Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > A strange thing about Apple's new notebook line

A strange thing about Apple's new notebook line
Super Mario
Oct 17, 2008, 08:47 AM

Looks like Apple is more interested in catering for the iTunes Store video sales now by going glossy across their whole notebook range. Before I would always buy a MacBook Pro for mobile workstation use though I would always have to plug in a pro monitor like an Ezio or LaCie for color checking because the MBP frankly hasn't got good support for a large color gamut without dithering tricks. Before if I wanted a simple general purpose use laptop then I'd pick up a cheap Windows computer.

Now things are the opposite way around. If I want a mobile workstation the new MBP is totally useless compared to say the new Dell Precision M6400. The MBP is too thin (so gets too hot at the surface), underpowered by comparison, can't handle enough RAM and the screen can't compare. I'm amazed Apple has decided to shun heavy duty graphics designers with their "Pro" laptops. BUT as I said, things are the opposite way around now so if I want a general purpose machine now I'd get the new vanilla MacBook. Pro wise however I'm getting the Precision M6400 which is going to be amazing with Creative Suite CS4 and the Nvidia CUDA plugin for Photoshop! 64bit CS4 can access all 8GB that I'm going to have installed but I can also upgrade to 16GB later. No more need for a scratch disk either
( Last edited by Super Mario; Feb 2, 2018 at 08:10 AM. )

Atheist
Mac Elite
Oct 17, 2008, 08:52 AM

I share your concern but I'm going to hold out on a purchase for a couple of months to see if they update the 17" MBP. The Dell M6400 is an awesome machine and right now is the only true desktop replacement out there. I've seen one running Leopard and it was tempting to say the least.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Oct 17, 2008, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by Super Mario View Post
Looks like Apple is more interested in catering for the iTunes Store video sales now by going glossy across their whole notebook range. Before I would always buy a MacBook Pro for mobile workstation use though I would always have to plug in a pro monitor like an Ezio or LaCie for color checking because the MBP frankly hasn't got good support for a large color gamut without dithering tricks.
As I understand it, it didn't before this update either, so I fail to see your point.

The MBP is too thin (so gets too hot at the surface)
I guess I'm feeding the troll, but this much, at least, is completely untrue, based on everything I've read so far.

The new MacBook Pros run much COOLER than the old ones did, probably due to the new unibody being a vastly better heatsink and dissipating the heat far more evenly than the old, thin-metal-sheet approach, which created local hot-spots.

Super Mario  (op)
Oct 17, 2008, 09:04 AM

As I understand it, it didn't before this update either, so I fail to see your point.
But the MBP's screen was easier without being glossy. If I was worried about color banding I would check with a curves layer in Photoshop, and then make final corrections later on a pro monitor. I can't rely on the curves with a glossy screen. It's one step too far from professional use.

Originally Posted by analogika View Post
The new MacBook Pros run much COOLER than the old ones did, probably due to the new unibody being a vastly better heatsink and dissipating the heat far more evenly than the old, thin-metal-sheet approach, which created local hot-spots.
"Much" is an exaggeration. In general use lightweight users will probably not see a difference in heat output but when handling 200MB Photoshop images the situation is very different if a laptop is very thin. If it is on your lap you will feel the heat. Even on the desk I would worry about the effect of the heat on the longevity of the components. A Pro/mobile workstation should not have to indulge the stylish by being thin, but be thick enough to be practical so that it can contain the highest performing components such as a quad-core CPU and Quadro GPU. Apple can do this but if half the Pro range has already gone slimmer and with a glossy screen I can't see the 17" model coming close to the performance of the Dell Precision's hardware specs, not to mention Adobe has let down Mac users by not coming out with a 64bit version of Photoshop to take advantage of lots of memory.

If I had the choice I would be Mac on this one. But there is no choice.
( Last edited by Super Mario; Jan 10, 2018 at 02:32 PM. )

analogika
Posting Junkie
Oct 17, 2008, 09:05 AM

Are you ranting about the new machines vs. the old?

The new machines run cooler than the old ones did.

Or are you just ranting in hopes of stirring up some ****?

Honest question.

Super Mario  (op)
Oct 17, 2008, 09:10 AM

I'm sorry but you put a very slim laptop to use for heavy duty Photoshopping and the heat will build up too much no matter what type of heatsink you think they are using. I don't want my hardware or my lap getting damaged from the heat. There's no reason for a mobile workstation to get thinner and thinner and then come out with a glossy screen.
( Last edited by Super Mario; Jan 10, 2018 at 02:17 PM. )

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 17, 2008, 11:06 AM

** Rant towards all what really matters is computer power **

In an age when good, clean design is often overshadowed by computer generated gewgaws, superfluous visual elements and more special effects than a Hollywood blockbuster*, all you (not pointing to super mario but people in general) ask is a damn faster n-core computer with 8 GB RAM just to be able to run a 64 bits suite app cause it is the latest and greatest… Like that would help you to be a better designer. I recently had a chat with a well known graphic designer (I am going to avoid any mention to him or his work) and he still runs some (by today standards) old piece of software on an older, less powerful Mac than what I got, but you know what?, he is a heck of a designer, I wished I was half the great he is.

* Pretty much like the horrid CS3 packaging no matter the prizes it got where the beautiful CS4 packaging well could be designed with CS alone. Do we agree ??

analogika
Posting Junkie
Oct 17, 2008, 11:19 AM

I'm sorry but you put a very slim laptop to use for heavy duty Photoshopping and the heat will build up too much no matter what type of heatsink you think they are using. I don't want my hardware or my lap getting damaged from the heat. There's no reason for a mobile workstation to get thinner and thinner and then come out with a glossy screen.

Or are you just ranting in hopes of stirring up some ****?

Honest question.

Super Mario  (op)
Oct 17, 2008, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by angelmb View Post
** Rant towards all what really matters is computer power **

In an age when good, clean design is often overshadowed by computer generated gewgaws, superfluous visual elements and more special effects than a Hollywood blockbuster*, all you (not pointing to super mario but people in general) ask is a damn faster n-core computer with 8 GB RAM just to be able to run a 64 bits suite app cause it is the latest and greatest… Like that would help you to be a better designer.
Puleeze with cliches and religious devotion. I work with some of the top fashion and sports brands. I know good design when I see it. The MBP has good design at the expense of performance, slimness at the expense of performance, a glossy reflective screen at the expense of performance and productivity. It was bearable before with the matte screens but now it has gone too far and no longer deserves the Pro monicker.

The Dell Precision M6400 (Covet Edition) was designed by the thoroughly talented folk behind Softimage for a balance of style and very high end mobile workstation performance. There isn't a mobile workstation that comes close to how productive it can be with Creative Suite 4 and any other application that can take advantage of a quad-core CPU, a 1GB Quadro 3700M and the best ever notebook screen.

( Last edited by Super Mario; Jan 10, 2018 at 02:18 PM. )

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Oct 17, 2008, 12:02 PM

Are you just running commercials for Dell now?

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 17, 2008, 12:08 PM

That thing is a tank.

Super Mario  (op)
Oct 17, 2008, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
I'm actually going from a Mac to a Dell. It's so strange but I'll report how it goes after I get it and take it through its paces

Super Mario  (op)
Oct 17, 2008, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by Dakar V View Post
That thing is a tank.
Exactly. I'd love a MacBook Tank Pro but Apple thinks I want diet laptops.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 17, 2008, 12:17 PM

The majority of Apple customers want thin and lightweight, so they'd be right.

The 17" not enough of a tank for you?

Super Mario  (op)
Oct 17, 2008, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by Dakar V View Post
The 17" not enough of a tank for you?
No way!

It's not quad-core
It doesn't support up to 16GB RAM
It doesn't have a 1GB Quadro 3700M
It doesn't have built in eSATA port
Doesn't support dual hard drives
Adobe hasn't got a 64bit version of CS4 coming for the Mac yet
And most importantly, the Dell has a 17" edge-to-edge screen that supports 100% Adobe RGB color gamut. I don't have to buy an external monitor for color correction

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 17, 2008, 12:24 PM

Apparently, you misunderstood the usage of the term tank.

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Oct 17, 2008, 12:35 PM

As does the majority of users. Personally I want a smaller lighter laptop. Makes sense a laptop is a mobil computer and size/weight makes a huge difference. The last thing I want to do is lug that beast of a laptop you have pictured.

As with anything one size does not fit all, if you feel a dell is a better fit, good luck, just don't slam apple because your needs are out of the mainstream (wanting a bigger heavier machine)
~Mike

moep
Senior User
Oct 17, 2008, 12:51 PM

Thanks for reminding me that this forum has a ignore function.

You, troll, may now continue to praise your $4.5k 9lbs Windows Vista DTR in this Apple Notebook forum.
"The road to success is dotted with the most tempting parking spaces."

Super Mario  (op)
Oct 17, 2008, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by Maflynn View Post
As with anything one size does not fit all, if you feel a dell is a better fit, good luck, just don't slam apple because your needs are out of the mainstream (wanting a bigger heavier machine)
I'm amazed how people continually get more and more blindsided when it comes to debates about religion, politics, brands, etc. To the contrary I said that the MacBooks and MacBook Pros now represent a mainstream notebook line and no longer caters for the hardcore Pro fringe. Read my first post before thinking in terms of brand-religion.
( Last edited by Super Mario; Jan 10, 2018 at 02:19 PM. )

bballe336
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 17, 2008, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
No, he's being realistic. The new machines can hardly be considered professional.

moep
Senior User
Oct 17, 2008, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by bballe336 View Post
No, he's being realistic. The new machines can hardly be considered professional.
Why? Just because of the glossy screen?
The MBP was never on the bleeding edge in terms of performance. There were always faster notebooks out there, mainly humongous Desktop Replacement Machines with Desktop CPUs and 30min - 1hr of battery life under full load.
"The road to success is dotted with the most tempting parking spaces."

Super Mario  (op)
Oct 17, 2008, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by moep View Post
Why? Just because of the glossy screen?
The MBP was never on the bleeding edge in terms of performance.
Not true! In fact there was a time when the MBP ran Windows and most apps faster than other brand name laptops did!
( Last edited by Super Mario; Jan 10, 2018 at 02:20 PM. )

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 17, 2008, 02:12 PM

Puleeze with cliches and religious devotion.
So I have to understand I am a better designer in front of my Mac Pro than in front of my MDD G4 running FreeHand, imagine that. I utterly disagree. I better forget to mention the 24" iMac cause it comes with a glossy screen, oh what was Apple thinking !?

As for "religious devotion", that makes me laugh. I post my opinion, and so do you. I wasn't picking on you, as stated before. So take in consideration to avoid comments like that which was completely uncalled for.

I work with some of the top fashion and sports brands. I know good design when I see it.
The previous MacBook Pro looks 'cheap' in comparison to the new MacBook Pro, what could be said about that DELL laptop?

The MBP has good design at the expense of performance, slimness at the expense of performance, a glossy reflective screen at the expense of performance and productivity. It was bearable before with the matte screens but now it has gone too far and no longer deserves the Pro monicker.
Well, so in your opinion or research what kind of people is buying it… fashion victims?, I know about a certain agency which has ordered a bunch of them here in their Spanish offices, it's just a pity we have to wait longer than you americans with no known reason.

The graphic design world had overcome way worse things than glossy displays.

The Dell Precision M6400 (Covet Edition) was designed by the thoroughly talented folk behind Softimage…
Behind… a 3D software app?, I am so confused about such sentence it yells to me 'mastering a software package makes you a wonderful designer', damn computers, you have to spend less time in front of them and try to design "the classic way". Try it, you may like it.

for a balance of style and very high end mobile workstation performance. There isn't a mobile workstation that comes close to how productive it can be with Creative Suite 4 …
Productive as… generator of ideas?, the workstation itself?? Are we still confusing creativity with pure raw power?

I have to admit I don't follow the PC world, but last time I checked most optimizers from the UGRA (Association for the Promotion of Research in the Graphic Arts Industry) were Mac OS based only, I guess that also counts as being productive.

Super Mario  (op)
Oct 17, 2008, 02:32 PM

So I have to understand I am a better designer in front of my Mac Pro than in front of my MDD G4 running FreeHand, imagine that. I utterly disagree. I better forget to mention the 24" iMac cause it comes with a glossy screen, oh what was Apple thinking !?
heh?

The previous MacBook Pro looks 'cheap' in comparison to the new MacBook Pro, what could be said about that DELL laptop?
I think all three look good.

Well, so in your opinion or research what kind of people is buying it… fashion victims?, I know about a certain agency which has ordered a bunch of them here in their Spanish offices, it's just a pity we have to wait longer than you americans with no known reason.
Am not American.

The graphic design world had overcome way worse things than glossy displays.
So?

Behind… a 3D software app?, I am so confused about such sentence it yells to me 'mastering a software package makes you a wonderful designer', damn computers
Some of the guys in Softimage also come from an CAD/industrial design background, many have been in sports cars design.

Productive as… generator of ideas?, the workstation itself?? Are we still confusing creativity with pure raw power?
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz, guy has never seen how Photoshop users need raw power and lots of memory or fast scratch disks to help productivity. 64bit Photoshop and a system that supports more than 4GB RAM means no more scratch disks.

I'll let Adobe and Nvidia speak about how CS4, CUDA and a high performance Quadro GPU help creativity:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/adobe_photoshop.html
http://www.nvidia.com/object/product_quadro_cx_us.html
( Last edited by Super Mario; Jan 10, 2018 at 02:20 PM. )

sek929
Posting Junkie
Oct 17, 2008, 02:44 PM

http://www.dellcommunity.com/supportforums/

Have fun with your new Dell, now stop gassing on about it in a f'ing Mac forum.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Oct 17, 2008, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
http://www.dellcommunity.com/supportforums/

Have fun with your new Dell, now stop gassing on about it in a f'ing Mac forum.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

Mac User #001
Mac Elite
Oct 17, 2008, 03:13 PM

No way!

It's not quad-core
And most importantly, the Dell has a 17" edge-to-edge screen that supports 100% Adobe RGB color gamut. I don't have to buy an external monitor for color correction
Wait for the 17" MBP revision, it's not even out yet! If its not what you want, then complain and switch away from Macs.
I have returned... 2020 MacBook Air - 1.1 GHz Quad-Core i5 - 16 GB RAM

OreoCookie
Oct 17, 2008, 03:16 PM

People, be more civil here. If somebody wants a Dell laptop, let him have it. You don't have to work with it, he does. If he likes it, then it's his taste. Please respect that.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Oct 17, 2008, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
People, be more civil here. If somebody wants a Dell laptop, let him have it. You don't have to work with it, he does. If he likes it, then it's his taste. Please respect that.
I don't think people were dumping on him because he chose dell but rather he came here to say much better the dell laptops are because apple wants to make laptops smaller and lighter etc.

I have no problems with the OP using a dell, but why post here complaining about the MB/MBP line when he chose windows/dell
~Mike

sek929
Posting Junkie
Oct 17, 2008, 04:19 PM

It's not that, it's the fact he's mentioned buying this quad core Dell in about 5 different threads so far and then decided to make his own thread about it.

We understood the first time he said that the new MBPs suck and he'd be buying a Dell, no need to repeat himself a bazillion times.

OreoCookie
Oct 17, 2008, 04:32 PM

If you're sick of it, don't reply. But if you reply, do it without trading insults.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Oct 17, 2008, 05:02 PM

Insults? Where?

Is 'gassing on about it' an insult now?

analogika
Posting Junkie
Oct 17, 2008, 05:03 PM

No way!

It's not quad-core
It also neither weighs 4 kilo grams nor costs 4 and a half kilo dollars (US$ 4,396 when configured to your specs).

Enjoy!

iREZ
Professional Poster
Oct 17, 2008, 05:31 PM

It also neither weighs 4 kilo grams nor costs 4 and a half kilo dollars (US$ 4,396 when configured to your specs).

Enjoy!

fez: a BURN!
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

Kodachrome_Project
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 17, 2008, 06:21 PM

Hi Mario,

I'd be more than willing to address some of the concerns you may have when I get my 2.8/7200. I have the experience and expertise to know how this is going to shake out.

I often work with scans and digital that are 60-300MB in size as you would see by googling the user name. Up to 2GB is not out of the question either. And while this is often done at home on a built MacPro, having the road warrior engage in heavy tasking is not entirely out of the question.

We have a 24 inch iMac in another office, I actually find I like the screen for the most part. It is just like any other monitor in the way that it has a distinct signature that if you remember it, you can compensate for any anticipated changes in contrast and color scheme. With a portable, it is never perfect anyway so you let your clients know that there is room for adjustment in the final.

And as far as the glare goes, I find it easier to fine tune reflections out on a optical surface versus a diffuse one. I used my friend's MacBook one day and found I liked it a lot better. Plus, full screen slide presentations to clients are *stunning* on the all black.

Like it or not, Apple did research on this and I am fine with it, can't wait to get my new machine.

I'll take a look at it when I get it next week...
( Last edited by Kodachrome_Project; Oct 17, 2008 at 06:32 PM. )

Remlyor
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 17, 2008, 11:18 PM

No way!

It's not quad-core
This is kind of funny, but I went to Dells site and tried to customize this unit, 4GB RAM max (since larger DIMMS do not exist atm), and a warning popped when I added the second HDD "windows Vista 64 doesn't support a second drive". Buy this 8.5 lb. rock, and enjoy the world of MS Vista.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Oct 18, 2008, 03:47 AM

OK guys, am I getting this right?

A guy isn't happy with the new MBP. He gets a Dell. Fine so far. But then he comes back here to discus the new MBP he didn't want.

Sound to me like
• trolling or
• the Dell thing (whatever that was in the first place) has started to ware off or
• he has suddenly realized it comes with Vista rather than Leopard or
• he noticed he got an ugly brick rather than an elegant and sleek notebook.
You may pick two.

PaperNotes
Oct 18, 2008, 04:56 AM

Originally Posted by Remlyor View Post
This is kind of funny, but I went to Dells site and tried to customize this unit, 4GB RAM max (since larger DIMMS do not exist atm), and a warning popped when I added the second HDD "windows Vista 64 doesn't support a second drive". Buy this 8.5 lb. rock, and enjoy the world of MS Vista.
Yeah I configured one too to check. You must have a bug cause I got it configured to 16GB ram, dual HDD in RAID 0, quad core and all that. Vista sucks but who cares when you can get Photoshop CS4 to use tons of ram. CS3 was stuck at 3GB and that doesn't change on the Mac version of CS4. That Quadro 3700m is awesome. It's the same core at the 8800 Ultra. Yum

OreoCookie
Oct 18, 2008, 06:12 AM

This thing has a 210 W power adapter
(The ProBooks have 85 W power adapters, MacBooks and PowerBooks 65 W.)

There is certainly a market for luggable desktop replacements, but it's rather small. On the other hand, a few things would be nice that would make an enticing offer for pros: built-in calibration, for example, or eSATA ports. Although analogika argued that Apple will include it as soon as a bus powered version becomes available.

Other components (e. g. quad-core cpu or quadro-line gpu) are out of the question in a ProBook (or any other laptop of similar weight), I doubt the cooling system can handle 200 W of heat.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Oct 18, 2008, 10:11 AM

Although analogika argued that Apple will include it as soon as a bus powered version becomes available.
He did, eh? So from where did he get that kind of inside information?

analogika
Posting Junkie
Oct 18, 2008, 10:48 AM

It was more "hoping", really.

(I said they wouldn't include it until it had a bus-powered connector - not that they would as soon as it did. )

Simon
Posting Junkie
Oct 18, 2008, 11:47 AM

I'm with you on the hoping part. As soon as it gets bus power I'd like to see it on Macs.

That said, I'm not so sure Apple will actually do it. And not just for space reasons. Once USB3 is here, they might just say something like "oh well that's fast enough for everything anyway" and leave it at that. Actually, just what they're doing on the new MB already.

Remlyor
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 18, 2008, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by PaperNotes View Post
Yeah I configured one too to check. You must have a bug cause I got it configured to 16GB ram, dual HDD in RAID 0, quad core and all that. Vista sucks but who cares when you can get Photoshop CS4 to use tons of ram. CS3 was stuck at 3GB and that doesn't change on the Mac version of CS4. That Quadro 3700m is awesome. It's the same core at the 8800 Ultra. Yum
You must not have looked Online, there are no DDR3 SODIMMs bigger than 2gb, so the most you can load into those four sockets atm are a total of 8 GB. Btw, I'm not trading in OSX for VIsta, not happening. And truth be told, why Photoshop CS4 on friggen lame laptop from Dell? If this is all about power and speed, Super Mario is clearly on the wrong track here: Mac Pro 8 Core Xeon 2.8 Ghz, expandable to 32gb of RAM, 4 TB of HDD's (or 6 TB with 1.5 TB drives), Quadro 5700 video or ATI 3870 (OWC online). This machine would eat that silly laptop for breakfast. Since money wasn't the issue cause he's willing to throw 4400.00 into the wind.
( Last edited by Remlyor; Oct 18, 2008 at 12:25 PM. )

analogika
Posting Junkie
Oct 18, 2008, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
I'm with you on the hoping part. As soon as it gets bus power I'd like to see it on Macs.

That said, I'm not so sure Apple will actually do it. And not just for space reasons. Once USB3 is here, they might just say something like "oh well that's fast enough for everything anyway" and leave it at that. Actually, just what they're doing on the new MB already.
The question is what will replace Firewire.

I have no idea whether USB3 will be a viable alternative for production; USB2 most certainly is not.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 18, 2008, 01:40 PM

I think all three look good.
I would swear DELL is not going to get a yellow pencil for such a laptop. But to each his own.

Am not American.
Oh, my apologies.

So?
I mean glossy displays aren't the end of the world, we had to cope with the truetype-postcript thing, to struggle when printing on laser until Lucida arrived and what not… As 'Kodachrome_Project' stated, most companies do research on this while developing a product.

Some of the guys in Softimage also come from an CAD/industrial design background, many have been in sports cars design.
Funny then it was Apple who came with the unibody concept applied to laptops

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz, guy has never seen how Photoshop users need raw power and lots of memory or fast scratch disks to help productivity. 64bit Photoshop and a system that supports more than 4GB RAM means no more scratch disks.

I'll let Adobe and Nvidia speak about how CS4, CUDA and a high performance Quadro GPU help creativity
See?, productivity != creativity.

And while the DELL laptop could be a monster with a power supply suitable of a XB360, the old 'desktop replacement' title (PowerBook 3400 anyone?) is a marketing joke, do you really thing I would prefer any laptop no matter how powerful instead of a ACD 30" attached to a Mac Pro?, wouldn't you pick a desktop DELL workstation with a 30 inches DELL screen instead of that DELL laptop?. I wonder how many desktop replacement laptops are actually sitting over a desk…

desktop computers > laptops computers, It's been the same all along.

edit: 'Remlyor' made that point way clearer than me.

Atheist
Mac Elite
Oct 18, 2008, 02:04 PM

And while the DELL laptop could be a monster with a power supply suitable of a XB360, the old 'desktop replacement' title (PowerBook 3400 anyone?) is a marketing joke, do you really thing I would prefer any laptop no matter how powerful instead of a ACD 30" attached to a Mac Pro?, wouldn't you pick a desktop DELL workstation with a 30 inches DELL screen instead of that DELL laptop?. I wonder how many desktop replacement laptops are actually sitting over a desk…

desktop computers > laptops computers, It's been the same all along.

edit: 'Remlyor' made that point way clearer than me.
There are those of us that require significant performance in a mobile format. I travel 2-3 weeks a month and need a very powerful yet still portable computer. Yes this may be a niche market, but isn't the MBA a niche product? I still think it would be a smart move for Apple to make the 17" MBP as close to desktop class as possible.

Oh, and by the way, there's nothing stopping you from running Leopard on that monster Dell.

OreoCookie
Oct 18, 2008, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
He did, eh? So from where did he get that kind of inside information?
If I did know and told you, I'd have to kill ya

No, seriously, according to the SATA consortium, powered SATA will be added in 2009.

Super Mario  (op)
Oct 18, 2008, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by Remlyor View Post
You must not have looked Online, there are no DDR3 SODIMMs bigger than 2gb, so the most you can load into those four sockets atm are a total of 8 GB.
I don't know where you're getting this from. Dell's site lets you configure it with up to 16GB ram (4x4GBs).

The personalise specs form is buggy like someone said. It tells me that Vista is not compatible with one of the features of the palmrest and that Intel's a/b/g wifi chipset isn't compatible with a quad-core CPU. Heh? This one is best ordered by phone.
( Last edited by Super Mario; Jan 10, 2018 at 02:21 PM. )

analogika
Posting Junkie
Oct 18, 2008, 03:31 PM

Either it's buggy, or there are indeed incompatibilities between the various options' hardware or drivers.

After all, you're configuring a Windows system, not a Mac.

Remlyor
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 18, 2008, 03:51 PM

I don't know where you're getting this from. Dell's site lets you configure it with up to 16GB ram (4x4GBs).

The personalise specs form is buggy like someone said. It tells me that Vista is not compatible with one of the features of the palmrest and that Intel's a/b/g wifi chipset isn't compatible with a quad-core CPU. Heh? This one is best ordered by phone.
Intel® Core™ 2 Quad QX9300(2.53GHz, 12M L2 Cache,1067MHZ) Quad Core
Genuine Windows Vista® Ultimate SP1, With media
17" UltraSharp™ WideScreen WUXGA RGB LED Edge2Edge Covet Display
3 Year Basic Limited Warranty and 3 Year NBD On-Site Service
NVIDIA Quadro FX 3700M, 1.0GB Discrete
4.0GB, DDR3-1066 SDRAM, 2 DIMMS
All Hard Drives, RAID 0, 2 drive total configuration
500GB Hard Drive, 5400RPM
500GB Hard Drive, 5400RPM
8X DVD+/-RW Slot Load w/Roxio and Cyberlink PowerDVD™

and this is what the configurator allows on their web site...lol (8GB RAM?)

Forum Links
Forum Rules