Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > Mediakit reports no such partition

Mediakit reports no such partition
PartisanEntity
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 14, 2008, 09:37 AM

I have Leopard and Ubuntu installed side by side on my MacBook. I am running out of space on Leopard and wanted to free up some space.

So I loaded the Live version of Ubuntu and made the native Ubuntu partition smaller.

I then restarted and loaded the Disk Utility from the Leopard installation CD and tried to make my Leopard partition larger, however after I click 'Apply', a message comes up saying: Mediakit reports no such partition.

Anyone know what the issue could be? Why can I not add the free space to the Leopard partition?

Thank you!
Ubuntu User & Mac Newbie

Cold Warrior
Sep 21, 2008, 10:40 AM

Run Disk Utility (again from the install CD/DVD) to 'repair disk' and see if that helps.

hookem2oo7
Senior User
Sep 21, 2008, 10:48 AM

unless the Ubuntu utility was aware of both the GUID and the MBR partition tables that boot camp creates, you now have mismatched tables. Disk Utility sees the GUID table and still thinks the Ubuntu partition is still its original size, while the MBR table is pointing toward free space and a smaller Ubuntu partition. I ran into a similar problem trying to resize my Windows partition. I ended up having to use boot camp assistant to delete the boot camp partition and start from scratch.

Forum Links
Forum Rules