Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > camera store in San Francisco

camera store in San Francisco
OreoCookie
Jun 12, 2007, 12:52 PM

I'd like to get a telephoto lens, preferably with 2.8 aperture (the depth of field with 4-5.6 is just too large), so I wanted to go to some camera stores in The City. Of course, I could always go to some shady vendor in China Town who also sells post cards and batteries, if I just wanted to get some gray import.

So I was wondering where the `good' camera stores in San Francisco are, does anyone have a pointer?
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

iMOTOR
Mac Elite
Jun 12, 2007, 01:43 PM

Calumet Photo on bryant st.

Oversoul
Senior User
Jun 12, 2007, 04:03 PM

Plenty of Wolf/Ritz Cameras in the city (Van Ness, Potrero Center, Market and Church), but I don't suggest these unless you want to get ripped off.

I echo Calumet Photo on Bryant if you want to get your lens as soon as possible from a reputable dealer. If you can wait a few days, I highly suggest you order from B&H Photo or even Amazon as I've found that they're usually cheaper and offer savings on no tax and (at least with Amazon) shipping.

OreoCookie  (op)
Jun 12, 2007, 04:48 PM

Thanks a lot guys, I guess I'll try Camulet then. I've been to Ritz to get a camera bag (and I knew that I wouldn't save much ordering from somewhere else; also I wanted to be sure it fits into my backpack). I kinda suspected it wasn't the best place, the salesman was too pushy and not really willing to help me (as I had very specific size constraints).

Thing is that I want to try the different lenses, I've never owned a Sigma lens and I want to know whether it's worth spending some extra bucks for a Tokina … and whether having HSM/AF-S or not will make a difference to me.

I've gotten a Color Spyder 2 Express for a very good price at amazon and it seems their prices are quite reasonable.

Do they also sell used stuff? I've been checking out Craig's List, but since the lenses (2.8/80-200 or 50-135/150, perhaps even a fixed focal length lens) I'm interested are fairly new and popular, I guess nobody is selling.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Oversoul
Senior User
Jun 13, 2007, 06:16 AM

If you want to try on different lenses, then going in store is definitely the way to go. I've found the Calumet staff to be knowledgeable, and they should be able to answer your questions.

As for used equipment, it's my recollection that they do sell used. However, I don't have actual experience buying used because I always tend to buy new.

The thing about lenses though is they generally retain a very high resale value, depending on how well they are treated. A clean lens will resell for a much higher return than a camera body, for example.

Forum Links
Forum Rules