Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > when to buy ?

when to buy ?
variozin
Jan 14, 2007, 07:42 PM

Hi,

I am going to buy the black MB this year. But when exactly? I am getting fussy about this question. There are pretty few things that are concerning me.

- When probably its going to be when we see a hardware upgrade on MBs.

- When we would see an OS upgrade in view of that leopard will be out by spring
according to apple. Will it going to be preloaded on apple computers from the time it is
released.

- If I just buy it now with current specs will I be able to upgrade it to leopard with least
expenses.

My purchase criteria is not fixed on any factor, but just the time. If I have to wait long for the preloaded upgrades then I will buy it now else I will wait.

ashley

uicandrew
Senior User
Jan 14, 2007, 10:34 PM

yes, as soon as apple releases leopard, it will come pre-loaded on macs. However, it would also make sense that there would be new hardware to take advantage of the software.

i anticipate that the next macbook or macbook pro will have more flash memory built-in so they will start up faster, and have a better battery life. Samsung already said that apple turned down their hybrid hard drives, so it is feasible that it will be built-into the motherboard.

Vista will have the "readyboost" feature, so i can't see apple resting on their laurels and letting MS having an advantage over their OS.

I just bought a core2duo macbook last week because there aren't any new chips on the horizon. (it is one of the great things about going from power pc to Intel..... apple can't surprise you with chips) in fact, apple was slow to the market with the core 2 duo chips. the other computer companies had the slower (sub 2.0ghz) core2duo chips before apple came out with them. Apple waited until there were many higher-end 2.16/2.33ghz chips before updating the pro line.

i'm hoping/praying that Leopard will be able to support the hybrid hard drives so i can simply swap my hard drive (since they use the same connectors without having to buy a new laptop, but that wouldn't add to apple's bottom line.

given that even the G3 firewire can run tiger without any iminent new intel chips on the horizon, i'm confident the macbook core2duo will run leopard great. otherwise, apple users would revolt.
Mac User since Summer 2005 (started with G4 mini bought from macnn forums!)

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jan 14, 2007, 10:53 PM

Hardware upgrade: Santa Rosa (faster FSB, more memory, flash acceleration) will be released in March or April; I expect Apple will adopt it and start shipping immediately.

Software upgrade: Leopard will be released in March or April; will ship on new Macs immediately.

Upgrading a machine you buy today to Leopard is $129.

///Milien
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 15, 2007, 11:29 PM

I am hoping that Apple upgrades the MacBook in March/April. I am holding off buying one to see what Apple is going to do, along with the release of Leopard.
 Mac Pro 8-Core 2.26GHz Xeon | 12GB RAM | 2.5TB HDD | ATI Radeon HD 4870 | 24" LED Cinema Display
 Mac mini [Unibody] 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo | 8GB RAM | 500GB Seagate Momentus XT Hybrid HDD | 24" LED Cinema Display
 MacBook Air 1.6GHz Core 2 Duo | 4GB RAM | 256GB SDD
Too many accessories to list...

variozin  (op)
Jan 17, 2007, 09:55 AM

thanks a lot guys for your opinions and info...
it gve me good insight of the situation .

but didnt give me happiness, as now I am left with
nothing but to wait

lets see how much I can hold against my desire to grab the black c2d MB asap..

dixeyk
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 17, 2007, 10:29 AM

I don't know that you'll see a lot of big changes in the next hardware rev of the macbook. After all, the current crop of macbooks got Core 2 Duo (64 bit chip) and 80211.n wireless . I think you might see a speed bump but I don't know that it will be significant. The problem I have with waiting is that you can find yourself never making a move because the next update is just around the corner.

I say if you need something it go ahead and get the blackbook. They are very nice machines and enjoy it.

Kevin

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jan 17, 2007, 09:07 PM

The next laptop hardware upgrade after Santa Rosa would be the new Penryn CPUs in the 4th (or maaaaaybe 3rd) quarter.

variozin  (op)
Jan 17, 2007, 10:19 PM

Its not the hardware which I am much concerned about. But, its the OS X 10.5

I have really not much idea about how good is leopard over tiger, since I am going to be the new comer to the macintosh. I have been using Windows all my life and havent seen mac anywhere around me here in Asia.

I guess its not a wonderful idea to have an OS which is going to be off the lead within a month or two.

dixeyk
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 18, 2007, 01:29 AM

Is it the fact that you'll have to upgrade the OS when Leopard comes out or are you concerned that the macbook won't be up to the task of running leopard?

I would be REALLY surprised if Leopard would not run on the current macbooks. The C2D is a 64 bit chip. I can run Tiger on my original 466mhz ibook with 1gb RAM and a 40gb HD. It actually runs pretty well for a computer that I bought in 1999. If I had to take a guess it would be that the current macbook will do a great job running Leopard.

If its the cost of upgrading...

Kevin

variozin  (op)
Jan 18, 2007, 03:01 AM

Yes, c2d MBs are capable of leopard...

And I think I will wait till the launch of it...

Forum Links
Forum Rules