Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Question for Chefs about Knives

Question for Chefs about Knives (Page 2)
nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Jan 31, 2009, 12:11 PM

We got a set of Shuns as a wedding present. I love those knives.

aberdeenwriter
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 31, 2009, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
I have two knives from the same line for close to 10 years now, they work flawlessly. I almost cut my finger off last weekend, though (it cut cleanly through my fingernail and nicked my fingertip)

Go for the medium-sized chef knife, the small one is too, well, small.
You may have a scar and or a slight discoloration under the nail as a memento of your mishap for the next 30 years if your experience is the same as mine was. I shaved off the end of my nail and finger flesh with a 12 inch knife while making a sandwich at a deli where I worked.

Notes to those working with knives:

A knife is dangerous if it is sharp and it may be more dangerous if it is supposed to be but isn't sharp.

Beware pretty but slippery metal handles.

And never try to catch a falling blade, btw.
Consider these posts as my way of introducing you to yourself.

Proud "SMACKDOWN!!" and "Golden Troll" Award Winner.

OreoCookie
Jan 31, 2009, 02:04 PM

I got my mom a nice Japanese santoku a few years ago. My dad is not allowed to touch it. Period. (He's not so good with sharp objects, or blunt objects for that matter.)
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Dork.
Professional Poster
Feb 2, 2009, 05:26 PM

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 2, 2009, 09:17 PM

Needs a big friggin vegetable cleaver

(link fixinated)
( Last edited by ShortcutToMoncton; Feb 2, 2009 at 09:40 PM. )
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 2, 2009, 09:23 PM

^ Not found.

Ratm
Mac Elite
Feb 3, 2009, 11:15 PM

I worked in kitchens for a number of years and the cook/chefs were always looking for the perfect blade. Loyalty for a particular brand only came when it was put it to the test. The most important thing they looked for was weight/balance. The middle of the blade should rest on your finger, and it should balance perfectly.

L'enfanTerrible
Mac Elite
Feb 5, 2009, 09:58 PM

I've worked in a few restaurants and own a mixed set of chefs knives, including 2 Globals and a henckels santoku. The Global G2 (pictured earlier) is my favorite by far, mainly because it doesn't have a large front bolster, the way European knives do. The handle on the Global knives is also really comfortable, and the little dimples act like suction cups if your hand is wet. The real difference with Globals is that their edges are not bevelled like many European knives are, producing a remarkable sharpness. Get an inexpensive ceramic knife steel to keep your edges honed and they will last a long time.

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 6, 2009, 05:46 AM

All I know is that one of the mods needs to correct the title of this thread. Knifes != knives.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

OreoCookie
Feb 6, 2009, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by shifuimam View Post
All I know is that one of the mods needs to correct the title of this thread. Knifes != knives.
At your service. (I hope none of the Lounge mods mind.)
( Last edited by OreoCookie; Feb 6, 2009 at 08:30 AM. )
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Feb 6, 2009, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by ShortcutToMoncton View Post
I usually cut veggies with a cleaver. However, up until recently I've traditionally used el-cheapo cleavers that are really a little too underbuilt to cut chicken bones, and a little too thick to properly cut veggies.

I like the Global G49 though for cutting veggies. It's fairly thin, and I love the balance. Some have reported that they didn't like the handle because it's too small. However, I have small hands. Kinda reminds me of the opposite of --- tangent coming --- original Xbox controller. Many North American loved it, but those of us with small hands didn't.

The only issue with a cleaver is that they're not scalloped so the cut veggies sometimes tend to stick to the side. I don't use it to cut more heavy duty stuff either.

Anyways, a chef dropped by to buy a Mac off me. He said he stopped using Global knives... but not because of the weighting or the size. He liked those features. What he didn't like was the fact that after daily use for several years he noted some discolouration on a couple of them. Not sure what he meant exactly by discolouration though. I think he mainly uses Shun now, but it couldn't have been for that long because he was a fairly young guy.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 24, 2009, 01:31 PM

I just picked up a 120mm Sakai Takayuki Grand Chef petty knife. Was casually looking for the MAC equivalent, but they're harder to find up here.

It's a great compliment to my MAC chef's knife! At some point, I'd like to get a vegetable cleaver but this'll have to do for now....

greg
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

Forum Links
Forum Rules