Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > battery backup for new Mac Pro dual quad

battery backup for new Mac Pro dual quad
garyton
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 31, 2007, 09:28 PM

My wife just took delivery of her new Pro dual Quad core 3Ghz with the ATI 1900 XT card and 4 GB memory. She has the 30" cinema display along with all the extra stuff. She got it with 2 750 Gig hard drives and one dvd burner and the airport extreme. What a nine machine. She is just getting started with it and switching over from using a PC to a Mac.
I want to protect the system and set up a backup power supply that regulates the power and I plan to add a Panamax surge protector but I am not current on which model APC battery backup would be adequate for her system. WDo any of you know what wattage Smart UPS backup would be adequate for her system?
Also I have a question regarding her web work: She recently tried to upload some date to a web site from her old PC using her new Airport Exreme Router which she is using now with both systems. It would not upload. She needed to hook up her old D-Link Router to upload the data. Does this have something to do with the IP address or the routers being different? What does she need to do so that both computers will work with the new router?
Thanks Gary

bearcatrp
Senior User
Jun 1, 2007, 08:31 AM

The APC should be big enough to have time to properly shut down your system when the power goes off. My APC (APC 1500 XS) has a 45 minute time frame and set to automatically shut down with 15 minutes left of battery life. You want one big enough to handle the mac pro, monitor and anything else you want plugged in. Look at the max energy use of what you plan on plugging in, then check out the web sites of the APC your interested in and look at what each will consume on battery power.
Don't own a airport router so can't help you there but think you missed a step setting it up.
Randy
2010 Mac Mini, 32GB iPod Touch, 2 Apple TV (1)
Home built 12 core 2.93 Westmere PC (almost half the cost of MP) Win7 64.

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 1, 2007, 10:16 AM

The larger the UPS volt-amp capacity, the more time you'll have to shut down. Note that volt-amps is NOT watts-it's about 1.14X the power rating. In other words, a 1000 V-A UPS has a power rating of about 700 W. Almost all UPS boxes will show both items on their labels (though watts may be in small type). I always recommend getting at least 10% more capacity than you "need," and then go as high as you can afford. I'm running a PC with a 450W power supply and a 17" flat panel on a 500 V-A ups; it works fine. For a Mac Pro with a flat panel, I'd suggest a 1000 V-A ups (a "known brand like APC or Tripplite) for two reasons: more time to finish work and shut down, and better regulation (because putting less load on the battery means less factors that can alter the UPS's output).

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules