Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > OS 10.5.5 only in SW Update

OS 10.5.5 only in SW Update
aehaas
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 15, 2008, 04:24 PM

I cannot find a full download, any help?

aehaas
MBP 3.06 8G RAM 500G HD, 8 core 3.0 8G RAM 8800GT all OEM Apple. Where to buy Polarion HID Searchlights
Home Inspection, whole house approach, Sarasota Home Inspections, we are your investigators.

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Sep 15, 2008, 04:34 PM

Wait a few hours until they post the downloads on apple.com.
Vandelay Industries

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 15, 2008, 04:41 PM

Ooooh. Obligatory "Updating now".

Updated 2nd MacBook, double reboot. Seed 9F33.

All is fine.
( Last edited by seanc; Sep 15, 2008 at 05:00 PM. )

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Sep 15, 2008, 05:00 PM

got it. SU popped up at 445pm today, told me i HAVE TO update, so i obeyed...
( Last edited by fisherKing; Sep 15, 2008 at 06:12 PM. )
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

Don Pickett
Professional Poster
Sep 15, 2008, 05:46 PM

Fly, my little guinea pigs. Update and tell me what happens!
The era of anthropomorphizing hardware is over.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 15, 2008, 05:55 PM

Anyone else noticing that everything looks crisper and richer?

gear: MBP and 23'' Cinema

sek929
Posting Junkie
Sep 15, 2008, 05:59 PM

Everything is in working order over here. I can't see a difference (20" C2D iMac)

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 15, 2008, 06:02 PM

The colors seem to pop more, and are more, er, "true" Maybe my color profiles were off, and this update fixed em?

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 15, 2008, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by brassplayersrock² View Post
Anyone else noticing that everything looks crisper and richer?

gear: MBP and 23'' Cinema
There could be some merit to that because they included graphics updates. I'm seeing nothing over here.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Sep 15, 2008, 06:11 PM

Actually, now that you mention it, my second 17" display looks a hell of a lot nicer than it used to. As far as I can see my main display is the same.

hookem2oo7
Senior User
Sep 15, 2008, 06:13 PM

lol, SU beachballed when I clicked "Install 1 Item"

let's try that again...

64stang06
Mac Elite
Sep 15, 2008, 06:17 PM

MacBook Pro 13" 2.8GHz Core i7/8GB RAM/750GB Hard Drive - Mac OS X 10.7.3

frdmfghtr
Senior User
Sep 15, 2008, 07:59 PM

I'll be the first to say that something's busted here.

When Time Machine tries to start a backup, I get the following error message in the Console:

"Sep 15 18:56:16 Macintosh /System/Library/CoreServices/backupd[282]: Volume at path /Volumes/Time Capsule-1 does not appear to be the correct backup volume for this computer. (Cookies do not match)"

This is the first time I had a point update not work the first time.

Anybody know what this cookie is and if deleting it will bring TM back into line?

EDIT: Solved. I found this in the Apple Discussion forums. It guided my repair effort.

--In the Time Machine preferences, change disk selection to "none."
--Reboot
--After rebooting, re-select the backup volume in the Time Machine preferences.

That seems to have worked. Time Machine is doing a deep transversal now and appears on the path to success. I hope the 10.5.5 bug fixes finally wring out Time Machine. I am quite tired of my Time Machine/Time Capsule backups breaking after a month or two requiring a fresh start.
( Last edited by frdmfghtr; Sep 15, 2008 at 08:22 PM. )

bearcatrp
Senior User
Sep 15, 2008, 09:05 PM

This update nuked my mac pro. Everything came to a crawl. Beach balls up the kazoo. Reinstalling my backup. Anyone else have a problem with this update?
2010 Mac Mini, 32GB iPod Touch, 2 Apple TV (1)
Home built 12 core 2.93 Westmere PC (almost half the cost of MP) Win7 64.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Sep 15, 2008, 09:19 PM

Well, supposed graphics improvements notwithstanding, it didn't fix the NVidia lockup problem on my MBP.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

dru
Senior User
Sep 15, 2008, 09:23 PM

Seems OK here - so far.
20" iMac C2D/2.4GHz 3GB RAM 10.6.8 (10H549)

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 15, 2008, 10:50 PM

Regarding the Combo Update, any idea why the requirement for 10.5.1 instead of 10.5 ??

64stang06
Mac Elite
Sep 16, 2008, 12:12 AM

Originally Posted by angelmb View Post

Regarding the Combo Update, any idea why the requirement for 10.5.1 instead of 10.5 ??
Weird, didn't catch that. Nice find!
MacBook Pro 13" 2.8GHz Core i7/8GB RAM/750GB Hard Drive - Mac OS X 10.7.3

ginoledesma
Mac Elite
Sep 16, 2008, 01:26 AM

This came in at a hefty 321MB for me. Seems like we're creeping towards CD-sized patches soon enough.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Sep 16, 2008, 01:30 AM

I still wonder why Software Update takes so long to search for updates ever since Leopard, whereas it took less than 15 seconds in Tiger. Any chance that's been improved in 10.5.5?

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Don Pickett
Professional Poster
Sep 16, 2008, 01:36 AM

Originally Posted by 64stang06 View Post
601 MB? Holy mother of bandwidth.

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Sep 16, 2008, 01:41 AM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
I still wonder why Software Update takes so long to search for updates ever since Leopard, whereas it took less than 15 seconds in Tiger. Any chance that's been improved in 10.5.5?
It's the opposite for me. It's way faster in Leopard. I manage 300+ computers and therefore run SU a lot.
Vandelay Industries

himself
Mac Elite
Sep 16, 2008, 01:54 AM

Originally Posted by Don Pickett View Post
601 MB? Holy mother of bandwidth.
Damn. I get 136MB in Software Update on my Mac Pro, so I think I'll go that route and save a little bandwidth and time over the combo update...
"Bill Gates can't guarantee Windows... how can you guarantee my safety?"
-John Crichton

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Sep 16, 2008, 02:11 AM

Originally Posted by Art Vandelay View Post
It's the opposite for me. It's way faster in Leopard. I manage 300+ computers and therefore run SU a lot.
That's very weird then. It takes roughly 35 seconds on my G5, which is a lot slower than I remember Tiger's SU taking.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Don Pickett
Professional Poster
Sep 16, 2008, 03:17 AM

Updated with no problems. Everything's flying along.

TheoCryst
Mac Elite
Sep 16, 2008, 03:25 AM

Updated on my 1st gen MacBook. No problems so far. Currently trying to make a Time Machine backup, and it's taking for-freaking-ever. It isn't puking on the Console though, so whatever. Bed now, backup overnight, hopefully be fine by morning.

Other than that, no real improvements or new issues. Wait, that's not true, they seem to have fixed a pet peeve of mine with iCal - the Today button would often fail to enable/disable itself properly. Seems to be working properly now. Sweet.

Any ramblings are entirely my own, and do not represent those of my employers, coworkers, friends, or species

voicebox
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 16, 2008, 04:27 AM

Everything working OK here, although as always on these occasions I bypassed Software Update and installed the Combo Update.
"If you don't like the heat, don't go in the kitchen!"
17" Core2duo MacBook Pro 2.4Ghz 4Gb/160HD Snow Leopard 10.6.8 || 15" PowerBook 1Gz 1Gb/120 HD Tiger 10.4.11|| 24" iMac 3.06Gz 4Gb/2TB HD Yosemite10.10.2

DarkStarRed
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 16, 2008, 04:46 AM

Everything working fine here & Sync discovered 1 issue for Birthdays in iCal+MobileMe I just selected iCal's info
re-synced (even though the info presented where the same?) checked to see MobileMe, alright & easier to add calendars & have that info sync.
I noticed that their using something called MenuCracker within the install to over-ride menu-files now.

B Gallagher
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 16, 2008, 06:39 AM

Working fine here. Time Machine seems to appear/disappear faster.
MBP 15" C2D 2.2GHz 4.0GB 500GB@5400
iPhone 4 32GB Black

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 16, 2008, 07:51 AM

ooooooooo yay! X11 and it's apps got upgraded!!

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 16, 2008, 08:12 AM

I still wonder why Software Update takes so long to search for updates ever since Leopard, whereas it took less than 15 seconds in Tiger.
I second this.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Sep 16, 2008, 08:32 AM

Update went smooth here.

Originally Posted by Apple Knowledge Base
Mail
• Addresses stability issues that may occur when dragging a file to the Mail icon in the Dock.
This one has me up and jumping!

Simon
Posting Junkie
Sep 16, 2008, 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by Big Mac
I still wonder why Software Update takes so long to search for updates ever since Leopard, whereas it took less than 15 seconds in Tiger.
Originally Posted by Dakar V View Post
I second this.
Thirded. It took >30s here.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Sep 16, 2008, 09:20 AM

Also, 10.5.5 seems to have ironed out a lot of bugs in X11. Window focus is much improved.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 16, 2008, 10:14 AM

Weird, didn't catch that. Nice find!
Well, I guess it could be a typo since here it says…

The combo update lets you update from Mac OS X 10.5, 10.5.1, 10.5.2, 10.5.3 or 10.5.4 to 10.5.5.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Sep 16, 2008, 10:19 AM

Apple's updates are scaring me more and more.

Waiting for my full system backup (in addition to my Time Machine backup) before I attempt a OS X 10.5.5 / iPhone 2.1 / iTunes 8 install.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Sep 16, 2008, 12:26 PM

I've noticed that too. It takes at least 2 times as long to search for new software as my G4 with Tiger did.

FireWire
Mac Elite
Sep 16, 2008, 01:53 PM

¡Maldición! The one time I don't obey my rules ("If it ain't broke, don't fix it" and "always wait at least a week after a new upgrade to apply it"), something happened... I didn't have any problem so far; every other updates went smoothly. I had repaired the permissions and performed a fsck prior to upgrading. The Software Update was painfully slow (estimated time: 10 hours for 136 MB), so I downloaded the standalone installer from Apple's website. As their servers were pretty slow also, I opted for the non-combo updater, against my instinct, as it was smaller... After it was finished installing, I clicked on Restart and the screen became garbled with noise, then I couldn't do nothing. I waited a few minutes to be sure it wasn't doing something in the background then I force restarted. Upon restart, I found my desktop to look like this:

Luckily, I could "remove" most of it (temporarily) by clicking on the menus and on files. I then downloaded the Combo updater and installed it. It seemed fine for a few minutes then the noise came back. As it was late I went to sleep, and when I woke up this morning, the noise had disappeared and didn't come back since (yet).

One thing I found suspicious while applying the update is that normally the installer closes everything then it performs the installation just before restarting, so I'm locked out of my account and nothing else runs in the background (just a blue screen). This time it just installed it without closing anything.

[Update] I finally had to archive-and-install 10.5 from my up-to-date DVD. I decided to try the 10.5.5 Combo updater again to see if the problem would reproduce. It did, so I reinstalled 10.5 and updated to 10.5.4, and everything runs fine, except for a strange bug in iCal.
( Last edited by FireWire; Sep 17, 2008 at 12:40 AM. )

ginoledesma
Mac Elite
Sep 16, 2008, 01:57 PM

Anyone notice that Mac OS X 10.5.5 Display prefs now show the option of displaying 256 colors again? I don't recall it being in earlier releases. Wonder if that's meant for really older games.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 16, 2008, 01:59 PM

If that means I can play EV Nova on my MacBook I'll be pleased.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Sep 16, 2008, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by ginoledesma View Post
Anyone notice that Mac OS X 10.5.5 Display prefs now show the option of displaying 256 colors again? I don't recall it being in earlier releases. Wonder if that's meant for really older games.
I don't see how it could, since Leopard for some unfathomable reason doesn't include Classic support, even on PowerPC machines.

AFAIK, EV Nova has always worked fine in millions of colors on Intel machines (it does on mine, at least). I expect it will continue to do so until Apple removes Rosetta support from the OS (and I'm sure they will, and probably sooner rather than later. This is Apple we're talking about).

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 16, 2008, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by CharlesS View Post
AFAIK, EV Nova has always worked fine in millions of colors on Intel machines (it does on mine, at least). I expect it will continue to do so until Apple removes Rosetta support from the OS (and I'm sure they will, and probably sooner rather than later. This is Apple we're talking about).
There's a whole slew of MacBook users who were left out in the cold. Check the Ambrosia forums if you don't believe me.

Edit: I may be thinking of thousand color mode here. Not sure, my MacBook isn't with me.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Sep 16, 2008, 03:28 PM

Ah, you're right. Apparently Nova needs to be set to Thousands, and the drivers for the integrated graphics chipsets didn't support Thousands mode. Huh.

I don't think there's ever been a game for OS X that need to run in 256 colors, though. That seems more like Classic to me. OS X's windows don't even display right in 256 colors (and in the really early versions of OS X, window backgrounds that were supposed to be white would often turn black in 256 color mode, rendering text unreadable).

Don Pickett
Professional Poster
Sep 16, 2008, 05:38 PM

Ah, you're right. Apparently Nova needs to be set to Thousands, and the drivers for the integrated graphics chipsets didn't support Thousands mode. Huh.

I don't think there's ever been a game for OS X that need to run in 256 colors, though. That seems more like Classic to me. OS X's windows don't even display right in 256 colors (and in the really early versions of OS X, window backgrounds that were supposed to be white would often turn black in 256 color mode, rendering text unreadable).
They're not the only ones. ATI's X800 drivers don't support 256 colors.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 16, 2008, 10:14 PM

I was always bugged by the fact that when logging into vista in bootcamp that I'd be able to use my apple bluetooth keyboard right away to log in, no connection waiting; this wasn't so when going into osx. would have to wait for almost a minute before they paired and was able to log in. Now there's no wait.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Sep 17, 2008, 02:33 AM

Originally Posted by ginoledesma View Post
The option is now there indeed. But it's grayed out (MBP, 23" ACD).

P
Sep 17, 2008, 04:06 AM

That was actually from OS 9.1. One of the Quickdraw rules is that the first two colors in any custom palette should be white and black. This was not enforced until OS 9.1, where Apple decided to be nasty and enforce it, always assuming that the first two colors were black and white and acting as if they were. Apps that didn't follow this got bad graphics (SMAC is one, even in its Carbon version). They relented in 9.2.1, but kept the 9.1 behavior in OS X.

EV and EVO require 256 color mode, while EVN requires Thousands mode as you say.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Sep 17, 2008, 04:29 AM

Originally Posted by P View Post
They relented in 9.2.1, but kept the 9.1 behavior in OS X.
Interesting factoid.

Ted L. Nancy
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 17, 2008, 01:18 PM

All good except one app that I use to auto mount volumes (called MountWatcher) is dead.
10.7.1 on Mac Pro 8x2.8

Forum Links
Forum Rules