Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Why can't we use iChat with our iPhones?

Why can't we use iChat with our iPhones?
alligator
Mac Elite
Jul 29, 2008, 10:35 PM

I tried to use iChat tonight to connect to my iPhone, but iChat won't let me type in my phone number. It requires an AIM, .Mac or MobileMe name. Why? Apple makes both products, why can't they work together?

Also, is there a better IM software package than the standard one that Apple puts out that doesn't use AT&T SMS? For example, Google Talk on my BlackBerry uses my data plan, not my SMS messages.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 29, 2008, 10:47 PM

Not sure what you mean. You can download the AIM client from the app store with no problem and use your standard AIM account.

AIM, which iChat uses, doesn't recognize phone numbers. That has nothing to do with Apple and everything with the backbone iChat is using. When iChat first came out Apple had to decide which existing IM network to use and AIM (AOL Instant Messenger) won out. AIM, or any IM network for that matter, is not a substitute for SMS messages. The two are fundamentally different technologies.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jul 29, 2008, 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by alligator View Post
I tried to use iChat tonight to connect to my iPhone, but iChat won't let me type in my phone number. It requires an AIM, .Mac or MobileMe name. Why? Apple makes both products, why can't they work together?
Why would you expect that sort of integration from Apple? They don't even support tethering with a Mac and an iPhone.

Use the free AIM client on the iPhone, although it's of questionable utility without PNS.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jul 30, 2008, 02:29 AM

Originally Posted by alligator View Post
If you want to send a message to a specific iPhone you can do that through SMS. In iChat set up an AIM buddy. As an account name use a phone number starting with +1 (country code for the US). Text messages will be sent to that number as SMS. If you are utside of North America (+1 numbers) you are out of luck though.

Of course you can also just use the menu command in iChat > File > Send SMS... You will still need a +1 phone number though.

philm
Mac Elite
Jul 30, 2008, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by Mastrap View Post
AIM, which iChat uses, doesn't recognize phone numbers.
Oh yes it does!

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 30, 2008, 03:53 PM

Apparently I stand corrected.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jul 30, 2008, 04:16 PM

Only in the United States, though.

moep
Senior User
Jul 30, 2008, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
Why would you expect that sort of integration from Apple? They don't even support tethering with a Mac and an iPhone.
I’m quite sure Apple would *love* to add tethering via USB to the iPhone. Mobile 7.2mbps internet access for your Macbook using just the iPhone — technically easily doable and a huge selling point. That’s the theory.
In reality however AT&T and the other providers would never ever let them do this. Oh well, maybe in 3 years or so.

(sorry for the derail)
"The road to success is dotted with the most tempting parking spaces."

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 30, 2008, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by analogika View Post
Only in the United States, though.
Works in Canada too, but Rogers wanted to charge me for my test SMS. So I told them to eff off.

Forum Links
Forum Rules