Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > New Mac Mini partial memory upgrade

New Mac Mini partial memory upgrade
Realtime
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 8, 2009, 10:24 PM

Thinking about ordering a new Mac Mini ($599 base version) with 2gb of stock RAM from Apple (adding 1gb option). If later, wanting to do another memory upgrade myself by adding an additional 2gb of OEM RAM (say, from Crucial), would that work? Or must all the memory be from the same Manufacturer and same model?

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 8, 2009, 10:42 PM

I would stick with 1GB from Apple, and immediately order a 2GB for it from a 3rd party. Spending $50 to fill a slot, but not max it doesn't seem very smart IMO.

A 2GB stick can be had for $34 from OWC.

Realtime  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 8, 2009, 10:57 PM

Thanks. What I meant was running with just a 2gb stick from Apple, then later adding another 2gb OEM stick myself (from Crucial). But maybe I'm mistaken in how Apple configures memory, in that when ordering a base model with the extra 1gb RAM option, they install 2 1gb sticks rather than giving you a single 2gb stick. Then I see what you're saying and makes sense not to go this route.

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 9, 2009, 05:32 AM

Yes. Apple gives you two 1GB sticks.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Mar 9, 2009, 05:37 AM

If you order it with 2 GB of RAM it will come with 2x1GB.

What you want to do is order it with the base 1 GB (which comes as 1x1GB) and then add a 2GB stick. Another option is getting it with the base 1 GB and right from the start installing two 2GB sticks as soon as you get your new Mac mini.

2GB Crucial $29
2x2GB Crucial $53 (includes shipping)

Realtime  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 9, 2009, 02:31 PM

Thanks for the great help. 2x2GB is the way to go for $53. Seems kind of wasteful that in most upgrade scenarios, those 1 GB sticks from Apple are tossed aside.

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Mar 9, 2009, 02:58 PM

At least they didn't configure the base model with 2x512MB, because those are totally and completely worthless. At least the 1x1GB configuration allows you to perform significant upgrades without having to toss out the original one.

"That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!" *wheeze*

Simon
Posting Junkie
Mar 9, 2009, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by Realtime View Post
Thanks for the great help. 2x2GB is the way to go for $53. Seems kind of wasteful that in most upgrade scenarios, those 1 GB sticks from Apple are tossed aside.
Keep the 1GB stick around. If you ever have to send it in to Apple you're better off reinstalling the original DIMM.

Forum Links
Forum Rules