Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Mac Pro and NVIDIA GeForce 9400M GPU

Mac Pro and NVIDIA GeForce 9400M GPU
ginop1
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 18, 2008, 01:38 PM

Now that the NVIDIA GeForce 9400M GPU was added in the MacBook line, do you think that we will see the NVIDIA GeForce 9400M GPU added to the Mac Pro? I was in the market for a Mac Pro, however, seeing that Apple may add the NVIDIA GeForce 9400M GPU, I might as well wait for MacWorld Expo.
--------------------------------

--> Gino J. Piazza

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 18, 2008, 04:41 PM

I don't think Apple would add a mobile (low end) GPU to the Mac Pro, they would probably add the 9800GTX though.
I don't think we'll see a new Mac Pro till Macworld SF. If you need a Mac Pro, just buy it, it won't expire and stop working as soon as a new one comes out and one of the main advantages of owning a full desktop is that you can upgrade it all!

Super Mario
Oct 18, 2008, 05:37 PM

GTX 280 would be ideal.
( Last edited by Super Mario; Jan 10, 2018 at 02:21 PM. )

goMac
Posting Junkie
Oct 18, 2008, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by ginop1 View Post
Now that the NVIDIA GeForce 9400M GPU was added in the MacBook line, do you think that we will see the NVIDIA GeForce 9400M GPU added to the Mac Pro? I was in the market for a Mac Pro, however, seeing that Apple may add the NVIDIA GeForce 9400M GPU, I might as well wait for MacWorld Expo.
Why does it matter? The 9400 is slower than the 8800.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

ginop1  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 18, 2008, 06:42 PM

I was not aware of that. Thanks for clearing it up.
--------------------------------

--> Gino J. Piazza

mduell
Posting Junkie
Oct 18, 2008, 10:36 PM

Why would Apple add a mobile chipset as an option on the Mac Pro? That doesn't make any sense.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Oct 19, 2008, 03:44 AM

Apple won't add a 9400M to the MP. But what I'd like to know is when they plan on releasing the first cards with DP. If those are released with the new MPs I sure hope the cards are backwards compatible with the current MP.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Oct 19, 2008, 03:47 AM

Originally Posted by seanc View Post
I don't think Apple would add a mobile (low end) GPU to the Mac Pro, they would probably add the 9800GTX though.
Pretty funny how the Nvidia product numbers worked out so that there could be an Nvidia 9800. Makes me think of the Radeon 9800.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

OreoCookie
Oct 19, 2008, 06:22 AM

Although there is a desktop version of the 9400, this chipset does not work with Xeon-type cpus. You will probably see it in the iMac, but not in the Mac Pro.

Plus, higher numbers ≠ faster.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 25, 2008, 12:10 PM

For a long time I suspected that Mac Pro upgradeability was a practical joke on Apple customers because the upgrade cards are rare (as in I can count the models with one hand) and expensive. But today, I find that the newest "Made for Mac" GPUs won't upgrade last year's Mac Pro (not to mention the PowerMac G5).
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2848?viewlocale=en_US
http://www.insidemacgames.com/news/story.php?ID=16089
http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/geforce8800/
My Pentium 4 Dell is more upgradeable. Shouldn't Apple feel a little shame and make their Pro desktops actually future proof?
Doesn't this affect resale value? I know I wouldn't pay much for a desktop that can't be upgraded with a current gen videocard.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Oct 25, 2008, 05:17 PM

8800GT for $300 and X1900 for $400 is the real joke.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Oct 26, 2008, 05:27 AM

Have GPU hackers had any success with flashing PC cards with Mac firmware for Mac Pros? It's shocking that Apple can always find a way to limit GPU upgrade potential.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Forum Links
Forum Rules