Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Trying to digitize audio cassettes...having trouble finding a tape player for it...

Trying to digitize audio cassettes...having trouble finding a tape player for it...
STAT
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 7, 2007, 03:28 AM

I used to have no problem at all digitizing audio cassette tapes by putting them in my Pioneer shelf system and running audio out of that and into my PowerBook G4. HOWEVER...for some reason tonight, my cassette players on the Pioneer aren't working. So I went and bought a $5 portable cassette player at Walmart thinking that'd work. Apparently not because when I run a male/male cord between the headphone jack on the portable tape player and the Audio In jack on my PowerBook, it doesn't work. Anyone know why that isn't working and what the cheapest tape player solution that WILL work is? Thanks so much.
Apple user since 1987

onlyone-jc
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 7, 2007, 05:31 AM

There is no reason why that shouldn't work. Check the cable, make sure the output volume on the cassette player is all the way up, open System Preferences, Sound, Input. Then, make sure that the input is set to Line-In, and that the input sensitivity is set accordingly. Your Pioneer system may have given you a much better signal strength. So, it's worth a look.

Good luck,
onlyone-jc.

Macola
Mac Elite
Mar 7, 2007, 10:41 AM

I picked up a tape player for about $20 on eBay to do exactly what you're describing. Having RCA outputs will give you much better results.
I do not like those green links and spam.
I do not like them, Sam I am.

skybolt
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 7, 2007, 10:43 AM

I'd like to ask STAT what probgram he/she is using to actually record the tapes. I want to do this also, and just can't figure out the best software to use. I have used Wire Tap, but wondered if there is something better. I'd also like to separate the tracks out so that I can properly label them in iTunes. Any advice as to how to do this easily is really appreciated! Thanks!
Mary

STAT  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 7, 2007, 03:57 PM

I use SoundStudio to record and edit, then SoundConverter to change file format types. I also have AudioCorder and tried to see if that'd work in this case, but it did not. Has to be something with the tape player. I tried adjusting the volume and levels...no change. Maybe the portable player just doesn't have enough juice, I dunno.
Apple user since 1987

Forum Links
Forum Rules