Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Safari needs Keychain Access integration

Safari needs Keychain Access integration
pdjr
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 10, 2003, 03:13 PM

I hate opening up my encrypted passwords.txt file to enter ids and passwords in Safari. How fast will Safari enable Keychain Access? Hope it's soon.

iPond317
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 10, 2003, 03:29 PM

Two words...

Beta

Feedback

Give it time and let Apple know what you want to see. So far, I'm very impressed with Safari, I've stopped using Chimera.
iPond317 | ODU Apple Campus Rep
"Ten years ago down by the lake I sunk my sweet love down to her watery grave." - Hello Again | DMB

Old: Apple IIc, PowerMac 7200/90, iMac Bondi Blue 233, Titanium PowerBook G4 400 - New: MacBook 2.0, iPhone 8GB, AirPort Extreme Gb, iPod 30GB 5th Gen

BuonRotto
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 10, 2003, 03:46 PM

I thought it does? I have used a keychain password on at least one site. I entered the info the first time in a sheet, then I went back yesterday, and it threw up that keychain dialog about whether I wanted to decode the password only once or always.

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Jan 10, 2003, 04:07 PM

Originally posted by BuonRotto:
I thought it does? I have used a keychain password on at least one site. I entered the info the first time in a sheet, then I went back yesterday, and it threw up that keychain dialog about whether I wanted to decode the password only once or always.
There's KeyChain support for that type of authentication, but not for forms-based authentication such as for these forums.
Vandelay Industries

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Jan 10, 2003, 04:26 PM

It's worth noting that this may well not make it in, since storing passwords on a machine in any form is a serious security risk. This is another of the major problems with Windows and IE; Microsoft has emabled things which undermine security because some people think they're marginally more convenient.

However, given that it already has Keychain support for standard HTTP authentication, it may be added for forms-based authentication. Keep in mind, however, that this is significantly more difficult, as it requires scanning the forms and looking for information which might be login/password info. That could cause a slight performance hit; are you prepared for that?
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

KidRed
Professional Poster
Jan 10, 2003, 10:12 PM

It got keychain access. Datek.com never asks for my pass anymore and once while going to a pass protected site keychain access dialog popped up.
All Your Signature Are Belong To Us!

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Jan 10, 2003, 10:27 PM

Originally posted by KidRed:
It got keychain access. Datek.com never asks for my pass anymore and once while going to a pass protected site keychain access dialog popped up.
As has been said before, it uses the KeyChain for HTTP authentication but not for forms-based authentication. If a forms-based site is not challenging you for authentication, then they are using cookies to store the credentials.
Vandelay Industries

pdjr  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 11, 2003, 04:50 PM

Thanks to all for the info. My fingers are still crossed. Does that mean the using Chimera comprimises the security of my user ids and passwords?

Forum Links
Forum Rules