Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > network/configuration/organization questions

network/configuration/organization questions
garyton
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 31, 2012, 07:27 AM

Sorry in advance or the length of this query but I am struggling with getting my family's apple hardware working together efficiently. I hope you guys can help me.

I will be getting a new IPad for work that I use for e-mail, checking a few web sites and IPhoto mostly. I mail pictures regularly within e-mail attachments. I take the pics and transfer now using CF and SD cards with a card reader into my current Man Book Pro. I plan to use the IPad directly to take some pics in the future.
I have a wireless network with several pc's at work that the Mac Book is linked to.
I plan to use the same network for the IPad.

At home my wife has a wireless network with a Man Pro and the MacBook Pro that I bring home each day and several PC's.

Our real problem is that we now have about 5 IPhoto libraries of which two are mine. They are not the same as sometimes I load pics at work into the MacBook Pro at work and sometimes I load them at home on the Mac Pro. She can not sync them because the versions are so different even although both systems are running on Snow Leopard.
Now she is switching us over to ICloud so that when I load my pictures into the IPad they will automatically go to all the libraries she is saying.
How will she identify which library they go to so they stay synced?
I accumulate lots of photos. Even though I am planing on getting the 64 GB IPad I am thinking I should consider an external hard drive such as a new Thunderbolt connection SSD hard drive I was reading about.
When I purchase the IPad should I consider the 4G version? I do not want the regularly monthly expense as I do not think I need it. I have two 3GS phones now with ATT of which they are on the I Cloud also for e-mail.
What do you suggest I do to get all these things working together and organized especially relating to IPhoto libraries.
My wife has each computer set up with 2 users and she is the administrator.
Thanks
Gary

mooblie
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 31, 2012, 09:08 AM

Get a NAS, and put all your photos on that in a single library?
Martin in the Scottish Highlands

Forum Links
Forum Rules