Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Roxio Toast Titanium 8 [vs] 9 [vs] 10

Roxio Toast Titanium 8 [vs] 9 [vs] 10
Banghazi
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 13, 2009, 10:14 PM

We suspect that Toast 10 (& maybe 9) may be unnecessary $100 bloatware clones of Toast 9 (or maybe 8). Something rubbed me the wrong way when I started using v10 and realized it no longer had DivX support. Dropping HDDVD support I can sort of understand, but DivX?
__________________________________________________ _________________________________________
__________________________________________________ _________________________________________

Roxio Toast Titanium 8 vs 9 vs 10

Toast 8.0.4
• Great 1950's style toaster
• Burns DivX discs
• ~225MB
• GUI is less-polished version of v9's

"What's New" in Toast 8 (via VersionTracker)
•Exclusive support for TiVo and EyeTV digital video recorders.
•Disc Cataloging
•Multiple Disc Spanning
•Audio CD crossfades & "sound enhancing filters"
•Pictures Discs
•DVD Backup/Compression, Conversion for iPod, PSP, DivX
•Blu-ray
•Personalized labels/case covers/inserts printing & etching..

gui:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3444/...4382b681_o.png

Toast 9.0.4
• Darth Vader's toaster
• Burns DivX discs
• ~325MB (less than half the size of 10)
• GUI is attractive, shiny, easy to see

"What's New" in Toast 9 (via VersionTracker)
•Burn HD camcorder content, TiVo, & Elgato EyeTV to Blu-ray Disc (BD).
•HD video, slide shows to DVD
•Capture streaming audio for recording Internet radio.
•Automatic tagging for song title, artist, album, etc.

gui:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3411/...d56b3dbf_o.png

Toast 10.x
• Posh Uptown Urban-Outfitters 500 dollar fashionable toaster
• Does NOT burn DivX discs
• ~675MB (more than twice the size of 9)
• "New polished GUI" is a faded, harder-to-see version of 9

"What's New" in Toast 10 (via VersionTracker)
•AVCHD Archive Backup original video from AVCHD camcorders direct to DVD or BD media in one easy step.
Use the discs in BD players or as source materials in future iMovie or Toast projects.
•Convert audiobook CDs into single audiobook files with individual chapters.
•Capture streaming audio. Automatically split captured songs into tracks, automatically tag them with title and artist information.
•Synchronize folders bi-directionally between multiple computers, network volumes or external hard disks.
•Over 20 new DVD and Blu-ray Disc menu styles.

gui:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3113/...cc7c9d54_o.png

MikeD
Mac Elite
Jan 16, 2009, 12:02 PM

Thanks for the compilation of features. I think there may also be some TivoToGo features updated since 8/9 as well. But if you don't use that, then there's nothing to worry about (I have a sling box so depend on slingmedia software).

I am still on Toast 8 and only use it now and then. So I don't think that it's necessary to drop the $$ to upgrade. And it looks like they have a new version of Toast every year in Jan.
2009 MacMini 2.0 C2D 4GB (3,1) - Needs update!
11" MBA (2010 1.6GHz C2D)
iPhone 4 / iPad!
Hooked on Apple since the IIGS

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 18, 2009, 01:44 AM

I agree. After a numerous update of Toast and Popcorn, I got tired of it. Right now, I stay with version 8.0.4 since I don't need any HD stuff.

Gankdawg
Professional Poster
Jan 18, 2009, 08:37 AM

5.2.3 here. I don't need any HD stuff and rarely burn discs. It works fine in Leopard so for me, why upgrade?

-Q-
Jan 18, 2009, 11:12 AM

Agreed - they just seem to have run out of compelling reasons for me to upgrade so I'll be stopping at 8 for the foreseeable future.

Veltliner
Mac Elite
Jan 18, 2009, 04:31 PM

I guess Toast 10 will be just a new interfaces and that's it.

You can do anything with Toast 9. As there is no upgrade option with Roxio ( you have to buy the whole software again), upgarde doesn't make sense.

You can download streaming internet and tag it in version 9 (at least it's promised to do so, don't know if it works), and burn back-ups to your dvds. That's pretty much what it is about.

For regular disc burning you can as well use iDVD or Final Cut Pro's DVD STudio pro.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 18, 2009, 04:42 PM

Toast size is out of this world, Disco (the burning app) size is a one tenth part of Toast 9 file and works great.

I have deleted some stuff I guess am not going to need from Toast 9 resources folder (namely Roxio Restore for Windows, Toast DVD Menu Styles and Toast Video Player) and the app is still over 110MB which coming from 340 is a huge step forward but I still find it unreasonably huge.

The comments about the icons are funny.

64stang06
Mac Elite
Jan 18, 2009, 06:09 PM

I believe Toast 10 is now over 600MB for the app itself.
MacBook Pro 13" 2.8GHz Core i7/8GB RAM/750GB Hard Drive - Mac OS X 10.7.3

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Jan 18, 2009, 06:45 PM

No DivX is pretty annoying. I hope I never need to upgrade from Toast 7, since I imagine 8 and 9 will be hard to find.

Although after I got a DVD player that could play divx files, I think I pretty much stopped using toast entirely.

Hal Itosis
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 18, 2009, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by angelmb View Post
I have deleted some stuff I guess am not going to need from Toast 9 resources folder (namely Roxio Restore for Windows, Toast DVD Menu Styles and Toast Video Player) and the app is still over 110MB which coming from 340 is a huge step forward but I still find it unreasonably huge.
How about (foreign) *.lproj folders and designable.nib files... any of those still remaining?
-HI-

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jan 18, 2009, 08:21 PM

Toast size is out of this world, Disco (the burning app) size is a one tenth part of Toast 9 file and works great.
Yes, but at least Toast offers more features than Disk Utility.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Mac Write
Mac Elite
Feb 1, 2009, 01:56 AM

If Roxio really wants to get people to upgrade to Toast 11m they must include the ability to burn to multiple drives simotaniously. This has been a request for a long time.
Get busy living or get busy dying
--Stephen King

Veltliner
Mac Elite
Feb 1, 2009, 01:58 AM

Roxio should include an upgrade pricing.

Should be one of the last software company where you have to pay full price for every version.

Sure, they offer a 20$ rebate for upgrading. But to get those 20$, that's quite a tough task. Just read the comments on amazon.com

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 1, 2009, 05:16 AM

Originally Posted by Hal Itosis View Post
How about (foreign) *.lproj folders and designable.nib files... any of those still remaining?
Where are those located?, I was not able to find any 'designable.nib' file…just the standard English.lproj, Spanish.lproj… folders.

Hal Itosis
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 1, 2009, 04:27 PM

Where are those located?, I was not able to find any 'designable.nib' file…just the standard English.lproj, Spanish.lproj… folders.
This command will answer that question (requires 10.5 as written):

sudo find -x / -name designable.nib -exec du -sch {} +

That just measures the crap (with du), doesn't harm a single hair.
-HI-

RacerX
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 2, 2009, 12:42 AM

Originally Posted by Veltliner View Post
Roxio should include an upgrade pricing.

Should be one of the last software company where you have to pay full price for every version.

Sure, they offer a 20$ rebate for upgrading. But to get those 20$, that's quite a tough task. Just read the comments on amazon.com
A lot of people have missed this but they do have upgrade pricing on their website. You have to log in to your account, go to the home page then follow the link "Upgrade Center" on the right. You will see a link to purchase the upgrade to toast 10, at $59 without any rebate garbage... It used to be if you left the upgrade in your cart and sat there at the screen for a few minutes they would give you another 10% off. I did this with 8 and 9. I haven't upgraded to 10 yet and not sure if I will...

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 2, 2009, 06:43 AM

This command will answer that question (requires 10.5 as written):

sudo find -x / -name designable.nib -exec du -sch {} +

That just measures the crap (with du), doesn't harm a single hair.
Thanks, it turned out I have a hell of designable.nib resources on my hard disk belonging to a bunch of apps…

Hal Itosis
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 2, 2009, 07:52 PM

The last line should have printed the total size... do you recall what it was (is)?
-HI-

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Feb 4, 2009, 02:37 AM

No Div-X as in it doesn't convert Div-X files to DVD video anymore? Huh?

8 is the best. As far as I could tell 9 just added a bunch of DVD menu themes that looked like ass (thankfully copying them over from 8 works fine).

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 4, 2009, 06:32 AM

The last line should have printed the total size... do you recall what it was (is)?
27M total

Koyangie
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 12, 2009, 11:32 AM

Have just made a major investment in upgrading my MacPro by adding Totast 10 Titanium Pro, a blu-ray recorder (pioneer from OWC), additional storage and memory. My goal was to edit and publish video from my Sony HD Handycam (FX-1000) to BluRay disc for playback on my home theater system. After several weeks of efforts I have yet to be successful in producing a readable blu-ray disc. I capture from tape to Final Cut HD Express, do my edits and export as a HD QT movie (I've tried both Video HD-264, 1920X 1080, 29.97 FPS and Apple Intermediate Codec 1440 X 1080, 29.97 FPS) import into Toast (Video - Blu-Ray Video) and record to Blu-Ray 25GB Disc. I am attempted to work through IMovie 2009. Toast goes through the motions of encoding and writing but the end product can not be read by my Home Theater Sony Blu-Ray player or a Sony PC with a Blu-Ray drive. This has been a very frustrating trail and error process without any usable end results. I am also used the BDMV folder options and wrote to my hard drive without any luck. What am I missing?
Thanks,
Koyangie

Eden Aurora
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 12, 2009, 05:42 PM

There is another thread on blu-ray burners and OS X. see that.
I eat turtle soup for breakfast

Forum Links
Forum Rules