Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Car audio help needed

Car audio help needed
macfantn
Mac Elite
May 2, 2009, 07:45 PM

I have an '06 4 dr ex civic w/ a blown front door speaker. I have the factory radio, if I replace the front speakers with say some cheap pioneers or something will the factory radio be able to drive them?
"I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin', and hook up with them later"

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
May 3, 2009, 03:34 AM

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
May 3, 2009, 04:44 AM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
Gee, Lammy, I really don't know *why* you are an idiot, but it's nice that you found an internet to help you try and figger it out.

Reported.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
May 3, 2009, 04:50 AM

Originally Posted by macfantn View Post
I have an '06 4 dr ex civic w/ a blown front door speaker. I have the factory radio, if I replace the front speakers with say some cheap pioneers or something will the factory radio be able to drive them?
The only thing to look out for is the correct impedance.

It's printed on back of the speaker, measured in ohms (Ω). If you have 8Ω speakers in there, you should replace them with 8Ω speakers.

Obviously, sound quality will deteriorate if you use complete crap speakers, but then again, anybody who speaks of "hi-fidelity" in car audio probably isn't talking about truthfulness to the original signal ("fidelity"), anyway.

hookem2oo7
Senior User
May 3, 2009, 08:33 AM

Depending on what kind of speakers are in there, a pair of cheap pioneers will probably sound tons better. I know in my car the factory speaker blew in my drivers side door and it was a super high quality paper cone speaker. The paper had gotten wet somehow and turned into mush.

Gankdawg
Professional Poster
May 3, 2009, 09:09 AM

Go to crutchfield.com and use their configurator. Wait, is configurator even a word?

Anyway, find out what will fit and start shopping. If you buy from them, they provide you with any wiring harnesses and diagrams needed to install the speakers. The downside is you will like pay retail but their service is excellent.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
May 3, 2009, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
Gee, Lammy, I really don't know *why* you are an idiot, but it's nice that you found an internet to help you try and figger it out.

Reported.
Drat! You got me!1!!

In retrospect, I should probably refrain from posting at 2:30 AM when I'm buzzed.

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
May 3, 2009, 11:31 AM

Another vote for buying from Crutchfield. I get all my car audio stuff from them. Great customer service and they give you everything you need to get the job done.

The only time I've had problems with combining factory and aftermarket was with my '94 Maxima SE, which had Bose speakers. The speakers were individually amplified, so an aftermarket radio wouldn't work with them. It ended up being a hell of a project to install the new speakers - I had to buy boxes from a Nissan dealership, and I had to have custom plates made for the speakers because they weren't big enough for the boxes. Fortunately, my then-boyfriend's dad owned a metal manufacturing company, so I didn't have to pay anything for the plates.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

Forum Links
Forum Rules