn't put the Mac Pro in anything that doesn't have an opening in the front and back. The MacPro cools itself by pulling air in the front and exhausting it out the back.

2)The 30" supports the VESA mounting standard, so just look for a VESA bracket or whatever and make sure it can support the weight of the 30".

Cheers

garyton  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 2, 2006, 01:14 AM

Thanks for the reply:
I figured I would need some kind of air flow around the case. Hopefully if she leaves the front door open and it has no back to the cabinet the case should stay cool enough.
The real dilemna is trying to hide two printers, one scanner, a ten port usb hub, wireless router and cable modem, two external hard drives, one external floppy drive, and a external card reader, while hiding all of the cables also. That is what she would like.
While keeping her work station not to look like some massive accumulation of electronic peripherals.
Thanks

Madrag
Senior User
Dec 2, 2006, 11:29 AM

I have my PM G5 DP 2.0 on the floor, leaving enough space on its back so that the air flows well...
As to hide avery cable, I suggest getting one of those tubes sold specifically for that purpose.
Hidding the other gear is trickier, I also would like to hide my multifuncional printer, but as I need to access the scaner and feed the paper, it's very hard and I just have it lying arround non-hidden...
good luck!

slpdLoad
Mac Elite
Dec 2, 2006, 01:30 PM

Yeah go to a local office supply type store and see what they have for cable management. Also, you can get wireless print servers, so that maybe you could move your printers, wireless router, and cable modem to another part of the room, so they would be less associated with the look of the work station.

Edit: Looking through the Setup Picture threads on this forum is a great way to find creative ideas that you can use as inspiration to get the look you want.

Madrag
Senior User
Dec 2, 2006, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by slpdLoad View Post
(...)Looking through the Setup Picture threads on this forum is a great way to find creative ideas that you can use as inspiration to get the look you want.
that's an excelent suggestion!

garyton  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 2, 2006, 05:04 PM

I did a search for setup pictures and got nothing.
Where would I find these?
Are they under Mac Pro as a topic setup pictures or something?
Thanks for help

slpdLoad
Mac Elite
Dec 2, 2006, 05:10 PM

http://forums.macnn.com/65/power-mac...icture-thread/

It's two spots up from this thread, at the moment, or the second Sticky in the Mac Pro forum.

garyton  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 2, 2006, 11:45 PM

Thanks slpload:
I found them.
There are some awesome work stations. They all look like my wife's except more tidy and organized. Many of them look like they are not even used. I have never seen desks that clean. I now accept the fact that you can't hide a large computer work station in a room that has a lot of peripheral stuff.
All you can do is make it look neat and organized.
Thanks

MarkLT1
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 5, 2006, 11:28 AM

garyton-

In terms of cable management, Ikea makes a great product for wire management called the Signum. It is essentially a long narrow wire "basket" that you mount up under the desk. The way the basket is arranged, there are all kinds of hooks, etc.. to run wires through. Additionally, there is enough room in the "basket" that I was able to fit a USB hub, 5 port ethernet switch, and a DSL modem. In addition, I zip-tied my power strips up under the basket, so it is essentially my entire power center/cable organizer/storage.

Forum Links
Forum Rules